5.0 out of 5 stars Simply THE Best!
Published on Dec 29 1998

1.0 out of 5 stars Way too overrated!
Published on June 9 2003 by Csaba Kiss

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply THE Best!, Dec 29 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Mother Knows Best: The Natural Way to Train Your Dog (Hardcover)
I own a full library of dog books and of all the training methods I've studied, Carol's is definitly the best. Mother Knows Best gives a logical approach to raising a canine companion. Scattered throughout the book are humerous quips and cartoons in addition to the easy to read format. Benjamin's training methods are humane and appropriate for any dog. She provides many solutions to common problems and gives suggestions on correct ways to discipline and reward according to your dog's temperment. Her book contains a house training schedule for puppies as well as puppy manners and obedience. I would recommend this book to absolutely anyone. I only wish I could give it MORE than 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book!, Oct. 5 2001
By A Customer
I've read many dog training books but never anything like this one. This boog goes far beyond simply training your dog for obedience. It's about REALLY communicating with your dog.
I've had dogs before and enjoyed them, but I never thought they can actually communicate - in the broader sense of the word.
'Mother knows best' changed my whole perspective on dogs, and taught me that a dog can, and should have, a vocabulary that can grow with time.
I have a wonderful little pup that I picked up from the street.
He's seven months old now and he already knows so many words.
Whenever I go to the park with him I'm the envy of all other dog owners. He comes immediately when called, knows how to sit and stay, and so much more. There's no bigger pleasure than being able to let him run free, without a leash, knowing that he won't run away, run to the road, or fight with other dogs.
A wonderful wonderful book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dog training at its' best, this book is excellent!, July 11 1999
By A Customer
I've had dogs all my life and I've read many books on dog training and this one is my favorite. I used Benjamins' method to train my last two dogs, and I can honestly say the results were wonderful. Written with humor and insight, this book is easy to read and very educational. Whether you are a fisrt time puppy owner or have an older dog, this book has something for you. Benjamin gives plenty of information that helps you understand your dogs' perspective and makes training fun for both you and your dog. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in raising their dog to be a loving, life-long companion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you, Carol Lea Benjamin., Nov. 19 1997
R. Moore "Tripping Billy" (Plymouth, MA United States) - See all my reviews
I'm amazed that nobody has commented on this wonderful book yet. Carol Lea Benjamin has crafted a delightful read that not only informs, but entertains at the same time. And her wisdom, which is mostly common sense -- something often severely lacking when it comes to pet ownership -- is apparent in every word she's chosen.
As Benjamin says well into the book, "We were all brought up to feel we could raise our children and dogs without the help of anyone. But often, to our surprise and dismay, we cannot ... Modern man does not automatically take on the role of alpha dog and do everything properly." Her philosophy of assuming the role of the dog's parent, rather than the dog's owner as most people do, rings especially true in this modern age of political correctness, but that's not why I applaud "Mother Knows Best." Raising a dog and raising a child are two very different things, and most pet owners either feel that they are the same thing or that raising a dog isn't worth the same effort it takes to raise a child. And how unfortunate is such a lack of insight! Carol Benjamin has taken the time and initiative to clearly put that into words and to observe the interaction between a puppy and his natural mother to translate it for us mere humans so that we can give our puppies the type of attention they naturally need, and deserve.
It's brilliant to suggest that the flat-out easiest way to train your animal is to do it in the same manner that it's natural mother would. And it's proven an especially successful method in creating an irrepressible bond between us and our pup. Marley Sage is only 5 months old now, but with Carol's naturally humane techniques and reassuring guidance, she's not only our best friend, but she's also the best, most well-behaved and considerate house guest we've ever had. I urge anyone even considering pet ownership to read and treasure this book. And if you know dog owners, get a copy for them also!

1.0 out of 5 stars Way too overrated!, June 9 2003
Csaba Kiss (Stockholm, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This book was a big disappointment. There's nothing new in the book. The concept of "Mother knows best" is just plain wrong. Teaching a dog has nothing to do with being a surrogate mother. The author keeps repeating herself without providing useful information. The whole book could be shortened to an insteresting article in a dog magazine. In its present form it is way too long. The author also contradicts herself many times. She emphasizes that learning should be fun for the dog and the owner, then on page 107 when she teaches SIT STAY she writes "He [The dog]understands that when you call him he must go to you and that if he doesn't, you will bore hime to death..." All in all, I would not recommend this book to any serious dog owner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Book, July 1 2002
As a trainer of Assistance Dogs for persons with disabilities this book has been the foundation of my training methods and I have been using it since I started with my own pet dogs at the age of 15. It is very well written and the basic concept... WONDERFUL!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent and easy, Oct. 13 2001
I am a first time dog owner and had no idea how to narrow the vastness of dog/puppy training books down to one decent book. My breeder recommended this book to me. This book is fun to read, very easy to follow, very thorough, and takes you through the process in the correct order (so you don't have to read the entire book to begin your training!) An added bonus: the author has a great sense of humor.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, June 13 2000
I raised two dogs using techniques from this book (including one that came to me at two years old ! ). I have never had to raise a hand to them and people constantly comment on how they obey my voice. This is the one book I recommed to all new owners of dogs. A great investment !

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Dog, Best Book, Feb. 21 2000
By A Customer
I used this book to train my dog over 10 years ago. I enjoyed reading the book and it helped to make Chelsea one of the sweetest most well behaved dogs I know. This book is full of common-sense ideas for training your dog and it is so well written. If you're training a dog or you just love animals, this book is wonderful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Our Great Dog is the Best Compliment for this Book, Dec 7 1999
Rebecca P. Davis "Rebecca Davis" (St Petersburg, FL USA) - See all my reviews
After reading this thoroughly enjoyable book and following it word for word in training our lab, we have also lent it to other puppy owners who have been similarily successful. Our family and friends are always amazed by how well-trained and well-behaved our Miller is and we have Ms. Benhamin's book to thank for giving us the right direction and motivation for working with our dog. I'm about to buy a couple more copies for Christmas gifts!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Mother Knows Best: The Natural Way to Train Your Dog
Mother Knows Best: The Natural Way to Train Your Dog by Carol Lea Benjamin (Hardcover - March 1 1985)
CDN$ 35.36 CDN$ 28.58