5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read
We have 1 rescue dog already and have been thinking about getting another. This book has been extremely helpful - with everything from basic training techniques to tips on how to bond with your new-to-you canine companion. Definately a good read for anyone who has a rescue dog, or has been thinking about rescuing one.
Published on Oct. 8 2010 by Laura

3.0 out of 5 stars Falls short talking about adopted/rescued dogs
I hate to be contrary, but this is primarily a book about training your dog, not about re-homing a dog. I give the book 4 stars for training suggestions, but only 2 for talking about specific issues for a rescued/adopted pet.
Published on April 13 2000 by E. Carley

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, Oct. 8 2010
This review is from: Second-Hand Dog: How to Turn Yours into a First-Rate Pet (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars GOOD ADVICE FOR PERSONS ADOPTING OLDER DOGS, Dec 6 2002
By A Customer
As an adoption counselor, I recommend this book to every shelter client who adopts an older dog. the book clearly explains behaviors common in adult dogs who have had the misfortune to have more than one home. Moreover, it reinforces the fact that one can teach any "old" dog all sorts of new skills.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for shelter dog adopters, Feb. 4 2002
KJB "kjbatl" (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
I found this book to be useful when I adopted a shelter dog a few years ago, and ordered another copy for my parents, who recently adopted and adult dog from a shelter. Although not the most in-depth training book available, it helped all of us understand the psyche of the dogs better, and eased some of the confusion and frustrations (for the owner and the dog) that can be associated with the experience. Our dogs are now happy, well-trained family members, and this book certainly contributed to that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give An Adult Dog a Chance!!, July 18 2001
"mtribit" (United States) - See all my reviews
I have two rescue dogs, and this was a wonderful read. From how to prepare for their arrival, to bringing them home, to relationships with my kids, this book helped.I am so happy to see books promoting adoption of dogs rather than puppies! What a wonderful alternative, and you may be saving a life!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has saved two dog/owner relationships, Feb. 3 2001
rodboomboom (St. Louis, Missouri United States) - See all my reviews
Years ago a friend gave me my second Great Pyrenees. It was an unfortunate scene as the owner was moving out of the area to a place she could not take the dog with her. For two days, the dog would not come in the house, and if you've ever tried to move a 130 lb. Pyr who doesn't want to move, you'll do what I did: try every form of bribery, then all that failing, tie her up secure on the back porch.
On the third day, another dog lover gave me this book. It helped me understand how to progress with this wonderful dog who had just been abandoned by her family. This book really worked. Had the dog for over ten years, one of the best relationships with a dog I've had.
Recently some friends got a Large Poodle from a pound and had been going through pain with helping the dog adjust. Gave them this book, and it plus a trainer have did the trick. This book is the thing for these situations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Handing it out when placing rescued westies, July 15 2000
By A Customer
I agree with a lot of the comments already stated. I also am buying it in bulk to hand out with every rescue dog I place. I found it agrees with my methods of training and is so easy to read that the adoptive families might actually bother to do so -- hopefully someone in the car will read it on the way home with their new dog. It does lack specific help with serious problems that many rescue dogs may have. But hopefully, those problems have been addressed and worked through by the rescue group prior to placement. And the person who did that training will further advise the new owners on the care and special needs of that particular dog. This is a great general book. And priced so that everyone can own a copy!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book for preteens and adult dog owners, June 28 2000
M. Baltes (Madison, WI) - See all my reviews
A straight-forward and quick read about training your dog with great pictures that will help a preteen (8-12) and older children and adults understand what needs to be done. I agree that it lacks the information about rescue or rehomed dogs.A better source for a rehomed/rescue dog is Second Start: Creative Rehoming by Jacqeline O'Neil.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great - honest book!, April 21 2000
By A Customer
This is a terrific training book. The author understands the audience and delivers effective techniques (with good illustrations).

3.0 out of 5 stars Falls short talking about adopted/rescued dogs, April 13 2000
E. Carley "Coastermom" (The birthplace of flight) - See all my reviews
I am disappointed because I'm considering getting a rescued dog and I'd like to know what to expect and how to deal with the specific problems that are unique to second hand dogs.
Some things I wanted to know: What are typical health problems that come with a rescued dog? How do I deal with a dog that is fearful/anxious/depressed? How do I correct my dog without triggering a surprise negative response? How do I get my dog to accept affection? How do we make the dog feel comfortable and safe in his new home?
This book will certainly come in handy for training, but I need some answers about what it takes to rehome and relove a rescued dog first. I'll need to go elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for anyone with a second-hand dog, Dec 17 1999
By A Customer
I do rescue work, and like this book so much I buy it in bulk and give a copy with each dog I place. It's straightforward, no-nonsense and highly readable. If you're adopting an adult dog, this is the one book you must have. It'll save you and your dog a lot of grief!

ARRAY(0xb46777c8)

Second-Hand Dog: How to Turn Yours into a First-Rate Pet
Second-Hand Dog: How to Turn Yours into a First-Rate Pet by Carol Lea Benjamin (Paperback - May 1 1988)
CDN$ 10.95 CDN$ 9.86