5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic reading!
Glad I bought this book to read on cat problems and it helped me when my own cat was sick for 2 weeks. Thanks for having this old standby available! Even better that I could download the book to read immediately on my home computer without having to wait for snail mail...
Published 9 months ago by Kate

2.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately, an old edition
Published on Feb. 22 2002 by Nellie B

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, Nov. 3 2013
Practical, informative, straight forward. This book basically tells you all you need to know about any medical/behavioural issues you may have with your feline friends. This is a no-bones about it book. Very honest and revealing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic reading!, Oct. 16 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Super helpful, April 6 2013
Great reference book for cat people with a scientific mind. Love to have something where I can look up symptoms if my cat ever gets sick. Good learning tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars An invaluable reference for the cat owner, Dec 28 2003
Lynne Cameron (North East, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook (Hardcover)
I work with a cat rescue and have been able to save countless cats and kittens with the help of this book. Detailed descriptions, pictures and instructions make this a must have for the cat owner. Everything is written in plain english making it easy to understand. I have recommended this book to everyone in my organization as well as every new "parent" we have placed a cat or kitten with. If you have a cat you need to have this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars best cat book I ever read, July 6 2004
M. L. Brown "ENTICED" (redfield iowa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook (Hardcover)
This is the most complete book I have ever seen for cats. It has helped me out when my cat had 5 kittens. It talks about all the diseases, the colds, and symptoms of all kinds of things. It has photos of animals with the problem so you can see if that is the problem with your cat or kitten. WONDERFUL.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most comprehensive book on cat care..., March 7 2003
Anonymous (Mesa, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook (Hardcover)
that even a laymen can understand!
I purchased this book a while ago simply because I had multiple cats in the house that were becoming geriatric and I wanted to make sure I was doing the best for them in their twilight. I am also working on my Pre-Vet Curricula for intrance into Vet School.
Then I became a surrogate mommy for a new born kitten that had been abandoned my its feral mother only hours after it was born. Not wanting this wee one to expire, I took her home to raise myself, and immediately got on the Internet looking for info on the proper measures to care for her (I forgot about this book). I found a few helpful sites, but each one was contradicting the other...which for anyone is confusing. Thinking I needed a professional opinion on the subject, & went to my library of reference books & schoolbooks. Luckfully, I ran across this one & decided to see if it mentioned anything at all. To my surprise, it had the most complete section on orphaned kitten care than any of the other books & the Internet sites. I greatly recommend this book for any cat owner, be their cats young or old, it has information aplenty to assist you in caring for your 4-footed loved one.

4.0 out of 5 stars good allopathic reference book, May 6 2002
lonebeaut (land of enchantment) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook (Hardcover)
This is one of those books every cat guardian should keep, for informational purposes, alongside their books on complementary veterinary medicine. It's an allopathic encyclopedia of what can go wrong with cats written in a layman's language, and furnished with photos and other graphics as well as other interesting tidbits about cat physiology and anatomy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good basic book for cat owners, April 1 2002
This review is from: Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook (Hardcover)
We do cat rescue and have recommended or given this book to many people. It's a good basic book, helps explain when to go to vet, not too hard to read.
I disagree that the "gross pictures" shouldn't be in there -- You don't have to look at them, and they're there to teach what some things may look like. We've found some of the pictures quite useful.
The argument that "if my cat looked that bad we'd be at the vet" is kind of off the point -- this book is good because it is a great COMPANION to your vet --
Anyhow, very good book. I too wish there was a more recent edition, but much of the most changed stuff since 1995, is at a higher technical level than this book.
For the next level up, Feline Husbandry, and Feline Diseases by Niels Pedersen are great...

2.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately, an old edition, Feb. 22 2002
Nellie B (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook (Hardcover)
The low rating I have given this book is solely because it was written in 1995. If it were an updated edition from 2001, I'd give it rating of 5 stars. Veterinary medicine has enormously developed in the past few years and some of the information in the book is no longer accurate. I am only very familiar with the conditions of hyperthyroidism and hypertropic myocardiopathy. The little information offered in the book regarding hyperthyroidism is no longer accurate. In 1995 the cause of the condition was unknown as well as the effects the condition has on the heart. In addition, the new and successful treatments that are being given to cats are not stated in the book. The information on myocardiopathy, to be fair, seems to be accurate. If the author updates this book, this would be a magnificent reference source to own. I would suggest to change the black and white pictures for color pictures. Other reviewers hate the pictures, but they should realize that this is the best way to visually compare their cat's physical condition against a picture to figure out what is wrong with the cat before it goes to the vet. Medical school textbooks are full of color pictures. My point is that the pictures add to the excellence of books. To finish, it is unfortunate that I ended up with a 1995 edition (which is my fault for not checking it out before ordering the book). Having discovered the inaccurate information makes me wonder what other medical information is outdated in the book. As a result, I can no longer consider it a reliable reference source.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook, June 3 2001
This review is from: Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook (Hardcover)
This is a detailed medical guide to ailments/conditions of cats, treatment options including home care, surgery, medicines, etc. and pictures. I want to be knowlegable as to what my vet is doing and this book definitely does that. Some of the information is for breeders but I found that interesting to read. I think it is well written and easy to understand for ordinary people.
A really good book for general knowledge - less technical - is Cats for Dummies. Lots of great info.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook
Cat Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook by James M. Giffin (Hardcover - Dec 1 1995)
Used & New from: CDN$ 2.96