5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent stories for an Early Reader
Published on Aug. 29 2003 by Andrew Layman

3.0 out of 5 stars DON'T be confused!
Published on April 13 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars DON'T be confused!, April 13 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Aesop's Fables (Paperback)
The paperback edition of "Aesop's Fables" should NOT be confused with the Hardcover edition of the same name, that other reviews on this page refer to. While I think the illustrations are quite lovely and the fables familiar, I (probably through no one's fault but my own), did not get what I expected. There are only 13 fables, some of which are little more than a few lines long, and there is no additional commentary or context. The price is reasonable for what it is, but this is not a soft cover edition of the hard cover of the same name!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent stories for an Early Reader, Aug. 29 2003
Andrew Layman (Bellevue, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aesop's Fables: A Classic Illustrated Edition (Hardcover)
Short, literate stories, each with a moral, allowing a child to get the idea of drawing a generalization from a story. The brevity makes them understandable as wholes and a manageable size for older children to read (my four-year-old child finds them interesting enough to motivate her reading and short enough to permit success). My favorite editions of these tales place one fable and illustration per page. More at strongbrains.com.

4.0 out of 5 stars Aesop's fables are still a good read., Aug. 14 2013
This review is from: Aesop's Fables (Kindle Edition)
The brief, pithy stories are make a good read. The book is easy to pick up and read when you only have a little time. The digital format is slightly less appealing than a paper book.
Reading the book with my son, or with other children it has been fun to guess what the morals are for some of the stories and to use the stories as springboards to make up our own fables. Explaining the characteristics of different animals takes a bit of time for some children who aren't exposed to the animals, or the culture the fables spring from. For deeper thinkers the fables are a good check to see how their values differ from Aesop's and how the fables themselves are sometimes contradictory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring Aesop Home, Sept. 21 2010
Reflection Haiku "Lily Wang, Author" (California, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Aesop's Fables: A Classic Illustrated Edition (Hardcover)
This dazzling Classic Edition of AESOP'S FABLE has my initial concern that the advanced choice of compound words may be too difficult for my young children - but it quickly evaporated as they, intrigued by Aesop's unique fable power, struggled to pronounce them, asked about their meanings and moved on to figure out what had happened and what did the moral say. Through the process, the reservoir of their vocabularies is expanding and these memorable lessons imprint in their minds. The Frog and the Ox. The Wind and the Sun. The Fox and the Grapes. 53 Aesop's best fables were accompanied with magnificently artworks done by distinguished illustrators such as Charles Bennett, Milo Winter and Percy Billinghurst. Bring Aesop home and the kids will be naturally attracted to read about those silly (or wise) animals that act just like real human beings.

3.0 out of 5 stars DON'T be confused!, April 13 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Aesop's Fables (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite for children..., Aug. 18 2002
This review is from: Aesop's Fables: A Classic Illustrated Edition (Hardcover)
The short stories attributed to Aesop have been around for over 2,500 years. Many times no longer than a paragraph is enough for the reader to see the moralistic truth of the world around us summed up in a brief encounter between animals. The illustrations are well done and will be appreciated by adults, but for the most part were not created for children. The vocabulary and grammar can also be difficult for young children on their own, but will be understood if it is read to them with the proper pauses and inflections. Every fable has its moral underneath it. Many of them children will recognize from other storybooks. Every teacher should have a collection of Aesop's fables. Although this edition is not the best for young children it would still make an excellent addition to the classroom library.
Why 4 stars?:
While I do feel this is a good book to read to children and to show the illustrations to. It will be too difficult for them to read on their own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Aeosps Fables are more than good, theyre grrrrrrrrreat!, Oct. 30 2001
This review is from: Aesop's Fables (Hardcover)
On my birthday in second grade, my parents gave me a package containing these stories, written by the ancient Aesop. I read through it, at first not enjoying it much, thinking ,"What fun could it be to read something wrtitten by some old guy?" after reading through one fable, I was changed. My heart lightened, and I finished the book inside my favorite blanket within a day,and my parents were surprised that I had already finished. And even if it was heavy reading for a second grader, I loved it and have read it several times over again. I suggest that everyone should read this book because of the helpful morals that allow you to understand everyday life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suitable for the agora., Sept. 5 2001
This review is from: Aesop's Fables (Hardcover)
The uncredited principal translations are the best I've seen, right to the point and suitable for the agora. Jacob Lawrence's great drawings suit them to a tee.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great way to learn some good morals and common sense, Jan. 22 2001
L. Kolosky "prieofmorr" (chisholm, Minnesota United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aesop's Fables (Hardcover)
Like one of the reviewers has already stated this book has alot to do with teaching common sense but it also teaches good morals to the people that read these wonderful stories. These stories are great to have kids read,because it will get them thinking about whats right and whats wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Illustrations and Classic Morals, June 29 2000
Mandi Frederick (Silver Spring, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aesop's Fables (Hardcover)
Let me begin by saying that this book provides you with excellent fully colorized illustrations for each and every fable. The color jumps from the page and is quite striking. The stories are concise, easy for children to understand, and remain a favorite of mine even as an adult.

ARRAY(0xabb36420)

Aesop's Fables: A Classic Illustrated Edition
Aesop's Fables: A Classic Illustrated Edition by Aesop (Hardcover - Oct. 15 1990)
CDN$ 23.99 CDN$ 17.51