5.0 out of 5 stars A page turner...
Published 22 months ago by The Vibe Guy

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull, heavy read
I didnt like this book. Its avery philosophical look at the business full of generalisations, and maybes. Not much how to or what to do. Get The Comedy Bible instead. Youll learn a load more of useful stuff.
Published on Oct. 19 2004 by jumpingjehosifats

5.0 out of 5 stars A page turner..., June 7 2012
This review is from: Zen and the Art of Stand-Up Comedy (Paperback)
I literally couldn't put the book down. This is a great book, well written and very insightful into the world of standup comedy. I think that this is a reference book that should be on the shelf of every beginning standup comic...I can't speak for the seasoned pro's because I'm not at that level yet. If you're looking to help take some of the steepness off of the learning curve in standup comedy buy this book...if you're looking for a book on how to write jokes look else where. Thanks Jay!

5.0 out of 5 stars Short comment, Oct. 29 2010
This review is from: Zen and the Art of Stand-Up Comedy (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book from page one. It touches to almost every aspect of stand-up text creating. It is a serious book but the author does not take himself seriously so it is easy to read. I almost never spend time writing comments on books i buy but i had to do it for this one. I recommend this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dull, heavy read, Oct. 19 2004

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Displeased, Feb. 9 2004
This review is from: Zen and the Art of Stand-Up Comedy (Paperback)
I truly thought this was one of the worst books I've ever read on the subject of stand-up comedy. It was neither helpful nor insightful. All the "advice" within this book comes from common sense, not real comedy experience. Mr. Stankey is trying to make a buck of off young aspiring comedians with high hopes and gives them nothing in return for their dollar.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - like no other comedy writing book out there!, July 24 2003
Dan Seidman (Got Influence, Intergalactic HQ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zen and the Art of Stand-Up Comedy (Paperback)
I collect humorous stories - sales blunders, actually. So I wanted a book that would help me as a professional speaker to be as funny as possible. Speakers, like comedians, get paid more when their audience laughs more.
So I began buying all the comedy writing books and most are pretty good. Buy Jay's is first of all, hilariously funny (bonus!) and second, more insightful than anything else. He discusses the psychology of the performer and the audience. He has little, interesting, no - fascinating details I found nowhere else.
Funny cartoons, creativity galore, inspiration and encouragement for anyone dipping into comedy or getting a dunking in it.
Best book on the block on this topic!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for working comics, July 4 2001
"katiemo294" (Santa Rosa, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Zen and the Art of Stand-Up Comedy (Paperback)
As a working stand-up comic, I found this book extremely helpful, particularly in dealing with "hell gigs," the necessary bane of every comic's existence. Jay Sankey clearly knows of what he speaks, and my performance has improved considerably as a result. If you're a working comic, or want to be, this book will be worth its weight in gold to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book on Stand-up, Sept. 26 2000
This review is from: Zen and the Art of Stand-Up Comedy (Paperback)
I've read a lot of bad books on stand-up comedy, all of them except this one. This is the only good one I've read. After I read this, I did stand-up for the first time at a bar for 30 people. The next week I was in the Comedy Central/Miller Lite Lite 'n Up competition at Comedy Works in Denver for a packed house each time I performed. Out of 100 people, and over the course of 2 months of performing, I got third place. Since then I've moved to Chicago and got booked at Zanie's. A lot of that had to do with the book. It cuts through to the chase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging book, April 10 2000
I've read
How to Be a Working Comic : An Insider's Guide to a Career in Stand-Up Comedy; Dave Schwensen
Stand-Up Comedy : The Book; Judy Carter
Zen and the Art of Stand-Up Comedy; Jay Sankey
They are all good reads, but this one (Zen and the Art of Stand-Up Comedy by Jay Sankey) is my favorite. The prose is simple and straightforward and covers a lot of material from both analytical and philosophical view points.
I even like the size of the book in terms of width by height - it's a good size to carry around.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great information but a tedious read., May 19 1999
This review is from: Zen and the Art of Stand-Up Comedy (Paperback)
This book is too long and written purosely with no humor that could have made the ride more enjoyable. It turned into a highly detailed lecture. I kept reading it because it did contain wonderful insight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent primer on standup comedy, March 31 1999
This review is from: Zen and the Art of Stand-Up Comedy (Paperback)
Don't let the cliched title fool you -- this book has little to do with Zen and a lot to do with standup comedy. The two reviewers before me have more experience doing standup, and agree, but this book rings absolutely true from my experience on stage, and is giving me a lot to improve with.

ARRAY(0xb4002744)

Zen and the Art of Stand-Up Comedy
Zen and the Art of Stand-Up Comedy by Jay Sankey (Paperback - April 23 1998)
CDN$ 43.77 CDN$ 26.95