5.0 out of 5 stars Compassionate, gentle, and reassuring
Published on July 9 2003 by adriana

3.0 out of 5 stars okay medical info, not much emotional support
I reviewed Trying Again for my local infant loss support group after already having a subsequent pregnancy. This book is intended for women who have become pregnant after a loss without really understanding why their babies died the first time or what they can do about it. As such, it's much more medical than I expected, very clinical on a basic level, and without as...
Published on July 4 2003 by Jane Lebak

5.0 out of 5 stars Compassionate, gentle, and reassuring, July 9 2003
This review is from: Trying Again: A Guide to Pregnancy After Miscarriage, Stillbirth, and Infant Loss (Paperback)
This is the first review I've ever written for Amazon.com, although I often shop here. I felt compelled to write because I felt that a recent review totally missed the mark about this wonderful book. The authors have done an incredible job, in my opinion, of balancing information with emotional support. They include quotes and stories from dozens and dozens of parents who have been through the death of a baby and who have somehow found the courage to try again. (BTW -- I didn't take "trying again" to imply a previous failure at all. To me, it merely refered to trying to conceive after a loss. I didn't find the title offensive in the least.) And as for the reviewer's comment about the book being potentially offensive to a pro-life reader, that comment is totally off the mark. There are one or two stories of women who made the heartwrenching decision to terminate, but there is never any attempt to say that this is the right or wrong decision. I thought the authors were very balanced in their discussion of this difficult and emotionally loaded issue.
I would urge other readers to try not to be put off by this single (and I would say unfairly harsh) review of this book. Trying Again has been a huge blessing to me during a very difficult time in my life. It makes me sad that another reader fails to appreciate what a wonderful gift these authors have given the world in writing this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, But Just One Caveat, March 11 2003
By A Customer
Like the other reviewers, I agree that this book has a lot of very good information about losing a baby and trying again.
However, after my 2 miscarriages I have become extremely sensitive and emotional about the issue of abortion/terminations. When I read in this book about a woman who had chosen to abort because her baby had Down's Syndrome, I felt like I'd had the breath knocked out of me. It shook me up badly and made it difficult to focus on reading (I finally just set the book aside).
So, if you, like me, are very hurt by and sensitive to references to abortions, be aware that there are a few mentions of it in this book.
However, if you're *not* bothered by references to abortion, I can recommend this book without reservation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what's needed, Sept. 9 2002
"kim31118" (Vancouver, B.C.) - See all my reviews
When I lost my first baby to a miscarriage, I needed information! I searched high and low... and found this book. It really helped... and it did help through the next two miscarriages. I trusted where it came from, as the author, Ann Douglas had suffered losses as well. I connected with this book... and am lucky to have had it when I needed it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ready to try again, May 20 2002
Connie L. Mayberry (Jefferson, GA United States) - See all my reviews
I thought the information it this book was very well organized and laid out in an easy to find manner. I was surprised at all the things that can go wrong during a pregnancy, but found it reassuring that many of the women who offered testimonials went on to have healthy children. I plan to share the book with my sister who also recently had a baby who was stillborn. I hope that it will help give her hope as it has helped me. It has only been a few weeks since my own daughter was stillborn but knowing that others have survived this tragedy helps me know that I can survive, too.
I especially enjoyed the section about how people felt when their subsequent children were born. I plan to try again very soon, and I want my boys to know that they did have a baby sister, even if it was for just a little while, and that they may still have another little sister soon. Or a brother, that would be wonderful, too!

4.0 out of 5 stars So helpful, March 21 2014
After having two miscarriages back to back, this book was so helpful. Insightful personal stories and information that was relative to my experience especially addressing the fear of loss again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great relief - addressed all of MY questions plus more, March 3 2003
By A Customer
This book did not make me feel like I was overreacting because I "only" had a miscarriage, something that I wish my doctor and her staff hadn't done. Instead, it addressed all of my concerns, like what is the chance this will happen again. And the beautiful thing about the book is it provides ALL of the necessary tips for conceiving even while I'm am still busy healing. So, I feel like I have something positive to set my sites on when it is time. I started reading this book absolutely hopeless and have ended it feeling blessed that I had the little bit of time that I had being pregnant, without any of the guilty feelings. I realized I had done everything I could have to prevent this from happening. Honestly, I would recommend this book to anyone trying to conceive, not just people who have lost a child. I wish I had this information when I was going into this pregnancy. This book is 100% grounded in fact, which was very reassuring. Absolutely priceless to my husband and I.

4.0 out of 5 stars validating and reassuring, Nov. 17 2003
Nicole G. Franks "nickyboo" (Medicine Hat, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
After having experienced the death of my premature baby at 22 weeks, I searched for information and help with sorting out my feelings and understanding why this happened and what can I possibly do now...overall I found this book the most helpful and comforting in that way. I highly recommend it to others who experience these kinds of tragedies in their lives...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Reassuring Read, June 13 2003
Tracey Garcia (Colorado) - See all my reviews
Having just lost a baby to stillbirth, I ordered this book in hopes to trying to conceive again. It is a reassuring book for those of us who have lost a baby and anxiously want to try again, but are nervous and scared. The author addresses all the fears you encounter in a subsequent pregnancy and also offers a lot of tangible information. I'd certainly recommend this book to a mother who has experienced a loss and wants to try again. Now, wish me luck in conceiving!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, Oct. 23 2002
By A Customer
This book has in print every thought that I had after my miscarriage. I found it very comforting to know that it was not only OK to be having the thoughts and feelings I was having, but that others felt the same and I wasn't alone. It gives you valuable advice and things to think about before you decide that you are ready to start trying again.

5.0 out of 5 stars very helpful, Jan. 24 2002
By A Customer
My husband and I were told at our first prenatal visit (10wks) that we had lost our baby. One week out I was hungry for information on why this had happened to us. Having no friends that had been through this experience I looked to books. This book was great. I was able to see that all of my feeling were all right there in front of me and even some other feelings that I might experience down the road. This book was more helpful that others since it was well written for all stages of pregnancy loss, stillbirth, and infant death. Other books that I purchased did not make me feel that my loss was as important as those whose baby had died in their arms after nine months of pregnancy.

CDN$ 18.95 CDN$ 13.68