5.0 out of 5 stars Just Like the Title Says: Best Book for Finding Synonyms.
Published on Feb. 21 2004 by mirasreviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for synonyms, but......
you will still need a regular thesaurus. Why? This book does not list any antonyms, which I found to be a huge drawback. If you don't need the antonyms, this book is for you. It is probably the most extensive listing of synonyms you will find.
Published on May 20 2002 by Joan Anne

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Like the Title Says: Best Book for Finding Synonyms., Feb. 21 2004
mirasreviews (McLean, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Synonym Finder (Hardcover)
"The Synonym Finder" is a thesaurus in dictionary form. There are no word definitions or pronunciation guides. Words are listed alphabetically, as they would be in a dictionary, and an exhaustive list of synonyms is given for each definition of every word. Clarifications such as "informal", "slang", "archaic", etc. are provided where appropriate. There are 1.5 million words in "The Synonym Finder", including variations on the same root word. That's more than 4 times the number of words in "Roget's International Thesaurus". If you simply want to find synonyms, this is the book for you. It isn't as versatile as a thesaurus that is organized by subject, but it's more to the point and easier to use if you are simply looking for word alternatives. Roget's is a better research tool, but this is a better and far more efficient synonym finder, and I think that students will prefer it to Roget's. My one pet peeve about the book is that the hardback edition doesn't have a dust jacket. The publisher may have thought a dust jacket would just be a nuisance on a reference book, but I would have preferred one for protection. I only wish "The Synonym Finder" were also available as software, as I have limited space for books within arm's reach of my computer. I use "The Synonym Finder" more frequently than my dictionary, Roget's Thesaurus, and Random House Word Menu combined. I think any writer will find it indispensable, and it would make great gift for middle school, high school, and college students.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable for anyone who writes or speaks English!, Oct. 31 2000
This review is from: The Synonym Finder (Hardcover)
I inherited my copy from my dad, who was a playwright - and I find it invaluable for my own writing - prose as well as songs. The Synonym Finder is without peer: unequalled, matchless, unparalleled, unsurpassed, second to none, unrivaled, incomparable, superlative, inimitable, paramount, supreme, preeminent, consummate, first-class, A Number One, PERFECT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, Aug. 8 2013
This review is from: The Synonym Finder (Paperback)
This book is wonderful, easy to navigate, plenty of word choices, I use it twice a week for my writing and more if required.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Complete, which was why I bought it., March 1 2013
John H Watson (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Synonym Finder (Paperback)
The book is as advertised. It is an extremely complete thesaurus-like volume.
I like it, for when I am really stuck to find the right word.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have, April 13 2012
Linda Mehus-Barber (Crescent Beach, B.C.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Synonym Finder (Hardcover)
My first copy of The Synonym Finder was a paperback and is dog-eared and tattered. I was looking online to see if the book was still in print, as I wanted to recommend it to a homeschooling mom who had asked for some advice. I was thrilled to see it was available in hard copy, so I simply had to buy a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Synonym Finder, Jan. 13 2012
This review is from: The Synonym Finder (Paperback)
So glad to see that it is still extant. This is just about
the best word book available. I have been anxious to replace
my worn out copy and was pleased to find it.Invaluable!

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST, THE ONLY - no brag, just fact. Owned since 1986!, Jan. 1 2004
carolyn sheridan (stonington, ct) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Synonym Finder (Paperback)
The fifth ace for your junior high/high school/college/ student - will help them write better papers faster as they get smarter - because vocabulary is the develop-able skill that elevates the GREAT STUDENTS from the Near Great. And you can't buy IQ or creativity in a book. You learn a lot just browsing it - it's fun to look up the words in a pre-1961 dictionary (when they started dumbing down) - what IS the difference betweeh true/real/honest/factual... or smart/brilliant/intelligent... or funny/witty/comical/jocular/hilarious...
you won't need anything else except a pre-1961 dictionary to go along with this on your reference shelf! I find the paperback pages heftier and sturdier than the hardcover and more able to withstand the frequent use this will get. That's my only criticism - I wish Rodale would make a sturdier hardcover, never mind the bulk or cost - I'd pay a pretty penny for a sturdy hardcover, even leatherbound collectible.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Synonym Finder, Dec 26 2003
Don Landon (Eielson AFB, AK United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Synonym Finder (Hardcover)
If you are a heavy writer--buy the hardcover version. The paperback will soon be destroyed through constant use. The best thesaurus ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars 40th consecutive 5 star review - quit futzing and buy it!, July 29 2003
Brian R Williams (Charlotte, North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Synonym Finder (Hardcover)
It's not expensive and it's easy to replace, but still, it's on the short list of things I would think of grabbing if this building were on fire.
Without this book at my side these last 15 years, I may not have been able to articulate my way into a good school, a rewarding career, or - dare I say - a wonderful marriage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Vocabulary Triumph!, Dec 26 2009
Leon (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Synonym Finder (Hardcover)
I've regretted a few online book purchases in the past. This is not one of them. Skimming through this book is not only a great way to super charge your growing vocabulary for intelligent conversation and writing but it more importantly and practically serves as an indispensable tool for grasping that perfect word for poetry, prose and all in between. 5 stars.

ARRAY(0xad94d744)

The Synonym Finder
The Synonym Finder by J. I. Rodale (Hardcover - Aug. 15 1958)
CDN$ 35.50 CDN$ 22.26