5.0 out of 5 stars Just Like the Title Says: Best Book for Finding Synonyms.
Published on Feb. 21 2004 by mirasreviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Great for synonyms, but......
you will still need a regular thesaurus. Why? This book does not list any antonyms, which I found to be a huge drawback. If you don't need the antonyms, this book is for you. It is probably the most extensive listing of synonyms you will find.
Published on May 20 2002 by Joan Anne

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Like the Title Says: Best Book for Finding Synonyms., Feb. 21 2004
mirasreviews (McLean, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Synonym Finder (Hardcover)
"The Synonym Finder" is a thesaurus in dictionary form. There are no word definitions or pronunciation guides. Words are listed alphabetically, as they would be in a dictionary, and an exhaustive list of synonyms is given for each definition of every word. Clarifications such as "informal", "slang", "archaic", etc. are provided where appropriate. There are 1.5 million words in "The Synonym Finder", including variations on the same root word. That's more than 4 times the number of words in "Roget's International Thesaurus". If you simply want to find synonyms, this is the book for you. It isn't as versatile as a thesaurus that is organized by subject, but it's more to the point and easier to use if you are simply looking for word alternatives. Roget's is a better research tool, but this is a better and far more efficient synonym finder, and I think that students will prefer it to Roget's. My one pet peeve about the book is that the hardback edition doesn't have a dust jacket. The publisher may have thought a dust jacket would just be a nuisance on a reference book, but I would have preferred one for protection. I only wish "The Synonym Finder" were also available as software, as I have limited space for books within arm's reach of my computer. I use "The Synonym Finder" more frequently than my dictionary, Roget's Thesaurus, and Random House Word Menu combined. I think any writer will find it indispensable, and it would make great gift for middle school, high school, and college students.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST, THE ONLY - no brag, just fact. Owned since 1986!, Jan. 1 2004
carolyn sheridan (stonington, ct) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Synonym Finder (Paperback)
The fifth ace for your junior high/high school/college/ student - will help them write better papers faster as they get smarter - because vocabulary is the develop-able skill that elevates the GREAT STUDENTS from the Near Great. And you can't buy IQ or creativity in a book. You learn a lot just browsing it - it's fun to look up the words in a pre-1961 dictionary (when they started dumbing down) - what IS the difference betweeh true/real/honest/factual... or smart/brilliant/intelligent... or funny/witty/comical/jocular/hilarious...
you won't need anything else except a pre-1961 dictionary to go along with this on your reference shelf! I find the paperback pages heftier and sturdier than the hardcover and more able to withstand the frequent use this will get. That's my only criticism - I wish Rodale would make a sturdier hardcover, never mind the bulk or cost - I'd pay a pretty penny for a sturdy hardcover, even leatherbound collectible.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Synonym Finder, Dec 26 2003
Don Landon (Eielson AFB, AK United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Synonym Finder (Hardcover)
If you are a heavy writer--buy the hardcover version. The paperback will soon be destroyed through constant use. The best thesaurus ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars 40th consecutive 5 star review - quit futzing and buy it!, July 29 2003
Brian R Williams (Charlotte, North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Synonym Finder (Hardcover)
It's not expensive and it's easy to replace, but still, it's on the short list of things I would think of grabbing if this building were on fire.
Without this book at my side these last 15 years, I may not have been able to articulate my way into a good school, a rewarding career, or - dare I say - a wonderful marriage.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, Sept. 12 2000
D. S. Heersink "D. Stephen Heersink" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Synonym Finder (Hardcover)
I've had Rodale's Synonym Finder in my reference library for over ten years, and find that I use it at least ten times a month. There is simply no other book in the English language that is more comprehensive (the number of pages is an obvious give away) nor more helpful. As a lover of language, I frequently examine other such books, and always find that they come up short against this exhaustive resource. What makes this particular reference so valuable is that it recognizes each word usually has more than one meaning, and when it gives a synonym, it is by meaning, not simply by word. Moreover, the reference gives various examples when a word is used as an adjective or adverb, and either as a noun or a verb. It's this breadth and depth that makes this particular synonym finder so extraordinarily superior to the competition. My only lament is that it doesn't include antonymns, but then the book would probably be too large and too cumbersome. As it stands now, the words are clearly displayed, and the synonyms - in all their variety - are abundant.

5.0 out of 5 stars overkill, 1/2 - 2/3 size = better & need electronic version, July 16 1998
This review is from: The Synonym Finder (Hardcover)
This is a great work, but unfortunately Rodale has focused on personal health and forgotten about word health, so vital to our ability to communicate. I wish that someone could provide an electronic desktop or pocket edition of Rodale's synonym finder in conjunction with a dictionary. The desktop models available by Franklin are antiquated and too limited. Additionally, Microsoft's thesaurus used in its Word program is also too limited and their supplier Alki seems to have no interest in expanding the add-on program that increases the number of synonyms by approximately 140,000 but when comparing a simple word like large, even with the add-on by Alki, there are only 16 synonyms available in comparison to 156 synonyms available for the same word in The Synonym Finder. Additionally, The Synonym Finder was published in 1978 and revised in January 1979, almost twenty years ago. While I realize that firms gravitate towards the areas where they can make the most money, i! ! t is unfortunate that nothing has been done to update this fine work. Look also at the other publications, book or electronic, such as Webster, and see how limited their products are as well. If you have some ideas, I would lend a willing ear. At a time when President Clinton's misguided focus is on classroom size, he and others should be focusing on the real problems of education and increasing rather than decreasing the educational requirements. Don't send our children out into society and expect that society will provide the skills that educators have not taught. Will society correct the problem or will drugs, alcohol, sex, violence, divorce and broken homes, and the power that money can buy lead us to equate our values based on an addiction of material possessions and the death of our true freedom; when is enough, enough? Help renew our focus and save our children from the constraints of materialistic greed and support the expansion of their knowledge, useful skills, ! ! and chance for lifelong happiness and the respect of others! . Thanks for the opportunity to vent my frustration with the publisher, education, and those that administrate in such a meek manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable for anyone who writes or speaks English!, Oct. 31 2000
This review is from: The Synonym Finder (Hardcover)
I inherited my copy from my dad, who was a playwright - and I find it invaluable for my own writing - prose as well as songs. The Synonym Finder is without peer: unequalled, matchless, unparalleled, unsurpassed, second to none, unrivaled, incomparable, superlative, inimitable, paramount, supreme, preeminent, consummate, first-class, A Number One, PERFECT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Used it for years; like it., Aug. 26 2001
Arnold (BUENA PARK, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Synonym Finder (Hardcover)
When I bought the 1978 edition twenty years ago or so (am I really that old?), I just needed something to help me with my writing in college. To me it was just a thesaurus, and I needed a thesaurus. Over the years I have bought and used other thesauri and have discovered that none helps me find that elusive word as well as The Synonym Finder. I am not a writer, but I do value the quality of my writing. Frequently I find that I want to say something a certain way. I know there is a word that expresses the subtleties of what I want to say, but I cannot think of the word. I have found that the only book which can lead me to that word nearly every time is The Synonym Finder. No Thesaurus has ever been so consistently helpful to me. Recently I have found a stiff competitor (thesaurus.com) that works very well, but it is not a book. For anyone who wants a source that you can hold in your hand and find that word. This is your book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, friendliest thesaurus available in English., April 7 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Synonym Finder (Hardcover)
I have used _Rodale's Synonym Finder_ for a number of years in preparing lectures and sermons, as well as in writing. A few years ago, I introduced it to a colleague while he was writing a book. His response? "This book saved my life!" This past year, I introduced my [homeschooled] 13-year-old to it in order to give some help with writing a novel. The response? "This book is great, Dad! Thanks for telling me about it!" Needless to add, it is now a necessary part of our writing. I cannot recommend it too highly.
The alphabetical approach makes it extremely easy to use, and removes the step of consulting an index. The [numerous] synonyms are listed alphabetically in categories (e.g., casual/slang); it is difficult to see how Rodale could have made it easier to use--or more useful. I recommend _The Synonym Finder_ most highly it to all of my students, and to anyone who writes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every writer should own this book!, Oct. 18 2003
Lori Lee (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Synonym Finder (Paperback)
Writing descriptively with creativity and color is necessary because without voice, one needs to suggest tone and passion to communicate the author's perspective. The Synonym Finder is THE resource for engaging writing. Forget about other regular so-called thesauri; their only use is to start a fire on a crisp, cool night or for a barbecue! The Synonym Finder is bound well, made of quality paper, and will lay open flat for easy reference. A couple of times, I've been unable to find a specific word, but then I turn to a more specialized thesaurus or dictionary for slang, foreign expressions, sexuality, etc. This book sits at the top of my list of reference books! I have yet to find a better source for synonyms...and I am always on the lookout!

The Synonym Finder
The Synonym Finder by J. I. Rodale (Hardcover - Aug. 15 1958)
CDN$ 35.50 CDN$ 22.26