5.0 out of 5 stars rare and important research, Jan. 20 2004
This review is from: Nutrition and Physical Degeneration (Paperback)
This book distills the research of Weston A. Price, a dentist and independent nutrition researcher. In a decade of travel around the world, Price and his wife studied the health, dietary habits, and chemical composition of food of dozens of traditional peoples of various racial backgrounds. His research was done at a time when many such groups still lived free of the influence of Western civilization and what he called "foods of commerce," i.e. heavily refined and denatured foods.
One could question whether 60 plus year old research is relevant today, but I found his work powerful and persuasive for a very simple reason.
Health problems sent me on a quest to find the best dietary information, but I soon found myself mired in contradictory claims, opposing research and special interest groups, as well as outright deceit. First I would read about how one vitamin or mineral was good for this. Then I would read that the very same item was bad for that. You shouldn't combine X with Y, or needed to add tons of Z or W, except on Sundays when the moon was almost 3/4 full. I became very disillusioned with the incredible complexity of nutrition. As I read more and more deeply, I also became annoyed at all the disinformation and profiteering behind much of the so-called research.
I reached this bottom line: While we understand proteins, carbs, and fats reasonably well, and have a pretty good handle on most vitamins and about a dozen minerals, there is simply an immense amount we just don't know. We are researching minerals at about 5 per decade (around 50 to go - a hundred more years at our current rate). There are around 5000 enzymes in bee pollen alone, and few of them have been researched. There are an unknown number of phytochemicals and other things we have yet to discover that have been constituents of our food for perhaps millions of years. Science moves very slowly, and it could easily be several hundred or 1000 years before we get it all sorted out. And that doesn't take into consideration the power groups who insist on muddying the waters for profit's sake. Modern science is quite obviously incapable of giving us complete answers to our nutritional questions. It just plain doesn't have them to give, nor will it for a long, long time.
Then I found Price's work. Basically, he was the Tony Robbins of diet - he sought out the healthiest people on Earth and studied what they had done for hundreds and thousands of years to stay healthy. He looked at their Traditional diets as well as what happened when they adopted Western diets. The results are in this book, and it is well worth your taking the time to read. While others have followed his work, the changing nature of the world now make it impossible to duplicate his research today. His work stands as a pivotal piece in science and health as well as in history. This represents the cumulative knowledge of millions of people over thousands of years in a laboratory that includes the entire world. Definitely non-trivial.
There are also books by Ronald Schmid and Sally Fallon that introduce and give overviews of Price's work. I recommend them also. Today, when we must all become advocates for our own health, arming yourself with the best information is vital.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I have ever read., May 11 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Nutrition and Physical Degeneration (Paperback)
This is not just a book about nutrition, although even in that ambit it is the best of its kind ever published.
This is a book about mankind, human progress, the evil of capitalism, social harmony, the roots of crime, the foundation of happiness.
If what Weston Price had alarmingly brought to our attention in the 1930s about the foods we should not eat had been followed, the people in this world now would be healthy, happy and in harmony. Instead we have a society where 95% are overweight, 60% have vitamin/mineral deficiencies, almost every child need orthodontia, 80% do no daily exercise, etc,etc, etc.
Why has this happened? Capitalism. That creed based on providing us maximally seductive food based on sugar, additives, flour, trans fat, in huge quantities, aggressively marketed to ensure maximum profit to the corporation ( but in the process destroying our health). What a way for human society to run itself!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Important Health Book You Can Read, Aug. 18 2009
This review is from: Nutrition and Physical Degeneration (Paperback)
Want to understand why hundreds of thousands of people in the United States die each year from cancer and heart disease?

Dr. Price's book spells it out, Nutrition -> causes -> physical degeneration. With the coming of the modern man with his foods of commerce, comes disease and even death.

Here's an example from Dr. Price's work.

"Great harm is done, in my judgment, by the sale and use of substitutes for natural foods."

What harm is he referring to?

"that human beings can degenerate physically so rapidly by the use of a certain type of nutrition, particularly the dietary products used so generally by modern civilization."

The only difficulty with this book is that some of the information is cloaked in 1930's writing. Some people may loose focus and miss out on key points because they are interlaced in extensive paragraphs.

Dr. Price is the world's greatest dentist, and here he explains, with ample photographic evidence, why people get diseases, including tooth decay.

The new release from the Price Pottenger Nutrition Foundation also includes many more photo's. The photo's are the irrefutable proof of the link between our modern foods and moral, mental, and physical degeneration. We have a great interest as a society to change the way we live so that we can together live healthy and free. And Dr. Price provides an important keystone to show us the problem, and what we can do to change it.

The review is from Ramiel Nagel, author of Healing Our Children: Because Your New Baby Matters! Sacred Wisdom for Preconception, Pregnancy, Birth and Parenting (ages 0-6) which explains the implications of the research of Dr. Price as it related to our preconception, pregnancy and early childhood health. Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition (First Edition) is based upon the successful tooth decay curing program of Dr. Price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book i've ever read, Feb. 27 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Nutrition and Physical Degeneration (Paperback)
Hard to believe this was written in the 1930's. The pictures in this book tell everything. Notice how the primitives have perfect teeth, but they never brushed or cleaned them. It's also interesting how the people that ate grains had more cavities than those that didn't eat them. The healthiest folks were the ones that consumed seafood. What suprised me the most is when the author explains how cavities repair themselves when you start eating nutritious food. And there's an x-ray picture there so you can see. This was done on a child, so i don't know if it'll work for adults. I noticed that one of my cavities improved after i started eating healthier (a white layer covered half of it). The author also did a lot of experiments with animals, and there are some weird pictures that show the results. An incredible book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading, Jan. 26 2004
This review is from: Nutrition and Physical Degeneration (Paperback)
If you have ever questioned why the doctors insist on some of what they insist you eat, read this book. You will be surprised at what you read. It will be the best "second opinion" you've ever heard -- as well as give you some questions to ask your doctor the next time you see him. Of course, as always, check with your doctor but ask him the hard questions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Health changing book, Dec 2 2010
This review is from: Nutrition and Physical Degeneration (Paperback)
This is a great book - it has changed the health of my family. We are happy and healthy because of it. I also really enjoyed the travelling aspect of the book!
My blog is based on the information in this book, as well as from Weston Price Foundation.

Nutrition and Physical Degeneration
Nutrition and Physical Degeneration by Weston Andrew Price (Paperback - Nov. 1997)
Used & New from: CDN$ 73.77