5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! The Organic Bible We've Been Waiting For.
Published on Oct. 29 2001 by Howard B Schiffer

2.0 out of 5 stars Missing vital components
Published on Nov. 18 2003 by Nyansinde D. Mungurere

2.0 out of 5 stars Missing vital components, Nov. 18 2003
This review is from: The Organic Foods Sourcebook (Paperback)
As a new subscriber to the organic food movement but needing more information on it, I bought this book because I thought it would by my primary "source" on it. Wrong. I expected page after page of sound and detailed arguments where the author would SHOW the reader the benefits of organic food. Instead what I got was 4 page chapters where the author only tells the reader why it's better, and does so with minimal evidence. It goes into way too much detail on the legal and commercial history of the movement leaving out a thorough analysis and comparison of the real value of organic food, that it's not processed like conventional food is. Showing this process through illustrative righting and contrasting with organic food, perhaps doing a commidity chain analysis on several food items, needs to be the centerpiece of such a book and it is simply missing. For those more interested in the evolution of organic food and looking for contemporary resources on it, this is their book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally! The Organic Bible We've Been Waiting For., Oct. 29 2001
Howard B Schiffer (Santa Barbara, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Organic Foods Sourcebook (Paperback)
It seems so obvious - like this book should have already been written. Elaine Lipson has written the definitive sourcebook on Organics, putting Organic Foods into a larger context whereby it can arguably be stated that not only are we healing ourselves with Organics but the Earth as well. For anyone wanting to convince a friend on the importance of Organics, or just remember why Organic Food is the right choice for themselves and their families, this book is a powerful reminder on how truly revolutionary the Organic Food movement is. Ms.Lipson gives an excellent history of the Organic Foods industry showing where it grew from and how committed the people are who are spearheading this effort. From farmers to some of the best chefs in the world, I felt like I got introduced to a worderful community of people who are trying to make a difference.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Organic Guide Yet!, Aug. 16 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Organic Foods Sourcebook (Paperback)
One of the best books yet on the often confusing world of organics! Lipson has taken a complex, unweildy subject and created an elegantly written, easy-to-understand and enjoyable to read guide. Short enough to be manageable, it's still as comprehensive a guide as I've seen for consumers. I highly recommend this book to anyone who's raising kids, interested in his or her health, or concerned about the health of the planet. This book is as good as it gets in the world of organics.

The Organic Foods Sourcebook
The Organic Foods Sourcebook by Elaine Lipson (Paperback - May 21 2001)
CDN$ 20.95 CDN$ 16.76