5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story for a Great Knight
Published on Oct. 24 2003 by Tommy Jeffers

3.0 out of 5 stars Deliberate cliché fantasy. Not awful.
Published on Jan. 6 2004 by Trevor Kettlewell

3.0 out of 5 stars Deliberate cliché fantasy. Not awful., Jan. 6 2004
Trevor Kettlewell "trevsbookreviews" (Nowra, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
A 'DragonLance' publication. I've never read one before, sort of grouping it in with series like 'Babysitters' Club'. And, sure, it's entirely genre driven - we start with the clichés: dragons, knights, wizards - it's the opposite to someone having an idea and deciding to set it in a certain genre for some reason. Moreover, as a branch of TSR (the D & D company), it's chock full of a menagerie of mythical beasts (think Pokémon and trading cards), and unfolds like a D & D campaign - you could imagine people counting up their hit points against a dreadwolf or a minataur.
Characters are utterly two dimensional, but I suppose that's OK, because stereotype is deliberate (stone me if that young maidservant/princess/sorceress isn't gorgeous - and here's a sketch picture - I kid you not). The book is driven by action and novelty, and the desire to feed a certain market. And as such, I suppose it does pretty well; it's never trying to be a great book. There's nothing really awful to make you put the book down (though nothing to make you compulsively turn the pages either). Probably excellent for young teens.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story for a Great Knight, Oct. 24 2003
Tommy Jeffers (Pana, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGEND OF HUMA (Mass Market Paperback)
The Legend of Huma centers on the adventures of the renowned knight Huma. The time is long ages before the events of the original Dragonlance series. Huma is a simple knight that understands the Oath and the Measure better than some of his more prestigious peers. It is this knowledge of compassion that compels him to save a lone minotaur, Kaz, from a band of goblins. The friendship that the two form cause a major transformation of Kaz who eventually embraces the knightly ideals. The main story of this great novel involves the incursion of the Dark Queen, Takhisis, into the planes of the living. Huma must rise above his simple upbringing and make a huge difference in the lives of all who dwell on Krynn. He is aided by Kaz all along the way, and the relationship between the two becomes a life changing event for the minotaur, who once served the forces of evil. Although the outcome of the story is inevitable, the way Knaak takes us there is superbly done. The characters are people you care about, and the history is consistent with the original series. The story provides much background information that readers of the Dragonlance Chronicles have always wondered about. The novel is a fast paced ride to an exciting and moving ending.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not half as good as the rest..., Sept. 13 2003
This review is from: LEGEND OF HUMA (Mass Market Paperback)
I am really sorry I have to only give this book a 3...
I loved all the other DragonLance books, from Soulforge to Dragons of a vanished moon, but this book really never got me interested at all. I tried very hard to like this book but in the end I just could not enjoy it. Here's a few reasons why if you are interested at all.
-No offence to fans, but the writting is really quite poor.
-I learned more about Huma from the chronicles than this book.
-IT MAKES NO SENSE!! Dragons appear out of thin air, Huma kills them, then more dragons come, he kills them too, etc, etc.
-Too much fighting and not enough substance.
-And finally, the plot is very vague, and seems to be there only to try and give reasons for more dragon fights.
I have read books by Richard A.Knaak before, and this seems to be among his worst. ->If you love dragons and fight scenes, this book is for you though<-. If you are like me and prefer less fighting and more thinking, read the books by Margaret Weis and especially the legends trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, May 17 2002
Shawn (Colorado, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGEND OF HUMA (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read many books in the Dragon Lance saga and none have come close to acheiving what Knaack has done with this book. The setting and sense of forboding in this book really help the reader realize how dark and desperete things have become for the knights and Krynn itself. Whenever there is a battle, Knaak doesn't ever shy away describing it as it happens - something that most of the other authors in the Dragonlance saga often do. He does a good job describing the events leading to a battle but will not leave you hanging when it finally takes place. He also does a great job of letting you get to know Huma himself. You really get a feel for the turmoil he must go through when every thing seems to be going against him. I think it is noteworthy how well Knaak uses the perspective of other characters to describe how good Huma is in battle. I wish that their more authors in Dragonlance that had the ability and the willingness to write about the Knights of Solamnia. Not just about meaningless things they do individually but more about the wars they have fought in. If they do then it should be done with a better description of how the knights fight as a an army and cavalry. No one ever wants to write about the good dragons either. Tell readers more about the gold, brass and copper dragons. Especially the golds. The evil side of Krynn in its warfare is getting boring so write more about how the knights and good dragons fight.

4.0 out of 5 stars Legendary, April 13 2002
D. Roberts "Hadrian12" (Battle Creek, Michigan United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGEND OF HUMA (Mass Market Paperback)
DRAGONLANCE is a genre that, loosely based on the universe of Dungeons & Dragons, manages to siphon ideas from just about everyone. The universe itself is borderline sci-fi as the action takes place on a different planet, known as Krynn. DL borrows heavily from JRR Tolkein, Greek mythology, motifs from the Arthurian legend, Halloween archetypes and some other stuff.
Now, all of this is not to say DL is bad. Some of the best fantasy books out there are a part of the DL saga. As Leonard Bernstein once said, every musician steals from other musicians, at least some times. What differentiates the best composers is that they steal from the best. I think the same can be said for the fantasy genre of literature.
The present book is one of the better novels in the DL series. It takes place in the "early days" of Krynn - long before the brothers Majere come along. Huma, the hero of the story, is a brave and noble knight. Like all knights who become legends, he is sent on a quest. He even does knightly things such as jousting. The catch is, he does it while riding a dragon instead of a horse - a nice twist.
The book is certainly action-packed; there is no question on that. The presentation and development of the characters is also quite well done. The lone complaint I have is of the battle scenes. It's not that they're badly written, but rather that they're too brief. Knaak only dedicates a paragraph to battles that one expects to go on for pages & pages. This makes some parts of the story a bit anti-climactic.
A friend of mine told me that since Knaak was under contract to TSR to write the book, it had to be a certain length. Hence the shortened battle scenes. If this be the case, it's a real shame. Writing a novel should NEVER be like writing a sonnet. Placing artificial constraints on authors is beyond absurd.
That criticism aside, this book is well worth the read for fans of DL. Even if one isn't into DL, or has not yet read any DL, this is a good place to start. The story is self contained, so there is no need to read the other two books in the series (unless you want to), nor is there any pre-requisite reading in other DL series that have come before. So, even if you never read any other DL books, I would still recommend this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars One word.....Amazing, Feb. 16 2002
D. Pachal (WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGEND OF HUMA (Mass Market Paperback)
The Legend of Huma, by Richard Knaak is one of the best dragonlance books that has ever graced the pages of a Dragonlance novel. This book is filled with so much action and emotion that it is almost too much to handle. What i like about this book, is that Huma is not portrayed as a godlike character, he is just an average knight that wants to stop the hideous army of the Darkqueen as they demolish everything in their path.
Huma has a strong sense in faith and power as he builds his character throughout this story. Richard does a good job in portraying Huma's growth throughout the book. Not only does he have to face what seems like a never ending stream of enemies, he must also face his love for a mysterious woman, who is more than she seems. This book does an amazing job in painting in vivid detail the battles that the knights must go through, and the enemies they must face.
But anyone who has read the Dragonlance chronicles, or any other book that has to do with the knighthood, know that Huma's battles were more than just with the minions of Takhisis. He must also face the racism that the people are building towards the knights, he must help his friends, who are outcasts from the begining. Huma has a strong sense of loyalty towards Magius and Kaz in this book. He is strong of heart, and even though Magius has changed from the man he knew growing up, he is still willing to go along with his childhood friend, searching for anything that can end the war.
Kaz is also a character that is built well in this book. His interactions with Huma do a lot to build his character. Huma and him build a friendship that no one would have thought could be done between a Knight of the Crown, and a minotaur. But together, the face dangers worthy of godlike proportions.
All in all, Richard did a very good job in the story of Huma. The characters were built well, and the story was more than interesting enough to hold you the entire way through. It is emotional though, as all wars are, but this one takes the cake. Many people and dragons die in this book. But the most heartfelt story in this book, which Richard portrays very well, is what Huma and Gweneth must go through in order to save the world, forsaking their love for the good of the world.
If you are a fan of Dragonlance, this book is a must. Richard Knaak is one of the better Dragonlance writers out there, and this books puts another star to his name. Legend of Huma is action packed and emotional, a definate must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellence!, June 26 2001
This review is from: LEGEND OF HUMA (Mass Market Paperback)
I had read the original dragonlance sixpence during their first arrival nearly 1.5 decades ago. I also remember vividly seeing this book in the local bookstore upon publication; however, silly me, I skipped over it then. Needless to say, I had left the Dragonlance series behind for a long time until I played Baldur's Gate II this past year, and, amazingly, that rekindled my spirit. Armed with a freshened spirit, I purchased and (re)read the Annotated Chronicles. This time thru, however, Sturm's impact was perhaps bigger on me. I could wait not longer. As such, I bought this book.
It was an excellent read. Being his first novel, I was reminded (at the risk of blasphemy) 'To Kill a Mockingbird' was also a first novel.
Yes, there were discrepancies in total actuality between this story and the "myth" of Huma as relayed in the Chronicles. However, the author tried to dispel that in two ways (a) in the preface by Astinus and (b) in various junkets throughout the book by referencing how the-then-already-spreading legend wasn't entirely meshing with fact.
Neither detracts from the story--or from the Chronicles themselves. Rather, Huma is seemingly a poignant, uber-Sturm. Very much human, but driven to a higher calling.
Do I have qualms with the book? Sure. Are they worth relaying? No. Read the book. It's worth your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is only his first book?!, Dec 16 2000
This review is from: LEGEND OF HUMA (Mass Market Paperback)
How can Knaak write so good on his first novel? He smokes a story with a similar plot in one of the Tales books!
This is the book that got me hooked on Dragonlance. It's all about how the Solamnic Knight, Huma(Duh!). Not too much I can say about it without laying out a summary of the book.
Here are a few things I liked about it:
1)Includes politics, but only just barely. Mostly arguments about who gets to rule the Knighthood.
2)Includes dragons to help develop the story line. That's a must for me to rate it as a good book:).
3)Characters don't sit around for fifty pages at a time, talking like all the other characters are severly mentally retarded.
4)Magic takes a place alongside chivalry, honor, and fighting.
5)None of the main characters are stupid or racist.
6)Even though he wrote this book after right after he dropped trying to be a chemist, Knaak doesn't drag science into this book. Me, and probably every other pure fantasy fan who has read this book appreciates that.
If you only buy 7 or 8 Dragonlance books, make sure this book is one of them. I should know; I have just about every Dragonlance book ever written.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the greatest..., Aug. 2 2000
Edwin Ju (Cupertino, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGEND OF HUMA (Mass Market Paperback)
As with Nicos32@hotmail.com, I read this book years ago. It was the first DL book I had encountered from my brother's shelf and as I delved into, I was astonished. While I was a bit confused as to who the heck Paladine was (stupid me for not reading 'Chronicles' first), even the mystery of a new fantasy realm was swept away. Knaak did such a splendid job with this novel that I really don't know how he found the insight in order to (excuse the poor sentence). From the opening mysterious setting, the story is rife with action, tragedy, love, and sacrifice. I found myself reading the last chapter over and over and over again because it was such a superb closure.
I still remember when I finished it, I said to myself, "That was one of the best books I've ever read." Now that I've indulged myself in other series (particularly Weis and Hickman's 'Chronicles' and 'Twins'), that statement still holds truth. I can recite nearly every plot twist, character, and development in the novel...a feat that is unique to the DL world for me.
Buy it and be overwhelmed.

5.0 out of 5 stars It flows as if a dream., April 27 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: LEGEND OF HUMA (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved this story, I only wish that the love story between Gwenyth and Huma was elaborated a little more. Also I wish that the tale of the white stag was added to the story. Other than that this book is amazing and I highly recommend.
It reads best on it's own, It's not worth haggling over the details because in the very beginning of the book the historian says everything previous to this story is inaccurate anyways. I don't know why so many people skipped that or ignored that, so all their complaints about innacuracies are completely unfounded, they didn't even read the beginning of the book.
Since Richard A. Knaak is a Rhetoric Major with a B.S. degree, I find it odd that there are some poorly written sentences in certain parts of the book. For the most part I just overlooked them and just absorbed the amazing story and the plot twists.
This story made me cry in the end, and when a movie does that it usually wins an academy award. If there were sci-fi awards to be given, this book should be one of the nominees or even the winner.

LEGEND OF HUMA
LEGEND OF HUMA by Richard A. Knaak (Mass Market Paperback - March 12 1988)
CDN$ 6.99