5.0 out of 5 stars the best!
this is the best deck i've dealt with, of the ones i have. as someone before said, it's really easy to do it without the book, but there is a little one with the deck for guidance. it is a great deck for beginners and up, so no one will have a problem with it. its illustrations are fine and don't deflect attention like some others do.
Published on March 25 2004 by H. Saleh

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best available
Published on Feb. 21 2003 by beckydarby

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best available, Feb. 21 2003
"beckydarby" (West Portsmouth, OH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Set (Cards)
I have had several different versions of the Rider-Waite tarot deck. I have to say that I was somewhat disappointed with the "original" deck. The colors of the cards are dull, and the cards themselves are large and awkward to handle. The accompanying book is smaller than a man's wallet, with small print. The author tends to rattle on about "secret doctrines" and really offers very little information for beginners. I wouldn't recommend this set for anyone serious about learning the Tarot. The other resources available today are much more easy to learn. I'm purchasing the CD-Rom set "Tarot Magic", and maybe with both I can refresh my skills as a reader.

1.0 out of 5 stars So-so reproduction, bad trademarking, Feb. 4 2003
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Set (Cards)
Having used a French deck for the last twenty-six years, I thought I would try the Rider Waite deck. When I got them, imagine my surprise and disgust when "© US GAMES" is printed on the front of each card! Though in small print, it is quite legible and very much unwelcomed. Additionally, the reproduction herein is not accurate nor is it very well done. There is an English Rider version of this deck that is *so* much better.
Pass on this version and get the English version instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best!, March 25 2004
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Set (Cards)

5.0 out of 5 stars The modern classic, in it's original subtle beauty, March 25 2004
Katrina Black "aka Kat Black of Touchstone an... (Perth, Western Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Set (Cards)
I think that anyone who's interested in modern, intuitive tarot (as opposed to traditional, historical tarot buffs who follow the Marseilles path) MUST own a copy of the Rider-Waite-Smith deck, as it's the wellspring from which all the other modern decks have come.
This is my preferred version of the deck, too. The soft, subtle colouring appeals to me much more than some of the almost-flourescent newer versions. The colours in particular remind me that this was, graphically at least, a product of it's time - the Art Nouveau period.
It's taken a long time for Pamela Colman Smith to get the recognition she deserves. She might not have been the most skilled draftsperson there ever was, and this deck was made in a very brief period of time - but in my opinion, her power was in her subtlety. Slight nuances of expression, muted tones and patterns in the fabrics and fills. In this version of the RWS deck, I can almost feel the lightness of her touch as she painted these images.
I agree with others that if you're a beginner, Waite's original booklet isn't a great deal of use - get yourself a good, thorough book like Rachel Pollack's '78 Degrees of Wisdom' in addition.
I own a couple of RWS versions and I think that in this case it's true that "the Original is still the best". I'm so glad this 'Original' reproduction set is available again.

4.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Rider Waite Smith Tarot deck, Nov. 22 2003
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Set (Cards)
This is my favorite of the Rider Waite Smith decks. The lines and detail are very clear and crisp. That makes a difference. Look at the Knight of Swords. In other RWS decks, the corner of the horse's mouth is going down and it looks like the horse is looking backwards. The horse looks apprehensive. In this deck, the lines for the horse's mouth and eyes are cleaner. The horse looks like he is grinning and happy to be charging ahead.
I like the colors used, but they may not appeal to everybody. The colors are beige, light green, red and yellow. No blue. The green makes the reds pop. I also like the thick lines and the bold, flat shapes. The backs are a pretty light blue and white design with roses.
I know this deck might not appeal to everyone. This is why there are so many versions of the RWS deck out there. For me, the original is the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE ULTIMATE, March 20 2003
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Set (Cards)
How can I give this more than 5 ?????
Great - my first and best deck.
Don't throw away tradition without replacing it with something better. And don't base your deck on it and then say it's obsolete, archaic or things like that.
WHEN REVIEWING: review the item based on the item and all it's worth (Objectively) and not the other items outside it (Subjectively).
The Rider-Waite-Smith deck is the best for the beginner, intermediate, advanced, expert, master, adept and whatever or whichever term you use. It's your deck.
But that's my opinion.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good for those just starting with Tarot, Jan. 2 2003
This review is from: The Original Rider Waite Tarot Set (Cards)
This was the frist tarot I got and it's not very good. The book is very SMALL and hard to read. The cards them self are okay but not very colourful and I wasn't happy about the nude cards. If you are just starting to learn Tarot get a better set, the book is hard to follow and your eyes start to hurt from looking at such tiny print. I don't even use it anymore.

The Original Rider Waite Tarot Set
The Original Rider Waite Tarot Set by Arthur Edward Waite (Cards - Jan. 1 1993)
Used & New from: CDN$ 26.60