march boutiques-francophones vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

on February 4, 2003
Having used a French deck for the last twenty-six years, I thought I would try the Rider Waite deck. When I got them, imagine my surprise and disgust when "© US GAMES" is printed on the front of each card! Though in small print, it is quite legible and very much unwelcomed. Additionally, the reproduction herein is not accurate nor is it very well done. There is an English Rider version of this deck that is *so* much better.
Pass on this version and get the English version instead.
on March 25, 2004
I think that anyone who's interested in modern, intuitive tarot (as opposed to traditional, historical tarot buffs who follow the Marseilles path) MUST own a copy of the Rider-Waite-Smith deck, as it's the wellspring from which all the other modern decks have come.
This is my preferred version of the deck, too. The soft, subtle colouring appeals to me much more than some of the almost-flourescent newer versions. The colours in particular remind me that this was, graphically at least, a product of it's time - the Art Nouveau period.
It's taken a long time for Pamela Colman Smith to get the recognition she deserves. She might not have been the most skilled draftsperson there ever was, and this deck was made in a very brief period of time - but in my opinion, her power was in her subtlety. Slight nuances of expression, muted tones and patterns in the fabrics and fills. In this version of the RWS deck, I can almost feel the lightness of her touch as she painted these images.
I agree with others that if you're a beginner, Waite's original booklet isn't a great deal of use - get yourself a good, thorough book like Rachel Pollack's '78 Degrees of Wisdom' in addition.
I own a couple of RWS versions and I think that in this case it's true that "the Original is still the best". I'm so glad this 'Original' reproduction set is available again.
on November 22, 2003
This is my favorite of the Rider Waite Smith decks. The lines and detail are very clear and crisp. That makes a difference. Look at the Knight of Swords. In other RWS decks, the corner of the horse's mouth is going down and it looks like the horse is looking backwards. The horse looks apprehensive. In this deck, the lines for the horse's mouth and eyes are cleaner. The horse looks like he is grinning and happy to be charging ahead.
I like the colors used, but they may not appeal to everybody. The colors are beige, light green, red and yellow. No blue. The green makes the reds pop. I also like the thick lines and the bold, flat shapes. The backs are a pretty light blue and white design with roses.
I know this deck might not appeal to everyone. This is why there are so many versions of the RWS deck out there. For me, the original is the best.
on February 21, 2003
I have had several different versions of the Rider-Waite tarot deck. I have to say that I was somewhat disappointed with the "original" deck. The colors of the cards are dull, and the cards themselves are large and awkward to handle. The accompanying book is smaller than a man's wallet, with small print. The author tends to rattle on about "secret doctrines" and really offers very little information for beginners. I wouldn't recommend this set for anyone serious about learning the Tarot. The other resources available today are much more easy to learn. I'm purchasing the CD-Rom set "Tarot Magic", and maybe with both I can refresh my skills as a reader.
on March 17, 2015
Sadly, I ordered this deck to replace my old one which had a water warped card. This deck looks like a bad photocopy. Colours aren't there that were on my old card. I wound up ordering another deck. Perhaps this one would be good if you didn't have something better to compare it to. My recommendation is do not buy this deck.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 26, 2016
Many Tarot readers believe the Rider-Waite-Smith deck to be one of the best and purest Tarot decks. And, while that is debatable, I can say that this is far from the best or purest reproduction of this deck. The printing quality itself is acceptable, but the source that was used was clearly flawed. Colours can be patchy on some figures and blown out on others. All in all, it is rather disappointing.

On the plus side, the size of the cards is nice, and I quite like the Tudor Rose back. The LWB is adequate, but to be honest I generally don't read them.

There are better reproductions of the RWS deck available, but this particular one isn't terrible just disappointing.
on May 6, 2016
Though I do like this deck, I find the dark outline in the drawings to be far too thick (bold?), to the point of obscuring finer details in the images. I don't think this is the artist's intention, and may be a result of printing manufacturer or something.

I am glad to have a deck illustrated by this artist.
on January 2, 2003
This was the frist tarot I got and it's not very good. The book is very SMALL and hard to read. The cards them self are okay but not very colourful and I wasn't happy about the nude cards. If you are just starting to learn Tarot get a better set, the book is hard to follow and your eyes start to hurt from looking at such tiny print. I don't even use it anymore.
on March 12, 2014
Although I love Rider-Waite cards, the small book that came with this card pack was disappointing in my opinion. Unless you know the Tarot very well I found it is very hard to understand. The cards are great, but the book, a sad no. I would not recommend this Tarot pack to others, especially beginners.
on January 5, 2016
beautiful representation of the cards

book could be better and there could be more different ways of laying the cards but card interpretations are clear and easy to understand