5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Few Really Fine Works on Classic Typography
Along with the later book by James Felici, called "The Complete Manual of Typography" from Adobe Press, Bringhurst's book is a landmark work in English for any level of typgographic study.
Read it slowly and carefully for all the nuggets he leaves in a trail for us to follow. An amazing, brilliant effort no graphic design person should omit from his or her...
Published on June 1 2004 by Bernard Klem

3.0 out of 5 stars kind of dry
The book is pretty dry. But it is good if you wanted to know the rules of typography.
Published on June 30 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars The layman with an interest will enjoy this..., Jan. 31 2003
David C. Johnson (Spencer, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elements of Typographic Style (Paperback)
Actually, I think the audience for this book is the layman with interest in good typography. I think this book might be a little lacking for a graphics/type professional, but I it fills a void for the layman with an interest in the layout & typography of the printed word.
Bringhust deals with the classic elements of typography, so you will find no mention of poster typography, "modern" movements & the like... He gives great detail in laying out pages, dimensions of pages & font selection. His review of fonts (Prowling the Specimen Books) is worth the price of the book alone.
I really appreciated the "grammar for typographers" he covers (using dashes, etc.) I would love to see a full grammar book written from the book designer/typographers point of view.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the professional, Jan. 8 2003
David Robinson (Oakland, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elements of Typographic Style (Paperback)
Now that we all have laser printers and computers, we are offered 120 - 400 different fonts on even the most basic home computing set-ups. Many people are interested in knowing more about "orthography" (doing typography well). Bringhurst's book is thoroughly professional and quite readable. It's complete (it covers non-English characters in some depth) and encyclopedic, and in my judgment it is a standard of "best practice."
However, this book is written at a level that would be appropriate for a serious graphic designer who is considering designing a new font. It's a bit beyond what a layman would need--or find interesting.
Recommended, then, for professionals only.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and doggone funny!, Nov. 25 2002
This review is from: The Elements of Typographic Style (Paperback)
Just a quick note to say that Brinhurst brings tremendous wit and playfulness to the table with this informative and enlightening book. Who could have imagined that a book on typography could be such an entertaining, compelling and downright WITTY read (yes, given the typographical strictures of the online review system, I have brazenly set "witty" in all uppercase--its my prerogative).
I will never hit the spacebar twice after a sentence again.
I give it 5 diacriticals! Outstanding.
(I am a broadcast designer)

4.0 out of 5 stars For people who love type and already know how to use it., Nov. 9 2002
This review is from: The Elements of Typographic Style (Paperback)
This book seems to be recommended by every graphic designer in the world as THE book on typography. After buying it, I found it to be not exactly what was promised. As previous reviewers have noted, the layout is a bit eccentric--elegant but hard to use (maybe). Those in love with the possibilities of book design will no doubt like it, but those readers more concerned with readability may find the layout distracting. For me, the book's strongest feature was the listing and descriptions of Bingham's favorite fonts. I found that section very illuminating and inspirational. As for the remainder of the book, the so called "rules" of typography are considered but not exhaustively so by any means. Bingham is more interested in writing about his own perspectives. Beginners will probably be bored by this material. For them, better books on the rules of type exist. For the more advanced user and for those studying graphic design, this book is a must read. However, be aware this is not a "how to" kind of book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where Serious Designers Learn Typography, Oct. 31 2002
This review is from: The Elements of Typographic Style (Paperback)
Serious designers who are beginning their trade, or old hats who might need to be refreshed in typography can benefit from Robert Bringhurst's "The Elements of Typographic Style."
Bringhurst has brought us a thrifty tome of typography. Succinct, he isn't bound to entertain the reader, but educate him.
His glossary of typographic terms will bring you into the know about apertures, dot leaders, nuts and muttons.
Just as useful is his thorough appendix of sorts and characters. With an image of the characters, he explains in a few sentences what characters is when it is to be used properly. He distinguishes acutes from graves from primes from hois from apostrophes. Adjacent to this lexicon is a quick visual index of alphabetic character. This section alone was worth the price for me.
The real science of "The Elements of Typographic Style" is in Bringhurst's bulk of explanations of letter construction, page composition, defining and given shorts histories of classic fonts as seen in specimen books, a great chapter on analphabetic symbols.
I fully recommend this book. Artists, designers, illustrators all should have a copy of this. It reads easier than you might suspect, and would serve as a fine textbook. Writers should read it for no other reason than it is interesting, but to also have pity on our poor designers who must make our words look nice.
Anthony Trendl

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, Oct. 31 2002
This review is from: The Elements of Typographic Style (Paperback)
I love this book. As a book editor, I searched high and low for a book that explained the principles behind typographic selection, and that's exactly what this book is. I didn't want some light or airy introduction to type: I already had a fine aesthetic sense. I wanted to know how to talk about type, and this book gave me the vocabulary and concepts to do so intelligently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, Oct. 31 2002

4.0 out of 5 stars Thorough, but dense, Sept. 20 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Elements of Typographic Style (Paperback)
An insightful, thorough examination of the use of type. It's well suited to those seriously studying typography or seeking a deeper understanding of it to enhance their professional design work. But it may be a bit dense and esoteric for beginning students - it's certainly more than a light introduction. The author's evangelism on the profundity of type can be a bit overwhelming at times too - unless you're already a subscriber to the faith.
That said, there's no doubt that type is a cornerstone of good design. This book will certainly help you build that cornerstone well.

5.0 out of 5 stars why this book doesn't bug me:, June 11 2002
D. A. Holman - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Elements of Typographic Style (Paperback)
I can see that there are plenty of reviews telling why this book is essential to any typographer or typographic designer, so I won't bother repeating. however, I also noticed one particular person who gave rather misleading criticism, so I will offer a rebuttal of his points.
Lamberti-Mershon from Evanston, Illinois USA, pointed out that Bringhurst's book "bugged" him for the following reasons:
1) i hate books that are organized like, 3.2.1, 3.4.6, for points. It totally breaks up a narrative flow, and it looks ugly.
the section numbering system, in this case, makes the book an amazingly simple thing to navigate. this is one of the finest points of Mr. Bringhurst's structure.
2) the type is small, my wife saw that right away.
certainly this is a subjective matter, but I can think of no more readable book. if I remember correctly, the text (Minion) is set 10/12. are there any typographers out there who wish to question the functionality of those numbers?
3) he uses a wide border from text to page, so that I have to yank and pull and stretch the book wide open in order to see the text towards the binding. [...] My point is, the book is hard to read! Go figure.
like I said before, this is subjective, but this really is quite a readable book. the borders this reviewer speaks of are of the Renaissance sort, large outer borders for the placement of the thumbs. I don't remember a time when I felt the need to "strech" the book, the spine of my copy is in beautiful conidtion. carrying his thought one further, the overall proportions of text area to page are historically well established. to me, the structure of such a system is unquestionably comfortable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A definitive resource for typographic knowledge, June 5 2002
This review is from: The Elements of Typographic Style (Paperback)
I loved the book -- even though I disagree with many of his positions. For my positions, see "Introduction to Digital Publishing" (by me) which is a more practical book for day to day working. Bringhurst is very conservative -- retro is a huge understatement.
Robert's book is an amazing resource for typographic trivia. It is gorgeously typeset. His basic design decisions are a little anal, but solid. It is exclusively about typesetting for non-graphic books. It is a must read for all typesetters and desktop publishers.

The Elements of Typographic Style
The Elements of Typographic Style by ROBERT BRINGHURST (Paperback - Jan. 31 1997)
Used & New from: CDN$ 15.00