biss boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on September 5, 2005
Buy it up, no matter what the price. It is well worth having in your own possession, as I have many ticks and notes scribbled in its pages.
I had basic typo. training in my second year as a design major, but this was the book that made it all come together for me. The point of this book is -style- and not simply the history and terminology of type (though both are peppered throughout the book). What I have found especially useful were the sections regarding punctuation and the chapter entitled 'Shaping the Page'. It is not a dry read, as we are talking about a book written by a beloved poet as well as book designer.
To put it into perspective, if my appartment suddenly caught on fire, this is one of the first items I'd grab. This is coming from a 21yr old student and not a seasoned professional, but to push this fire buisness, this text has lit the 'spark' of typography within me.
on December 23, 2011
Elements is pretty much a one-stop shop for typography. In it, you can find just about every rule, tradition and concept that defines how the printed word is supposed to look. While its focus is fonts in print and how best to define their display, the author also touches on identifying fonts, picking them, combining them, designing them and even using them on the web. Bringhurst has even included a chapter on traditional layouts going back five-hundred years or so.

If I had a criticism of this book, which I honestly don't, it would be about the author's unwavering mindset regarding typographic design. Each time I refer to it, which is often, I feel that if I don't follow Bringhurst's words to the letter, he will show up at my door one day to slap me on the knuckles with his wooden yardstick. I can't call this a criticism, though, as the author truly does believe in what he writes...wow, does he believe.

I believe that this text should be within arms reach of every designer that works with text; those new to the game, as well as those that remember Letraset transfers. It truly is all-inclusive and well written.
on November 12, 2013
Typography isn't always the most engaging subject. But this book really made for an easy and information read. If you're a graphic designer and do not own this book; then you really shouldn't consider yourself a designer.
on April 21, 2014
This includes Great research about the fading art of typography -easy to read and fascinating- a must for any design student!
on October 5, 2013
Covers the basics of type theory, but it's incredibly dry since it's very text heavy. I still recommend it though.
on August 6, 2014
Absolutely essential for anyone looking to delve into the formatting of their own work.
on October 25, 2014
A must have Typography book. Great stuff.