4.0 out of 5 stars Detailed, but repetitive, July 20 2002
Glen Martin "the rev" (San Carlos, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dave Miller's Homebrewing Guide: Everything You Need to Know to Make Great-Tasting Beer (Paperback)
This book contains a lot of good info, which I've found to be both interesting and useful as I get back into brewing after a break of a few years. I have Papazian also, and of the two books, I pick this one up more often, and find what I'm looking for more easily.
Despite the comments of some other reviewers, one doesn't need to be an all-grain brewer to find this book useful. I'm creating my own recipes using extracts and specialty grains, and find this book to be very helpful.
However, Miller is pretty repetitive. It is only a slight exaggeration that there are 3 chapters on each topic: on each on theory, equipment and method. I find that there is a moderate degree of repetition of material across these chapters. A consolidation of each topic into 1 chapter could well result in a 1/3 reduction in pages for the book.
I'll echo another reviewer, who commented negatively on the recipes towards the back. They are really just lists of ingredients, without discussion on method (eg. mash temperatures) or variables.
Having made these mild complaints, I'll go on picking this book up every day or so as I think about what to do for my next brew.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good book for reference.., April 30 2002
Emil B. Campos (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I am buying this book for the second time... I lost my old one and HAVE to replace it in my book collection..
There is allot of great information in this book. This was one of my first books that I got whe I started homebrewing. If the information seems heavy. Have faith and go back to it periodically as you become more familiar with brewing it self. I still find myself reading sections over and finally "getting them" (especially the chemistry part).
But, the homebrewing practices are solid and many of the reference sheets I use all of the time. My only beef are the recipes in the back... They are accurate if you use the percentages/ratios of ingridients but, are not accurate if you use them for 5 or 10 gallon recipes.... Other than that no complaints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knowledgeably and expertly written, Feb. 8 2004
Knowledgeably and expertly written by the winner of a lifetime achievement award from the American Homebrewers Association, Dave Miller's Homebrewing Guide is an all-encompassing and up-to-date 358-page instructional and reference guide to brewing great-tasting beer in the privacy of one's home. Covering malts, water and water treatment, mash methods, hops, necessary equipment -- including kettles and wort coolers, methodical directions, practical and safety tips, and more, Dave Miller's Homebrewing Guide is a "must-have" for anyone seeking to brew their own beer at home whether as an simple pastime or as an approach to acquiring a professional microbrewery expertise.

ARRAY(0xbc28dfcc)