Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(4 star).Show all reviews
on July 20, 2002
This book contains a lot of good info, which I've found to be both interesting and useful as I get back into brewing after a break of a few years. I have Papazian also, and of the two books, I pick this one up more often, and find what I'm looking for more easily.
Despite the comments of some other reviewers, one doesn't need to be an all-grain brewer to find this book useful. I'm creating my own recipes using extracts and specialty grains, and find this book to be very helpful.
However, Miller is pretty repetitive. It is only a slight exaggeration that there are 3 chapters on each topic: on each on theory, equipment and method. I find that there is a moderate degree of repetition of material across these chapters. A consolidation of each topic into 1 chapter could well result in a 1/3 reduction in pages for the book.
I'll echo another reviewer, who commented negatively on the recipes towards the back. They are really just lists of ingredients, without discussion on method (eg. mash temperatures) or variables.
Having made these mild complaints, I'll go on picking this book up every day or so as I think about what to do for my next brew.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2002
I am buying this book for the second time... I lost my old one and HAVE to replace it in my book collection..
There is allot of great information in this book. This was one of my first books that I got whe I started homebrewing. If the information seems heavy. Have faith and go back to it periodically as you become more familiar with brewing it self. I still find myself reading sections over and finally "getting them" (especially the chemistry part).
But, the homebrewing practices are solid and many of the reference sheets I use all of the time. My only beef are the recipes in the back... They are accurate if you use the percentages/ratios of ingridients but, are not accurate if you use them for 5 or 10 gallon recipes.... Other than that no complaints.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse