4.0 out of 5 stars Have fun making it yourself -- and save money too
Published on Dec 27 2002 by Mehetabelle

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
This book is too general and simplistic. It covers very limited variety of essential oils and the author told you to completely avoid a list of essential oils altogether without giving any explanation. This list includes a lot of nice ones such as almond, cassia and sage. It's a bit of waste of money. If you are looking for something informative and updated, try something...
Published on Jan. 23 2010 by Listen

4.0 out of 5 stars Have fun making it yourself -- and save money too, Dec 27 2002
Mehetabelle "mehetabelle" (Silicon Valley United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Essential Oils Book: Creating Personal Blends for Mind & Body (Paperback)
I got this book as a Christmas present and today's the 27th but I've read most of it already. GREAT book -- it's like a cook book. Given my undergrad work in biochem, it's just the right positioning for me. Tells how the chemical work together(carriers, bases, high notes...) and has a good variety of recipes for toiletries to make yourself: bath soaks, facial oil, and best of all, YOUR OWN PERFUME! Seeing as I'm working on distilling all those rose petals, scented geranium leaves, lavender, ginger and jasmine from my garden, I can become an amateur perfumer --!... It's great fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential reference, April 21 2000
I own many books on this subject, but I find myself pulling this one off the shelf time and again. It offers a lot of basic information in an easy to use format. There are more complete lists of oils and their propertiesout there, but I like this book because it also includes recipes and advice, and inspires me to create my own blends. I recommend this to anyone looking for a basic reference or informational book on essential oils.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, Sept. 6 2003
merrymousies (Waterford, VA USA) - See all my reviews
I was looking for a straightforward book with recipes to get me started with aromatherapy and this one was a good place for me to start. It has an intro section on precautions of using essential oils (they're intense :) And then goes into descriptions and uses of all sorts of oils which will be useful to me once I get better at this. For now I enjoy the recipes that are in the last half of the book - especially the baths. There are also recipes for dryer scenting, floor cleaning solutions and other applications that I haven't tried yet but sound neat - especially the dryer scents!

5.0 out of 5 stars A delightful book with wonderful insight and ideas!, April 4 1997
By A Customer
By just looking at the cover of this book I could tell it was going to be fun, what with it's matte finish and recycled pages, and I wasn't disappointed! Ms. Dodt has executed an easy to comprehend book that is good for beginners and those that are past the beginner stage,but not ready to croos the line into advanced aromatherapy. The blue "idea" boxes scattered throughout the book contain great "at a glance" information and her oil descriptions are well done. All of her receipes contain oils that most folks should have in their aromatherapy kitchen, unlike other books I have read that have oils that are either extremelly expensive or hard to obtain. I especially appreciated her clear and concise definitions of measuring dilutions, since so many aromatherapy books skip right over this or don't explain this concept clearly. The packaging,labeling, and gift ideas she describes are wonderful, especially for those of us may creative with oil blends but lousy with packaging! What a treat to read

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST BOOK ON AROMATHERAPY !!, Sept. 26 1997
By A Customer
This was my first book on aromatherapy and after reading all the "recommended and required" books by various certification courses and classes I've taken, I always go back to Colleen's book. It is clear, concise and very easy to use for beginners. I always recommend this book to friends who want to learn more about aromatherapy and essentials oils.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book for beginners to aromatherapy I have seen., Sept. 9 1997
By A Customer
I have approximately 30 books on the subject, and whenever someone asks which book to begin with I always tell them about this one. It is easy to read, gives great recipes, good safety information (always important) and does not complicate the beginner's life with chemistry or spiritualism (valid subjects but not what the beginner is usually interested in). If you are a beginner to the subject and don't know where to start, then start here

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Aromatherapy Insight!, June 1 1997
By A Customer
Colleen's book is an excellent choice for anyone interested in aromatherapy. I have read many aromatherapy books in the past few years and Colleen's is the cream of the "lavender crop"!
She shares all of her secrets and the book is filled with tons of household tips. She is the reason my house smells like lavender everytime I do the laundry! Imagine what other treats I've discovered. Indulge in the wonderful world of aromas

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the Beginner Aromatherapist, March 21 2000
I purchased this book for the purpose of getting advice on creating my own blends using essential oils. The recipes included in this book are versatile and provide enough background info to enable the reader to achieve this goal. The author transmits friendly excitement about integrating essential oils into our daily routines. Her writings act as a guide to the beginner and encourage him/her to look for new uses of aromatherapy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent the Beginner Aromatherapist, March 21 2000
I purchased this book for the purpose of getting advice on creating my own blends using essential oils. The recipes included in this book are versatile and provide enough background info to enable the reader to achieve this goal. The author transmits friendly excitement about integrating essential oils into our daily routines. Her writings act as a guide to the beginner and encourage him/her to look for new uses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most interesting reading!, Feb. 14 2000
I had the pleasure of attending an aromatherapy class by Colleen Dodt and found it very interesting and inspiring. The book is even more inspiring! Many wonderful "recipes" for making your own personal cologne, scenting your home naturally and using aromatherapy for personal beauty routines. Wonderful to read, entertaining and so much fun to learn about and try out the ideas in the book! Go out and buy it!

The Essential Oils Book: Creating Personal Blends for Mind & Body
The Essential Oils Book: Creating Personal Blends for Mind & Body by Colleen K. Dodt (Paperback - Jan. 3 1996)
CDN$ 20.50 CDN$ 14.80