Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store Fall Tools

on May 13, 2002
Personally, I don't care for the way Janette Oke used the first-person style of writing, with a man as her main character. Her man just doesn't seem like a real man, mainly because he acts and thinks along the same lines as Janette's women do in her other books. Overall, it was a mistake for her to use a guy to tell the story- I think the books would have been vastly better if Janette had used a girl's perspective.
Aside from that complaint-
This story begins with the childhood of the "narrator", and goes through the boy's growing-up years on the farm. Everything is peaceful and happy. Little incidents occur here and there- his grandfather comes to live with them, he gets his first dog, etc. Finally, he becomes a man. One night he overhears the men downstairs discussing the fact that he needs to get married. He decides that yes, he should get married, so bang! he goes out and does it. Then the books tell about his married life (I liked his wife, by the way.) During his married life they go through the Depression and he winds up on a road crew far from home. All of a sudden, at the very end, everything is resolved and he gets to go home.
Generally this story is pretty good, but I've read many books by Janette Oke that are much better. Like I said, I think what messed up this series was trying to use the guy's perspective. It just isn't quite right.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on March 30, 2014
I Enjoyed reading about Josh as he grew from boy to man and all the joys n sorrows to follow his journey. Makes one reflect on what we have now vs what they had then.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again