5.0 out of 5 stars The best and longest running series I have ever read
Published on March 26 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Place to Start
In the first of the series, this book is a bit weak on character description and development. The plot keeps you turning the pages, though, and it is a valiant effort at a beginning.
Published on March 26 2004 by Jeannette Trayser

4.0 out of 5 stars Believable? Perhaps, Feb. 11 2006
This review is from: Heralds Of Valdemar Trilogy #1 Arrows Of The Queen (Mass Market Paperback)
Here you have someone who not only starts out with no abitlity but suddenly is able to do and overcome everything. I don;t know about that. What you need is a hero who makes mistakes, almost dies, suffers greivous wounds, but still manages to make it the climactic showdown at the end. The Unsuspecting Mage is like that, by Brian S. Pratt. He's new, but his character almost kills himself as well as those around him everytime he tries something new.
I did enjoy this, for what it is, but I think The Unsuspecting Mage is superior in this respect

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Place to Start, March 26 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars The best and longest running series I have ever read, March 26 2004
By A Customer
I checked out this book when I was in seventh grade and I have been hooked on the companions and their heralds ever since. The story of Talia and Rolan is written with intensity and a lot of plots that twist and turn and never truly reveal themselves until the third book in the series, Arrow's Fall. I have read all the books within the Valdemar series and everything that has to do with this richly created world.
Talia is a daughter of a holderkin clan, there are several wives married to one husband, she is turning thirteen in this book and is about to be married off. It is her deepest desire to see the heralds that she read about in the books that are forbidden to her. She runs away after learning that she is to be married as soon as possible, while hiding in a hole near the road she hears the bells of what can only be a companion, she rushes out to see the magnificient horse and recieves the surprise of a lifetime. Later when she tries to recall what exactly happened the memories elude her. She decides that she needs to return the "lost" companion to the capital city of Haven, where the Heralds are known to live under the close watch of the crown. The monarch must also be a herald, chosen by the companions, for the crown to pass to them thus ensuring a noble and honest leader.
Heralds have something called "gifts" which allows them to be more useful to the crown, such as telepathy, empathy, foresight, farsight, fetching, firestarting, mind speech, animal mind speech, and the unusual mage-gift. These abilities allow the heralds to "talk" with thier companions through telepathy, it's not as odd as it sounds. Talia posseses an extremely strong ability of empathy, a gift that is very rare and very useful to the crown. Talia and Rolans travels are a short part of the over-all story and the things that happen when they arrive at the palace are well written and very entertaining.
I have read this story so many times that the cover has had to be repaired with tape. Every so often I reread this wonderful novel and am moved by the tender regard for the characters that Lackey displays and the amazing development that is evident throughout the trilogy. Talia is an amazing character and through the fantasticly written inner diologue the reader is able to feel and experience everything she does. If you enjoy this book also read the Last Herald Mage series, the character of Vanyel is also beautifully written.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good first effort, March 12 2004
Stacey Lavallie (Sudbury, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This isn't a great book.
I was introduced to the Valdemar world by Darian in OwlSight. I decided then that I liked the writing and bought the gryphons trilogy, since it was chronologically first. Then I bought Honour's Valor. There I was hooked. I fell in love with Alberich (and felt extremely jealous of Myste). So after that I bought the three Arrows books and maaan..I was let down. They're not good books.
On the other hand, though, I can completely understand why. To my knowledge, these are her first books. If they're anything like the stories I write, she had so much bottled up inside that she wanted to get out and just didn't have the experience to put it down well.
I don't think there's any reason for people to get mean and say never buy her books. Indeed, if you like the world of Valdemar, these are a MUST READ BOOK. That said, if you're looking for a casual read, I'd pass up and pick something else.

5.0 out of 5 stars My First Fantasy Read, Jan. 30 2004
By A Customer
My best friend gave me this book when I was a teenager. I loved to read, but I still was not aware of all the different types of books that were out there. I read this book, and loved every minute of it. I could sympathize with the girl in emotional turmoil (a teenager is nothing but turmoil) and I loved how she was always willing to help people. I have re-read this book many times, and I heartily recommend it to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Choice for Tamora Pierce Fans, Jan. 16 2004
I had this book on my shelf for five years before I read it bacause the back cover wasn't very interesting. Now that I've read it I'm trying to get more in the series because it's SO good! As a horse-lover and fan of fantasy books written in the style of Tamora Pierce (an awesome contemporary author) I have been hard-pressed to find a book that satisfied my reading requirements.
Ms. Lackey has an excellent character sense that makes people and places believable. Anyone from pre-teen up will be able to read this book and will probably enjoy it. The main character is not "perfect" and actually spends much of the book trying to find her place in society after she is cast out of her patriarchal home where she was verbally and physically abused for not being a meek and submissive woman.
PS: The horses (Companions as they are called) are awesome! If you like horses you'll absolutely adore them!

3.0 out of 5 stars This book is really age dependent, Jan. 10 2004
By A Customer
In fact, every single one of her books are age dependent, with the possible exception of the Black Gryphon and the White Gryphon. The younger you are, the more you will like them. If you haven't read many fantasy or young adult books, and are 15 or younger, you'll probably love it. I know, because I did. But now upon revisiting this book as an adult, I find it pretty lacking in many areas, and downright cliche.
As far as writing style goes, this is probably her weakest book, which is understandable because it's also her first as far as I know. Character development is pretty non-existent, and she also constantly changes point of view to explain everything (which I always thought was a sign of poor writing really.) She also has some plot inconsistencies, but those only become really apparent when you start to read more books in her series.
Also, a lot of the elements that appeal to teens will seem cliche and overdone to adults, such as the poor downtrodden child lifted to heroism, the can-do-no-wrong beautiful white Companions, and general good vs, evil themes. However, these are the very elements that draw young readers to Lackey's books, and create such strong supporters of her works.
Lackey's books are not bad by any means, they are great for teen readers in fact, with some good themes in them. But if you are an adult who is thinking of trying them out, you probably missed the bus, and will find these books too juvenile for your tastes. Instead, I would suggest The Black Gryphon and The White Gryphon also by her, as they are more adult in theme and writing style.

5.0 out of 5 stars My all-time favorite book!, Dec 1 2003
A. Castner "Rhynn" (Thousand Oaks, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Which woman can't relate to an adolescent who is not understood by her family because she wants something different for herself than they have planned? What woman doesn't feel at some point in her life that she has to contribute to her world by doing something only she can do (in some cases, we call that motherhood, as well as rocket science and brain surgery)? Although some of the writing is a bit awkward, especially in the first few pages, it is a wonderful story of how a girl goes from being the black sheep of the family to being the nation's heroine.
As for Valdemar being perfect, I tend to think not. Why would you need Heralds if the place were perfect? No one would be greedy, lie, cheat, murder, plot, or swindle. The imperfections in the nation are evident in books 2 and 3. Just give yourself a chance to get there.
A devoted reader.

2.0 out of 5 stars Arrows of the Queen, Oct. 6 2003
By A Customer
The young misfit Talia finds a home, a milk-white steed, and magical powers.
This is uninspired YA fare, wish fulfillment at its lamest. Magical blue-eyed white horses; endless blather about self-esteem and "caring"; a dull plot with massive holes (why can't a Queen fire her own daughter's dry-nurse?). The only hint of something better comes in the stories the kids learning to be Heralds tell about the dark fates of their elders, but that's not enough to carry the book. It's sentimental tripe.
The idea of the Heralds is cool, except that we never see them do any Heralding in this book, and the Herald name is misleading because they don't do, well, heraldry, but it's an interesting concept that perhaps the author developed better in another text.
Anne McCaffrey's Dragonsong trilogy is a far better written coming of age fantasy.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is an EXCELLENT BOOK!!!, Sept. 23 2003
When I was in high school I read this book and ever sence fell in love wit it I was so happy to see it out in print again at my local book store and of course I had to buy the whole series. If you like fantasy then this is a book to let yourself fall into.

Heralds Of Valdemar Trilogy #1 Arrows Of The Queen
Heralds Of Valdemar Trilogy #1 Arrows Of The Queen by Mercedes Lackey (Mass Market Paperback - March 3 1987)
CDN$ 8.99 CDN$ 8.54