5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleasing ending
Published on March 1 2003 by Darkstar k'Chona

3.0 out of 5 stars Lackey took things as far as they could go...
Published on May 20 2004 by spoothbrush

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Lackey took things as far as they could go..., May 20 2004
spoothbrush (Binghamton NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mage Storms #3 Storm Breaking (Mass Market Paperback)
With this book (and this series, really), Lackey stretched the credibility of her world too far. She hasn't quite reached the depths that Anne McCaffery's late Pern novels have, but she's coming close. One of the strengths of her earlier Velgarth series was that the characters appeared in one trilogy, and then in future series appeared as minor characters, sticking strictly to the sidelines. Already at the end of the Mage Winds trilogy Elspeth, Darkwind, and Firesong were reaching the end of their usefulness as "save the world" characters -- the ensemble ending that broke the mage storms felt like an utterly contrived reunion show.
Fortunately, Lackey has since moved on to fleshing out backstories for some of the more peripheral characters and stories taking place elsewhere in the world. She's created a compelling and complex fantasy world that gives her plenty of room to write in: falling in love with individual characters and not letting them go weakens that world.

4.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better!, April 23 2003
This review is from: Mage Storms #3 Storm Breaking (Mass Market Paperback)
I love Storm Warning (5 stars) but feel let down by Storm Rising (3.5 stars) and Storm Breaking (3.5 stars). Main reason being I like my story to concentrate on just one or the maximum 3 characters, which is the case in Storm Warning. Lackey's shift to other characters in the Empire who have their own long long stories to tell in the last 2 books just put me off. Maybe she is trying to build a sense of anticipation and climax but I find myself frustrated and just wish to skip the pages detailing the Empire characters. I wish she has just continued to concentrate on Karal (a lovely character), An'desha and Firesong. However I must compliment her on the last part of Storm Breaking which features three of my favorite persons in the Last Herald Mage Series. This series could have been better but it is still an enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleasing ending, March 1 2003
This review is from: Mage Storms #3 Storm Breaking (Mass Market Paperback)
Okay, a lot of people are going to disagree with me on this, but I thought the ending for this book was excellent. It wasn't one of those cliche endings where everything turns out all right or everyone dies. I like to see variety in what I read, and as I read more and more, I find it less and less. (And for God's sake! I'm only 15!) I have been engulfed in Misty's Velgarth novels for quite some time, and after every time I read this, it seems as if this is the end of the "golden years" of Velgarth. I like that because it makes it seem as if everything is closed in, although there is another trilogy that follows this trilogy.
The other two books in the Storms trilogy may have seemed dull and a lot of talk unless you are an avid reader of Valdemar,(not for me personally) but this chronicle really tops it off well. Although, yes, there is the cliche of the climax towards the end of the book, that is the way that it had to be. What else would Misty talk about after the plot and storyline of three books passed over?
To give a synopsis of what is going on before the book: Karal and his "crew" are in Dhorisha Plains to find Urtho's "weapon against the mage storms." Duke Tremane is in Hardorn mucking around, and the entire country of Valdemar is afraid and confused. In this final volume, all questions will be answered, and the ending will definitely give readers something to think about.
I enjoyed this novel, and as learned person towards Velgarth, I absolutely recommend that anyone who reads the Storms at LEAST read the Mage Wars. I hope that all readers enjoy this page turner as much as I did and will for many years to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars Same old ending but still worthwhile, Jan. 24 2003
Leanna "moondance34" (South Deerfield, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mage Storms #3 Storm Breaking (Mass Market Paperback)
Karal, Sun Priest of Karse, along with the help of Firesong, An'desha, Altra, and Florian, has managed to temporarily block the Mage Storms from damaging the Alliance nations. The Storms continue to worsen and begin to break through the protections. Karal and his friends must search for a way to counteract the final devastating Storm, the echo of the great Cataclysm that transformed their world thousands of years ago...
Meanwhile, Elspeth and Darkwind have been sent as envoys to Tremane in Hardorn to negotiate the terms of the Alliance. As they help Tremane prepare Hardorn for the worst, a surprising and mysterious ally comes to their aid...
"Storm Breaking" is the final book in Mercedes Lackey's Mage Storms Trilogy. I enjoyed reading it, but it was definitely the weakest book in the trilogy.
The characters, as always, were wonderful. Karal was his usual thoughtful self, and it was very nice to see Firesong in a much more rational light. Tremane continues to grow into an increasingly likable man. I was delighted to see a reappearance of three characters from previous books, who I won't mention here for fear of spoilage.
I also liked the alternating perspectives. The narrative focusing on Melles and the Eastern Empire was surprisingly interesting, despite all of the politicking. The Elspeth/Darkwind narrative was a little slow at times but in the end *very* rewarding. The Karal narrative was by far the most compelling, but that is mostly because I liked the characters involved there the best. Lackey's rapid alternation of narrative towards the end of the book, especially in the last chapter, was extremely effective. The reader knew what was happening in each location, and was driven to keep reading when there were mini-cliffhangers.
My major complaint about this book is not the climax itself (although it is nearly identical to the endings of the first two books in the trilogy), but the way the conclusion is presented. The climax is everything it should be, but I feel that it comes too close to the end of the book. All the loose ends are neatly wrapped up, but there is a definite lack of denouement (ten pages' worth), especially considering that this is the final volume in a trilogy.
Bottom Line: A solid read with likable, well developed characters. Make sure you read "Warning" and "Rising" first!

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Read! Developed plot, Great Storyline, Nov. 27 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Mage Storms #3 Storm Breaking (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved this book. Many people said there were too many characters and plots that didn't tie in together. Were they reading the same book? Every single part of this story, the history of the first cataclism, to the tower, Grand Duke/King Tremane's ascension to the Hardornean throne which brings Iftel into the open and gives our heroes ideas of how to protect the land, even the Emperor of the East and his plot to destroy everything plays a part. I don't want to give it away but if you know the books...this one ties it all together!! We find out history and learn the why's of things. Without all the plotlines and character development we wouldn't understand how our heroes succeed at their near impossible task! Loved it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Hey, I liked it., Aug. 29 2001
Loyalfoleyfan (Saskatoon, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mage Storms #3 Storm Breaking (Mass Market Paperback)
I have been reading Misty's books for about 10 years now, starting with The Last Herald-Mage series. Since I finished that trilogy, I have purchased every Mercedes Lackey/Valdemar book I can get my hands on. I am eagerly awaiting Take A Thief, the story of Skif pre-Cymry (his Companion), as well as the Valdemar Companion. Anyways, I liked this series. I have read many reviews complaining about Lackey's evil-just-for-the-heck-of-it bad guys. Take a look at Tremane. At first, you want to hate him, because he's from the Eastern Empire. But as we get to know him, it turns out he's not such a bad guy. When he finally took some responsibility (I don't want to spoil the book), I found myself liking him.
As for new Valdemar books, I would like to see a book on the founding and King Valdemar himself. I would also like to see what happens with Selenay's twins, Kris and Lyra. Who becomes Chosen first, who becomes Heir, etc. (Are you reading this, Ms. Lackey?) Getting away from Valdemar itself, I wouldn't mind reading about some of Need's earlier bearers.
Anyways, I like Lackey's books. 'Nuff said.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mercedes Lackey broke all expectations again!, July 6 2001
Kali (Sewickley, Pennsylvania United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mage Storms #3 Storm Breaking (Mass Market Paperback)
In Storm Breaking the final book in the Mage Storms trilogy Karal and his friends must find a way to stop the final mage-storm which threatans to destroy all life. The situation is worstened by Emperor Chaslis's decision to choose a new heir to the throne. In Storm Breaking Mercedes Lackey has yet again created a wonderfull world of fantasy that keeps her readers breathlessly waiting for the next book.

2.0 out of 5 stars The flame of my passion is quenched., March 19 2001
Joshua Abell (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mage Storms #3 Storm Breaking (Mass Market Paperback)
The flame of my passion for Valdemaran books was quenched by this series. The series started off quite well, but as it progressed, there seemed to be less and less of what I regard as Ms. Lackey's style. I thought we were going to see a heterosexual male come out as a pretty cool guy - not entirely unheard of in Ms. Lackey's books, but not standard fare by any means.
I liked much of the story of the books except the way Gen. Tremane was portrayed. It seemed to me that alot of effort was put into Tremane in the first book and to a smaller degree the second book and then he was just abandoned. He grew in the first book, but by the third book, all of that growth was thrown away as if it had never happened. This also highlights the vast difference between the first book and the third book where in the first book all of the events were necessary and tied together well whereas in the third book everything was just kind of thrown into a salad bowl and not tied together very well.
just kinda disappointed I guess. Ms. Lackey wrote some of the first great fiction I ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The End of an Era, Sept. 28 2000
C. Straut (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mage Storms #3 Storm Breaking (Mass Market Paperback)
Well, Misty's done it again. With this book, she brings the Mage Storms series to an amazing end. It has an uncanny resemblance to a season finale of a great TV show. All the questions will be answered, all the secrets will be revealed, and all the subplots will tie into one astonishing conclusion. You will laugh, you will cry, and you will be amazed by shocking end. Without a doubt, Misty has pulled out all the stops on this one. If you've done your reading in correct order, and have been reading the books since Arrows of the Queen, you will truly appreciate the way that she has concluded the series with such flourish.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good hero for the Valdermar series, Sept. 2 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Mage Storms #3 Storm Breaking (Mass Market Paperback)
Karal, our young hero, is probably my second favourite character in the Valdermar world, and whilst Storm Breaking isn't the most epic or memorable in the Valdermar series, it does provide a nice showcase for Karal. Unfortunately as with many of the later Valdermar books (particularly the Winds trilogy), Lackey seems to want to bring in too many elements which detract from the main storyline. I don't see why we need to be in Hardorn or the Empire - Karal and An'desha are set up to be the main characters in the Storm series so why continually revisit older characters? Its a nicety for fans but it is truly ruining the flow of the story-telling at times. If you're a first time buyer - I would suggest that you do not buy this book - you definitely need to know the Valdermar world very well to keep up with the numerous recurring characters making an appearance. Try the Arrows series or the Last Herald Mage books. If you're a fan, then this is a must buy (although it helps if you have read the other two in the Storm series!!).

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Mage Storms #3 Storm Breaking
Mage Storms #3 Storm Breaking by Mercedes Lackey (Mass Market Paperback - Oct. 1 1997)
CDN$ 8.99