4.0 out of 5 stars Eye Opener!!!
Pros: Easy read, exposes pitfalls, many helpful ideas and many paradigm shifts, excellent!
Cons: Challenging concept for my business of one. No Index.
Published on May 2 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but too long
I haven't try any of these techniques because I'm totally broke, so I can't tell you that it's REALLY good. But I do give it three stars because it provided some interesting insight I have never thought about like the difference between commodity and product or how colors and shapes influence sales. But there was a suggestion about touching your costumers to increase...
Published on Nov. 9 2002 by dasn0wman

4.0 out of 5 stars Eye Opener!!!, May 2 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don't Work and What to Do About It (Paperback)
Cons: Challenging concept for my business of one. No Index.
This is an easy read that took me two days to get through. It's simple, repetitive and just the way I like it. But by no means simplistic. To me, it is well written, when the author gets their ideas across quickly and makes them seem easy. The book gets personal about the author as it tries to relate itself to the reader, yet shows a sense of writing maturity in it's simple delivery of so broad a topic. It also gets personal about you as you discover that your business is a reflection of you.
A mixture of experience and facts, blue prints and rules told in a conversational story with a semi-fictional character. This style of using a third party character to clarify and reinforce the ideas worked well with me. It helped balance and pace the lessons with a fine sense of timing and added perspective. The book is informational, motivational and even funny at times.
Gerber sets the stage by prefacing the four ideas that are the basis of the book's lessons. He identifies and compares three personalities being The Entrepreneur, The Manager and The Technician in us and shows us how and why most businesses fail. He identifies phases of the entrepreneurial business as infancy, adolescence and maturity and the pitfalls of each. He covers six rules on how to shift from working 'in' your business to working 'on' it. And goes over the three activities to help it evolve being, Innovation, Quantification and Orchestration, systems to blueprint your business. He covers the Business Development Process and to think of how to turn it into a franchise that is a saleable Turn-Key business. He then explains the seven steps to developing your business, which he covers in detail but some didn't inspire my confidence, as they are large subjects in themselves. Like, 'Your Marketing Strategy' or Your People Strategy'. But they do develop a framework from where to start and the questions to ask yourself. He constantly helps focus us by asking excellent thought and direction provoking questions.
The book packed with many useful ideas and principles if you decide to buy into them, however is also a way for him to sell his services. By occasionally positioning his company or website as a source of answers to some of the questions the book poses is a great form of self-promotion, however they may be disguised in a story. Some thoughts that came to mind while reading were, why not just find and utilize a mentor? Success leaves clues. I struggled with the though that all businesses are started with one thing in mind and that is to sell it for a profit. The book has many paradigm shifts like this one that challenge us to look at our companies in a different light. Only when I realized that I didn't have to sell my business (If I happened to build an IBM) did I understand the idea. I'm still struggling with finding a compelling vision of how to turn my particular service business of one into a salable entity. Maybe I need to visit his website and enlist in the services he offers. Maybe I just need to find a few successful role models within my business. I will read it again in a few weeks.
I would have liked to see an index in the back to help find needed references quickly. Maybe a future publishing might get one?
A healthy experienced perspective and a plan to help build a successful business life.

4.0 out of 5 stars The E-Myth Revisited, Dec 18 2006
Views from a larger company CEO Blog, April 10, 2006

I recently re-read E-Myth and E-Myth revisited by Michael Gerber ([...] His thesis is to work on the business, not in the business. He is a big believer of systematizing and documenting processes. Dumbing things down so anyone can do them.

Although the primary thrust of his books are targeted at small business (and since I started my business from 0, I am a bit of a small business person despite running the Billion dollar company), there are some gems for larger businesses as well.

It speaks to scalability. Creating a system that can grow and does not require any specific person in order to do this. Then polishing the system at every opportunity to make it better.

What I am finding in the current polishing is that the adaptability of the people is a key trait. People tend to be the barrier to new systems. The adaptable ones will thrive. Part of what I need to do is to also moderate some of the change in order not to break a good thing. Although we need to change - we also need stability. It is that balance that I seek.

4.0 out of 5 stars Views from a larger company CEO Blog, Feb. 4 2008

4.0 out of 5 stars An eye opener for sure..., June 21 2004
It's one of those books that gives you a wake up call, although some of the sections in the book does tend to wander off into the story of other peoples lives as examples, but overall the book does wake you up, I did gain alot of perspective from the book, funnly enough I did email the e-myth website to find out if they provided any e-learning services, but no reply till today for the past 2 weeks, makes you wonder??
A must buy book for anyone getting into the business especialy for some of us that have dealt with situations where you seem to be unable to cope with all the sudden increase of business and how to deal with them, do keep in mind that this book is very down to earth, and do keep in mind that you would require some sort of business background if you ever going to be starting a business, a recommendation as a subject of choice would be accountanting so maybe an accounting abc manual would be a good reference manual in the future in addition to this book. This book is not going to save you but will for sure open your mind.

4.0 out of 5 stars Danger In The Entrepreneurial Zone, June 2 2000
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This book deserves 7 stars for pointing out the fallacies of how most entrepreneurs operate. The book deserves 1 star for proposing a standard that most people cannot hope to meet and then pushing to sell you consulting services. Pay attention to the former, and go light on the latter.
Gerber is correct that most entrepreneurs are limited by a comfort zone of wanting to remain in control as either strong technicians or managers, which limits the potential of the business. As soon as they exceed what they can handle, the business either fails in a break-out attempt or shrinks back to a simpler state. The new businesses that succeed the most are the ones that have a business model that is easy to replicate with ordinary people.
Where Gerber goes wrong is in suggesting that many people can develop such business models. I regularly study the top 100 CEOs in the country for stock-price growth, and few of them think they can develop a new business model. Why should someone starting up a new company be likely to do better than that? They won't. In fact, I have a friend who attempted to start a new business following Gerber's principles and almost failed before he adjusted to normal operating approaches. He spent so much time developing his business model, that he never got around to operating it.
Gerber's three favorite examples are McDonald's, Disney, and Fed Ex. Notice that two of the three got most of their ideas from someone else for the business model (Ray Kroc from the McDonald brothers in San Bernardino, California and Fred Smith from an Indian air freight operation).
I think there is another fallacy here: You can get ordinary people to do simple things (deliver packages, cook and deliver cheap hamburgers, and smile at people on automated rides). But in many businesses the demands of the market are extraordinary such as in many technological product businesses and services. Microsoft has a business model, but it is not one that Gerber would recognize.
Finally, he condemns people who want to operate their business as a job by being technically expert. Where would we be if people never did that? What if Peter Drucker spent all of his time developing business systems to make pizzas and tacos rather than writing business books about management? What if great musicians developed business models for teaching children to play the violin and piano rather than performing? In other words, there is room and a need for extraordinarily able one-person companies run by technicians.
Skip the pitch for the consulting services at the end. You'll like the book better if you do.
But don't let my quibbles keep you as an entrepreneur from failing to appreciate the excellent case Gerber makes for having a business model as soon as possible, and working systematically to improve it. If you can do that, you may well develop a true irresistible growth enterprise.

4.0 out of 5 stars Learn to create success!, Jan. 9 2006
Caroline Williams (SparkTaC, Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
On the cover it says 'why most small businesses don't work and what to do about it'.
If you want to learn more about creating a successful business you cannot fail to learn from this book. Your attention is drawn to the distinction between working in your business and working on your business. As you work more on your business you will begin to experience the benefits of a 'turn-key' business.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reads like an infomercial, but is actually useful!, March 30 2003
Hisham Al Shurafa (Waterloo, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I just finished reading this book, and there are definitely very useful and applicable ideas one absorbs from it. I sometimes was very annoyed however by the "infomercial" style of writing of the author. It is very clear that Gerber wrote this book to promote his company's business.
The main idea of this book is that all businesses needs to decide on and document how everything is done, so ideally the business would run like a machine, a "money-making machine" as Gerber likes to call it. Gerber tries to cover all business processes in this book, from Marketing to employee motivation. I found that all chapters except Ch. 16 ("Your People Strategy") had excellent and practical ideas. Ch. 16 I thought poorly discussed practical ways of keeping your employees motivated, Gerber basically says make your business look like a game to them but does not give practical examples on how to do that. Nevertheless, the books is worth the read and you should always remember that it will only be useful to you if you act and implement the ideas discussed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, Jan. 7 2011
Iliana Lauriston "polaris" (canada) - See all my reviews
Great book, was so thorough and well written that I decided not to go into business at the end...because I realized, I did not have all the aptitudes and motivations to be a good business woman.

4.0 out of 5 stars Danger in the Entrepreneurial Zone, July 15 2006
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This book deserves 7 stars for pointing out the fallacies of how most entrepreneurs operate. The book deserves 1 star for proposing a standard that most people cannot hope to meet. Pay attention to the former, and go light on the latter.

Where Gerber goes wrong is in suggesting that many people can develop such business models. I regularly study the top 100 CEOs in the country for stock-price growth, and few of them think they can develop a new business model. Why should someone starting up a new company be likely to do better than that? They won't. In fact, I have a friend who attempted to start a new business following Gerber's principles and almost failed before he adjusted to normal operating approaches. He spent so much time developing his business model that he never got around to operating it.

Gerber's three favorite examples are McDonald's, Disney, and FedEx. Notice that two of the three got most of their business model ideas from someone else (Ray Kroc from the McDonald brothers in San Bernardino, California and Fred Smith from an Indian air freight operation).

I think there is another fallacy here: You can get ordinary people to do simple things (deliver packages, cook and deliver cheap hamburgers, and smile at people on automated rides). But in many businesses the demands of the market are extraordinary such as in many technological product businesses and services. Microsoft has a business model, for example, but it is not one that Gerber would recognize.

Finally, he condemns people who want to operate their business as a job by being technically expert. What if Peter Drucker spent all of his time developing business models and systems to make pizzas and tacos rather than writing business books about management? What if great musicians developed business models for teaching children to play the violin and piano rather than performing? In other words, there is room and a need for extraordinarily able one-person companies run by technicians.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for all wannabe entrepreneurs, June 20 2004
Scott Jensen (Madison, WI, USA) - See all my reviews
For over a decade now I've been recommending this book (and its earlier edition) to wannabe entrepreneurs that post to the four business newsgroups I co-moderate. Those being misc.entrepreneurs.moderated, misc.business.moderated, misc.business.marketing.moderated, and misc.business.consulting.
This book's most important contribution is talking about what it takes to start and run a successful business AND who should do so. I keep telling newsgroup posters to be real honest with themselves on whether they're a "Technician", "Manager", or "Entrepreneur" so they can save themselves a lot of grief. The rest of the book helps develop the right mindset for starting up and running a business. Have a goal. Aim for that goal. Systematize your business. Delegate. Have an exit plan.
The only thing that could have made this book better was if it had recommended wannabe entrepreneurs to go and talk to business people that are currently running a business they'd like to run. Naturally, not talking to one's future competition, but going out beyond your sales territory and where it overlaps your competition and talking to the business people there. Anyway...
This is a great book and I highly recommend it.

CDN$ 25.99 CDN$ 16.29