5.0 out of 5 stars Very convincing... Very convincing indeed

3.0 out of 5 stars Where's the beef
Published on May 17 2004 by Greg M. Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Where's the beef, May 17 2004
This review is from: The End of Marketing as we Know It (Paperback)
This book by Sergio Zyman is an interesting perspective into the mind of the ex-Coca Cola executive.There are a several nuggets of value in the book, which are based on Sergio's experiences at Coca-Cola. At times he does wax on about things outside his domain of knowledge without throughly researched facts to back up his musings. However, as a perpective of his thought process, and in particular, the impact of some marketing moves at the firm, the book makes an interesting read.

1.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs Down, April 28 2003
This review is from: The End of Marketing as we Know It (Paperback)
Honestly, I was expecting a lot more out of this book. Zyman does a wonderful job at taking a lot of credit for his accomplishments in the marketing world. Nevertheless, there was not a page in the book that the word "I" wasn't mentioned. I wasn't expecting a personal story on how he conquered the markets with the coke brand. I was looking for new and original ideas that were used to improve my marketing techniques.

3.0 out of 5 stars The End of Coke As We Know it, Dec 16 2002
Edward M. Melendez (Austin, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The End of Marketing as we Know It (Paperback)
I'm ambivalent about this book. On the one hand, Sergio Zyman was the architect of New Coke, one of the biggest marketing failures of all time. On the other, he has great spin on this by describing the debacle as how Coke "increased the attachment of the American public to Coca-Cola and sold lots more as a result." You be the judge.
Coca-cola's market share has stagnated in recent years, culminating in vast and well publicized layoffs. Additionally, one has to be leery of any business book published in the late 90's in the midst of an economic bubble when business types were treated like some sort of cross between rock stars and popular jocks. I was also skeptical of some of the advice he gives in the book, especially when he describes some of the other failures of the Coca-Cola company, including building massive production and distribution facilities in the old Eastern bloc following the fall of Communism, and then realizing that most of the people didn't have any money to buy cokes - duh.
Finally, I put aside as much of my distaste as I could for large, morally bankrupt corporations like Coca-Cola and read the book to learn something. There are great insights about the function of ad agencies in strategy, marketing and even some nuggets of interesting management ideas. However, the real gems of the information could have been condensed to a pamphlet you could read in 20 minutes. Good editors would have hacked through all the anecdotes about how to play major ad agencies against each other. I suspect that the people who need that kind of information could buy Sergio himself.
By the way, don't agree Coca-Cola is morally bankrupt?

5.0 out of 5 stars Very convincing... Very convincing indeed, Nov. 22 2002
Vaughan (Beppu-Shi, Oita-Ken Japan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The End of Marketing as we Know It (Paperback)
THE END OF MARKETING AS WE KNOW IT. It's a great business book to add to your collection. Firstly - what is it about? Why is Marketing going to die? Well - Sergio Zyman explains (and convinces) that the majority of people in marketing these days believe that the only thing they have to do in order to be successful is to simply be creative. What a joke. That is no business, definetely no part of Sergio's business. Rather, Sergio states that the NEW WAY OF MARKETING will be based 100% on results, and getting people to buy more of your product. Winning an advertising award in your company, or merely, knowing that people in your workplace are saying how creative you are - means nothing. If you don't have a strategy, which is aimed at producing better results than you are currently recording - you really need to pull up your socks and realize; that because of people like you - the end of marketing is approaching... rapidly.
When business' are losing market share, and need to cut back on something - a vast array of business first cut money from their marketing department. THis is completely ludicrous, as the only way to increase market share, is to implement a new, or work on the current, marketing strategy. This book goes beyond what a textbook will teach you about marketing. Throw away those Kotler books, because watch out, this Mexican, who is the former CMO of the Coca-Cola company - convinces that results are the only thing business is about - especially marketing.
I really liked the book. It's not too heavy - thats probably why I liked it. However, one thing I would love to ask Sergio is his views on Marketing being a Science. This is the only thing that should have been expained more in depth. Maybe that can be your next book! He backs this up with nothing much at all other than the fact that you must test, test and test again. And that you have to experiment, measure, analyze, refine, and implement. How does this differ to an art?
But, other than that - I really liked it. Enjoy the read, he is quite a character!! I'm off to read the end of Advertising!

4.0 out of 5 stars What Any Marketer With A LIttle Common Sense Ought to Know, Oct. 13 2002
Adam F. Jewell (Pittsburgh, PA USA) - See all my reviews
The point of any marketing campaign is to sell more stuff to more people. It's not about winning awards for creativity, it may or may not make people "feel good", it is not a magic box, and it is not something that can be completely outsourced. That, in a nutshell is the gist of "The End of Marketing as We Know It".
This book is really nothing more than common sense (NOT necessarily common practice!), however, if you have been in the advertising/marketing word very long, chances are this book will be a breath of fresh air. In order to sell more stuff to more people, marketing has to focus on positioning and delivering messages that connect with real people, not the CEO or the folks that hand out advertising awards. It's got to show people what's in it for them, why they should buy your stuff, and why they should buy your stuff again, and again.
If you work in an environment that already thinks and work like this, this book may be a waste of your time. If you work in an environment that is developing campaigns for any purpose other than selling more stuff directly or supporting the sales function and making it effortless, this a book you need to read. If you are looking to hire a marketing consultant or an agency and don't know much about marketing, you need to view marketing as an investment in future sales revenue. This book will help you understand and crystallize that for you.
....

1.0 out of 5 stars the end of marketing as we know it, July 21 2002
This review is from: The End of Marketing as we Know It (Paperback)
i was expecting a lot more from this author ,especially coming from a former c.e.o. of coca cola, and i am sorry to say that i was disappointed. the whole thick book, hardbound at that, talks of just one point ,and that is, "every marketing person has just one goal ...make a sale". that is the whole gist of the book, nothing else. the rest of the book just talks about how advertising agencies are "dumb" and how the author became the greatest c.e.o. that the coca cola company has ever had.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great "cut to the chase"book, even better in audio version, Feb. 20 2002
By A Customer
Most of the previous reviews hit on all my main points of why I love this book, except one: this book is even better when you listen to it in Sergios own words. I think we all know how listening to a good speaker can be both motivating and add power to the delivery of the message. He is an excellent speaker, so I strongly recommend you LISTEN to this book. I also recommend you make everyone in your marketing department listen to this tape. Call a meeting and have them all listen to it together, it will be well worth their time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, someone is asking advertisers to sell something, Jan. 28 2002
This review is from: The End of Marketing as we Know It (Paperback)
An open letter to my clients and those who should be.
I'm guilty and I'll bet you are too.
As a matter of fact, almost every business is guilty of not demanding results from advertising. We've been lulled into believing that marginal results are not only expected-they're acceptable. It's time to change all that.
I've been producing advertising for a little over 25 years now, and I've come to the conclusion that we've gotten soft. I constantly get requests from clients for advertising, knowing that it's not going to do much to sell anything. And until now, I've frequently been guilty of going along with their request and collecting the checks. (To be perfectly honest, it's pretty easy.)
It's time to change all that.
Sergio Zyman said it best: Advertising and marketing should "sell more stuff to more people more often for higher prices."
I've read all the "big books" on marketing, branding and postioning and while they all have something to say, few of them grab you by the collar and tell you that advertising and marketing have to sell something. Zyman nails it.
While you won't find a lot of fuzzy theory here and it may not lead you to your next consulting gig, this book will cut through the stuff with which we've all grown far too comfortable.
After reading "The End of Marketing as We Know It" I took a major step by refusing to produce advertising that doesn't specifically and intentionally lead to a sale. If you'll be honest with yourself, you'll probably see that you're guilty of getting soft.
Thanks to Zyman, I'm looking for a few clients that will challenge me and allow me to challenge them. Our goal is to produce outstanding advertising that returns measurable results. It's going to be very hard work and require a dogged commitment on each of our parts. Our goal won't be to produce clever, creative, moving, flashy or cute for the sake of "the art." (Although we'll employ any combination of those things to make sure we're attracting the right response from the right people.) We'll focus on results. In the end, we're all going to wonder why we hadn't done it sooner.
Can we do it? I know we can. I've done it over and over on those occasions when businesses and organizations were in trouble and had an urgent need to increase sales, contributions or support.
If you're looking for a flashy agency and someone that will always agree with you, we're not interested. If you're looking for some people that will sweat with you and challenge you as you challenge us-we just might be able to get some things done.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Primer!, June 3 2001
This book is a must read for any business person engaged in selling a product or service. Some of the reading may seem like it is stating the obvious, but it has to be said! All too often the same mistakes in business occur repeatedly. "The End Of Marketing As We Know It" is a real-world example of business. Buy this for your son or daughter in business school, or simply for yourself as solid bedtime reading.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do you have to be a marketing pro?, March 10 2001
This review is from: The End of Marketing as we Know It (Paperback)
Zyman's book is great for the layman but for the professional marketer, it has missed the mark. I was so disappointed when I read the book, that I had to read it again. How could Coke's marketer rely on his intuition when creating marketing programs? Anyone with a 100 million dollar budget and a trial and error system of marketing will succeed once. What happened to the days of marketing for the sake of sales? Do yourself and Zyman a favor, buy anything from Al Ries and the team of Clancy/Krieg. Systematic researched meathods and tried and true positioning techniques are the only things that will help you.

The End of Marketing as we Know It
The End of Marketing as we Know It by Sergio Zyman (Paperback - Nov. 10 2000)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.59