march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

on March 7, 2016
Although it's certainly not a hard western, it's a strong western-lite. Hitting all the right notes for people who may not be fans of the genre generally. I wouldn't call it phenomenal, but it's engaging.
The core characters (Charlie, Eli, and Tub) are well crafted, while others are, obviously, less fleshed out. Unfortunately the non-core characters end up feeling somewhat punchliney, and end up being used almost exclusively to reflect back on Charlie and Eli.
The plot is pretty simple aside from one or two twists, though the narrative never really strays from it's path. The book also leans HEAVILY on tropes of the western genre.
This may sound a little bit on the negative side, but there are some good reasons the book was so successful. The accessibility and narrative drive create an easy reading experience, and the simplicity of the satellite characters keeps from jostling the plot. It came out at a pretty much perfect time for a mini-western revival, and scratching that itch was obviously a contributing factor, but none of that would have mattered if the book wasn't at least honest with it's characters.
on May 5, 2012
This is a fine book. Beautiful language, interesting story. I have read that many people find it funny, but I confess that I did not. It was amusing at times, and never predictable or boring, but I never laughed. I do not mean that as criticism. I read it in a rush, which is unusual for me, because I just loved the narrator's words. It felt to me like a "guy book", but my wife's book club (all women) read it and seemed to enjoy it quite a bit as well.
on April 16, 2012
I did not have high expectations for The Sisters Brothers before reading it, despite the awards and critic's reviews. It was a book club selection. I quickly discovered that it was not a typical read of the Western genre. It was witty, hillarious in parts, utterly readable, and educational to boot. There was a psychological richness to it that did not disappoint.

Pros: I loved the narrator's character, Eli, who is one of the Sister's brothers. It was a complex, rich and quite believeable character that offered plenty of surprises. I also really enjoyed the humour.

Cons: Despite the obvious point that the ending was making and its important message, I did not enjoy the ending. Perhaps that's just me, though. I will let you decide for yourself.
on January 16, 2015
A new classic. Reminds me of True Grit but different, its own thing. The narrator again is great---that is what carries this book, I think. The great narration of Charlie Sisters. I am looking forward to more from Dewitt.
on February 14, 2012
I wasn't overly impressed with this book. It is set during the gold rush days but the two brothers come off like they should be English professors rather then two hired killers. The details were not very realistic - particular about the state of dentistry in the 1850s. I read the book, just didn't enjoy it all that much.
on October 6, 2014
Though this novel is quite different from the other books I have reviewed, which tend to belong to the fantasy genre, I nonetheless was intrigued to read it, because of three things: the bizarre cover, the awards it has won, and descriptions I had heard about its graphic depiction of violence.

Actually, fantasy readers might like this book because it is a fine work of genre fiction: that is to say, the Western. Westerns follow many of the romance conventions that inspire fantasy novels. Just as Sir Lancelot rides into castles, performs deeds for the king, wins fame and fortune, and rides out, back on his quest for the Holy Grail, Charlie and Eli Sisters, the protagonists of DeWitt’s novel, have multiple side-adventures.

Their quest is to fulfill their contract for the mysterious man named the Commodore, by murdering the prospector Hermann Kermit Warm. But then they begin to question the moral nature of their violent and dangerous job…
The adventures the two Sisters brothers may appear to be random, but in midst of the grit and melancholy of the Old West, little insights into the human condition surface, glowing like pieces of gold dust in a mighty California river.
on January 4, 2014
In this off-beat Western two brothers, Eli and Charlie Sisters, are hired to kill Herman Kermit Warm, a man who may have stolen money from their ruthless boss, although they don’t worry too much about the reason they have to kill him. They’re hired killers, and so they set out to do what they’re hired to do. Charlie is the nastier, quick-tempered one of the two brothers, while Eli, the narrator, maintains a bit of optimism about humanity, although he’s just as ready as Charlie to kill whoever gets in his way.
The story takes them on a search for Warm during the California Gold Rush, and on the road they meet the expected unusual cast of characters: Indians, witches, barflies, and so on. The details are rich, the commentary by Eli is sometimes touching, and even humorous, despite the violence in the book. As we get to know Eli we come to feel that he and his brother are prisoners in a jail of their own making, knowing nothing else but violence and life in the wilds. Eli, at least, would be happier doing anything else for a living, but he is fiercely loyal to Charlie, no matter what the other does.
A revisionist Western, in some ways, exploring stereotypes and turning them inside out, but far from plodding or preachy. The book keeps you reading to find out what sort of mischief the two brothers will get into next, all the while wondering if there will be redemption for either of them at the end, or if they will face a reckoning for the choices they’ve made. Definitely worth reading.
on January 19, 2012
A beautifully written evocative tale. But I didn't like it. The dialogue and interior monologues are witty and intuitive, the descriptions are fantastic but as a story, I didn't care for it much. As other reviewers have stated, there is a lot of violence in this tale and my stomach turned with the treatment of the horse. The book is about a long journey and the return to home as many books are but in the end I felt "so what." I would read this author again as he is indeed talented, maybe it was just a case of the subject matter not being to my taste.
on November 14, 2015
The 2 princes of Serendip in 1850. With murder, and folly. What's not to like about it? It's like a Flashman novel with less (but not zero) cowardice. If you like Zane Grey and Louis L'amour, this novel may not be for you. But it reads well and the dialogue is excellent, can't understand the bad reviews it's getting.
on February 2, 2012
The publishers review reads 'Patrick] DeWitt has produced a genre-bending frontier saga that is exciting, funny, and perhaps unexpectedly, moving', however I found this book was not the least bit exciting, rarely funny, hardly moving and yes... unexpected in a weird sort of a way. I am reminded that when a book comes with a long list of awards it is hardly ever a really good read. Some parts of the book were quite gruesome and the rest was mostly just boring. I did finish reading the book, and the last part of the book centered around a rather unique idea (regarding gold prospecting) but it was not a book that I would recommend to anyone.