5.0 out of 5 stars Canadian railroad Trilogy
Published on Feb. 6 2011 by mldcos

The book is basically a collection of illustrations to go with the lyrics of the song, and as such I guess it is OK.

Published 10 days ago by Sidecar Bob

2.0 out of 5 stars I was most disappointed that there wasn't more written content, July 20 2014
This review is from: Canadian Railroad Trilogy (Hardcover)

I was most disappointed that there wasn't more written content. Other than a line from the lyrics across the bottom of each picture the entire text consists of 2 pages at the back of the book where the author talks about his inspiration for the pictures.

And as for the illustrations, someone once said "I don't know much about art but I know what I like". Well, I don't particularly like these ones. The people are all portrayed with somewhat distorted proportions, a bit too wide for their height and I am sure the author has never looked closely at either a steam locomotive or railroad tracks because they just wouldn't work if they were built the way he shows. I know they are not technical drawings and are only supposed to give an impression of what the lyrics mean to the artist but really, in this day & age with all of the historical images available on the internet without leaving your own home, there is no excuse for not at least getting the basic details correct.

1.0 out of 5 stars this is sheet music--- not a book!, July 25 2013
Don't buy this if you're looking for the Gordon Lightfoot book. The kindle book is actually sheet music. I'm disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canadian railroad Trilogy, Feb. 6 2011
mldcos (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canadian Railroad Trilogy (Hardcover)
Gordon Lightfoot's iconic song illustrated beautifully by well known illustrator, Ian Wallace. Captures Canadian history of the building of the railroad across the country. A book for all ages from children to adults. Children will love and learn with this book. Adults will be entranced to see a favourite song illustrated. Also a great coffee table book. Such a marvellous achievement of the melding of words and art.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Book, Oct. 23 2010
M. Siedzik - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canadian Railroad Trilogy (Hardcover)
The book is awesome and my granddaughter loves it! The shipping time, however, was terrible! It took forever. I ordered it from Canada because I wanted my granddaughter to get it before it was released in the U.S. When I look at DHL tracking for the item, the book went all over the United States before it got to my granddaughter's house in New York.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, Nov. 4 2011
This review is from: Canadian Railroad Trilogy (Hardcover)
This is a beautiful book. Lightfoot's classic song accompanied with superb illustrations. If you care about this country and its history, give it to a child in your life. I gave this book to my 4 year old grandson who is a train enthusiast(Thomas and all that). I read it to him one day after we had gone on a little hike to see crews rebuilding the historic Kinsol Trestle on Vancouver Island. He sat in rapt attention and was very excited when we came to the trestle page. Later he told his mom, "I love this book!"

Canadian Railroad Trilogy
Canadian Railroad Trilogy by Gordon Lightfoot (Hardcover - Aug. 9 2010)
CDN$ 24.95 CDN$ 15.64