5.0 out of 5 stars Our All Time Favourite Cookbooks
Published on Sept. 26 2010 by Diana

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not the book, it's the format
This book ought not to be offered in Kindle format. It's a great read, rollicking at times and very engaging, but this kind of book ought to be able to be thumbed over, dripped on, flipped back and forth easily...none of which activities are suitable or even possible in a Kindle edition. I would have had a far different opinion had I read it as a 'real' book. Too bad.
Published 9 months ago by Nan

5.0 out of 5 stars Our All Time Favourite Cookbooks, Sept. 26 2010
Diana (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Food That Really Schmecks (Paperback)
Recipes reminiscent of the smells from Oma's kitchen, even if they're not exactly the same. Many old time favorites, and lots of new ones, too. I've had this set for many years in hard cover, and given many as gifts to family and friends. My children even use these ... so, when my daughter wanted to borrow the books to take to her apartment in Toronto, the other 3 objected ... it was time to give each of them their own set. Too bad they don't come in hard cover anymore. Well worth the investment!

4.0 out of 5 stars Schmecks!, Feb. 12 2009
This review is from: Food That Really Schmecks (Paperback)
Of the three books in the series, this is clearly the one to acquire. The recipes are truly in the "Eastern European?" cooking tradition I remember.
Marianne

3.0 out of 5 stars It's not the book, it's the format, April 2 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for weight watchers!, Oct. 27 2009
Linda S. Holland (Victoria, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Food That Really Schmecks (Paperback)
If you like cooking with chicken fat, lard and lots of butter you'll like this book. I bought it for a particular cake recipe that I had in a restaurant and was told it came from this book. I'd hoped it would have a lot of other yummy stuff just like it. And it does ... but most are so 'out there' (suet pudding) or so old fashioned (hot headcheese) or unavailable (fried rabbit) that I'll never use them. It reminds me of how my grandma (born around 1900) used to cook. Nostalgic, but not very healthy. Having said that it's very 'folksy' and interesting to read about a soup that's good "if you've just had all your teeth out". So I'll make the cake and maybe try a couple of the pie and cookie recipes but the rest of the book just isn't very healthy or practical in this day and age.

Food That Really Schmecks
Food That Really Schmecks by Edna Staebler (Paperback - Dec 4 2006)
CDN$ 34.95 CDN$ 33.20