Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

on September 26, 2010
Recipes reminiscent of the smells from Oma's kitchen, even if they're not exactly the same. Many old time favorites, and lots of new ones, too. I've had this set for many years in hard cover, and given many as gifts to family and friends. My children even use these ... so, when my daughter wanted to borrow the books to take to her apartment in Toronto, the other 3 objected ... it was time to give each of them their own set. Too bad they don't come in hard cover anymore. Well worth the investment!
on May 4, 2015
I grew up in Kitchener-Waterloo, and this book makes me very nostalgic! My first job was in a Mennonite bakery in St Jacobs, ON, and I often go to this book first when I want to make something similar to what was prepared there, especially pies. When I think 'Mennonite' I think PIES! This book has a fantastic section on pies and tarts. It has 50+ pie recipes! I think it is worth getting just for that. Where else are you going to find recipes for schnitz, strawberry custard, and shoo-fly pie? Oh and you can't forget the butter tarts! Other noteworthy recipes include the crumb cake, apple fritters, and Chelsea (sticky) buns. I also often use the salad and pickle recipes.
The recipes for main dishes are often simply made with quality ingredients. There is a bit of vagueness in some of these recipes, which allows the cook a bit of flexibility. A Mennonite recipe is unlikely to use 'convenience' ingredients and that is true in this book. Occasionally she will use for a 'tin' of something in her recipes, but not often. Traditionally, Mennonites use fresh, local, seasonal foods, which taste better than imported produce. That alone can change a recipe from 'blah' to WOW.
I hope that this book continues to be printed for many years to come, not just for the recipes, but also to remember the traditional Mennonite culture, which is slowly changing and becoming scarce (as Stabler mentions in another one of her books). Some of the recipes may seem obscure or out of date for our way of life but their presence is part of the charm of this book!
It is worth looking at this book cover to cover at least once to experience the charm of the culture in and around the Kitchener-Waterloo area.
I never want to be without this book so I will always have multiple copies of this book, just in case!
on February 12, 2009
Of the three books in the series, this is clearly the one to acquire. The recipes are truly in the "Eastern European?" cooking tradition I remember.
on January 24, 2015
My aunt bought this for my Mom as a gift. I bought it for my wife as a gift. My wife bought it for my son as a gift, so now it's been through three generations in my family. Quirky and fun. It's the "Sunshine Sketches" of Canadian cookbooks. I love the cookie section.
on April 2, 2014
This book ought not to be offered in Kindle format. It's a great read, rollicking at times and very engaging, but this kind of book ought to be able to be thumbed over, dripped on, flipped back and forth easily...none of which activities are suitable or even possible in a Kindle edition. I would have had a far different opinion had I read it as a 'real' book. Too bad.
on October 2, 2015
Excellent , down to earth, tasty recipes.y
on October 27, 2009
If you like cooking with chicken fat, lard and lots of butter you'll like this book. I bought it for a particular cake recipe that I had in a restaurant and was told it came from this book. I'd hoped it would have a lot of other yummy stuff just like it. And it does ... but most are so 'out there' (suet pudding) or so old fashioned (hot headcheese) or unavailable (fried rabbit) that I'll never use them. It reminds me of how my grandma (born around 1900) used to cook. Nostalgic, but not very healthy. Having said that it's very 'folksy' and interesting to read about a soup that's good "if you've just had all your teeth out". So I'll make the cake and maybe try a couple of the pie and cookie recipes but the rest of the book just isn't very healthy or practical in this day and age.