5.0 out of 5 stars You Are Your child's 1st Teacher, Oct. 19 2000
James N. Daukas "Book hound" (Takoma Park, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six (Paperback)
The best book on parenting. Start with this one and add others for specific areas. If you are looking for a baby shower gift for a friend or relative, give them this book. The other gifts will fall by the wayside, this book will help the child (and parents) for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Sept. 19 2001
apoem "apoem" (Bosque Farms, NM USA) - See all my reviews
I picked this book up when I began doing research on homeschooling. I found it to be a wonderful book about gently teaching children.
This book focuses on leading children through a path of exploration in various areas (art, music etc.) It is especially geared towards little children and babies. Most of the activities suggested are easy and cheap using on hand materials and things found in nature.
Although I didn't view this as a parenting book per say, I found it to be more of a philosophy of living with children. It certainly has influenced the way I parent and some of the activities I do with my children.
As and added benefit, I did a lot of research taking off from this book on Waldorf schooling and found a lot I liked about it. I certainly do plan on using this method as I begin to teach my children.
I certainly would suggest that this is a good book to read when you have a baby.

ARRAY(0xc0de351c)