4.0 out of 5 stars Establishing a genre
This book, Peretti's first adult effort, constitutes a pioneering effort of Christian literature. Here Peretti delves into spiritual matters, both Christian fundamentalism and Eastern mysticism. He reaches down into our inner-most fears and touches us on a deep, almost primal level. He exposes those "things that go bump in the night". Peretti reveals a world within...
Published on June 9 2003 by Steven Sammons

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely scary - but not in the way the author intended!!
Skimming this book was the most I could endure (unfortunately a "zero-stars" rating was not one of the options), and I can think of no better way to express my sentiments than to quote Bruce Bawer, the author of the excellent, eye-opening, and thought-provoking book *Stealing Jesus: how fundamentalism betrays Christianity*:
"It cannot be stressed too strongly...that...
Published on June 20 2002 by A concerned citizen

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 417 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining but...., March 7 2004
Richard Magee "Wish Ewe Were Hear" (Abingdon, Maryland USA) - See all my reviews
This novel is quite entertaining, although it presents such a good versus evil plotline that the characters are clearly on one side or the other. It seems as if the novel represents something Stephen King might write if he were a fundamentalist Christian, which might explain why I kept comparing it to THE STAND as I read it. While I quite enjoyed reading this book (it was difficult to put it down!), I think that "Satan" and "demons" would more likely influence humanity as portrayed in CS Lewis' THE SCREWTAPE LETTERS. That is to say, that the free will of humans would be more emphasized and that demons would tempt people more than possess them. I also found myself recalling Christ's words to "lover thy enemies" and wondering how this fit in with the angels slashing demons to shreds with swords. If the angels cannot love their enemies, how can we mere mortals hope to? While these criticisms may give the impression I don't like the story, I do. I just have some reservations, that's all.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT! WONDERFUL! REAL-LIFE! DRAMA! THANK YOU MR.PERETTI, Oct. 27 1997
This review is from: This Present Darkness (Paperback)
This book helped me realize that demons are names subject to the name of Jesus! It has helped me understand just who I am in Christ and the benefits of being born again. Anyone who contradicts or do not beleive that Mr. Peretti is not a child God must not be. And for those who feel that the Third Person of the Godhead was omitted from this book really could not understand the bible. There is no way Mr. Peretti could have written this book without the help of the Holy Spirit leading and guide and showing him things he needed to know in order to give such vivid insight into the spirit realm. I was never really a book reader but now I am since there are Christian books like this one. This book was so informative that my Pastor is thinking of making it mandatory to the congregation to read it before becoming a member at our church. Again, thank you for this book and the many more to come. See you on the big screen soon!!(THROUGH THE EYES OF MY FAITH!!!) LYDIA BARNETT;ST. LOUIS MO

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and Original, Feb. 21 2001
Scott Miller (Caddo Mills, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Present Darkness (Paperback)
With this book, Peretti has shown himself to be one of the very few authors able to write a satisfying Christian thriller. Breaking into the fascinating realm of the supernatural, Peretti gives us a breathless view of the daily war waged between angels and demons.
Where this novel fails is in its stereotypical view of angels and demons. While most Christians believe demons are fallen angels who have teamed up with Satan, Peretti makes the angels seem almost human while the demons seem more like dark, dirty renditions of the slimy green ghost in the hotel in "GhostBusters". And the demons seem woefully inferior to the angels.
Still, those moments are few, and Peretti's deft writing (which does get a little bogged down in the middle) keeps the action moving and doesn't allow such low-points to have much affect on the flow of the story. Highly recommended if for no other reason than as a prelude for the second book which is even better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Christian fiction!, Jan. 7 2002
This review is from: This Present Darkness (Paperback)
I used to love to read mystery novels, stories full of suspence and intrigue. As a Christian I wondered if there was something out there I could feel comfortable reading, when I came across this novel in my church library.
It deals with the struggle between good and evil. I saw where someone lessened this struggle by insisting what was portrayed as evil simply is not, but as a Christian familiar with God's Word I assure you it is forbidden in the Bible and is in fact evil. The story may take a bit to get into, but once you do it is action packed, full of suspense! I simply did not want the story to end! This story also is carried on in Piercing The Darkness, which I highly recommend! I actually enjoyed the second novel the most.
Anyway, if you are looking for Christianity's answer to Stephen King, look no more! Good writing, good story, all from the view of a Christian writer. And I would recommend it to anyone!

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting..., Jan. 28 2000
This review is from: This Present Darkness (Paperback)
Interesting that people are saying his characters are "predictable." A sure sign of bad writing is "unpredictable" characters, which means, more likely than not, a weak plot and underdevelopment. I don't understand why people didn't just stop reading the book if it was below their literary caliber. What literary caliber that is I don't know, as the plot progressed so well and smoothly, with perspectives from so many different characters, not once losing the reader, that I'd call that some first-class writing. What I love about this book was the way it held me in suspense until I finished it all! You know it'll be a happy ending, but how that will come about keeps you riveted. Undoubtedly, it's dangerous to take the book as a Biblical parallel. It's a fictional work and uses convenient Biblical truths for illustration. But insightful-reminded me of the Screwtape Letters

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good....., Sept. 27 2003
This review is from: This Present Darkness (Paperback)
With it already being said: this book is a great door to realizing the spiritual battles that take place in our every day lives. I was disgusted to see the one bad review of this book. That person obviously has no grasp on the bible at all. If you believe that Wiccans and New Agers are not evil, well think again. That just goes to show you how fooled you really are. You're blinded by deceit so terribly that you can't even recognize the faults in your own beliefs. I am still in the process of reading this book and I must say that as much as it seems to be like fantasy, that fantasy is truly a reality. Take it or leave it this book shows us what's really going on in our lives every single day. If you have read this book and don't like it, I dare you to attempt at critizing this book with any truth of your own. How blind you are if you do not believe in the message this book is portraying. Read your bible!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story not to be taken %100 seriously, Sept. 2 2001
This review is from: This Present Darkness (Paperback)
What Frank set out to do, and what he occomplished is treuly wonderful. He brought the christian unseen world into a context that is understandable and enjoyable. As one other reviewer sia,d most xian literature is dreadfully dull and unredable. This, and Jim Walker's books are very readable. Some of the pheology is stretched, but I think it's done so to give the story life. I do wish some angels had been killed, and are demons ugly? Also, some of the demons asked who Tal was. They all knew each other! That whole temper tamtrem that was put in there could have been eliminated. I don't believe that newagers are trying to take over the world like he says, but it does make for a good read. If you haven't read the book do so! I think it can be appriciated by both christian and onchristian alike. Just don't think it's a perfect reflection of reality as some people appear to believe.

4.0 out of 5 stars Angelic Forces at Work, Jan. 17 2000
This review is from: This Present Darkness (Paperback)
An interesting concept, of which until Peretti has never been written of, to my knowledge. Many a Christian has wondered of the spiritual activity that takes place daily in heaven and earth, and whether this is a true interpretation of the events taking place in the spirit world or not, it does present itself to be very entertaining reading. Peretti's first novel, if I'm not mistaken, and by my judgement, his finest. I have read this book several times, and after each time I walk away with something I never received from it before, while still maintaining a degree of freshness, so as not to become a stale story. More than anything, I must confess that this novel makes the reader think - and I understand that that is a tired cliche at best, but I must strongly contest that it is in fact the case here. Prepare to be stimulated.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST book I've ever read!!!!!!!!!!!, March 27 1998
This review is from: This Present Darkness (Paperback)
In this book, Frank really makes clear the need for and rewards of prayer. This Present Darkness was so good, I NEVER wanted to put it down!!!It get's really deep into spiritual warfare and how God uses all evil for good some way or another! This reporter moves from New York and buys a small paper. He starts learning and hearing about some strange stuff, and he just gets more and more involved and gets several threats and warnings to stay out and leave it alone. The plot unfolds and he gets deeper and deeper until he can't get out. As the plot unfolds, everyone realizes that their town is under extremely heavy Satanic attack! Marshal Hogan, the reporter, and Hank Busche, a pastor of a small church, get suited up for the biggest flesh and spiritual battle of their lives! I VERY HIGHLY recommend this book to any and EVERYONE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritual Truths Revealed Through Fiction, Nov. 8 2003
Dr. W. G. Covington, Jr. (Edinboro, Pennsylvania) - See all my reviews
Peretti uses fiction to illustrate spiritual realities. He does so effectively in establishing his plot, characters, and setting. In the margin in one place in the book I wrote, "What is taught has consequences." Truth liberates. This book shows how a lack of knowledge on spiritual matters can have adverse consequences.
Prayer's power is demonstrated through the story line. He addresses the fallacy of what Hindus call "karma," that a person can earn brownie points as opposed to the reality of accepting the Jesus and what He did.
This book shows two worlds operating simultaneously. The physical world everyone sees is governed by the invisible spiritual world. Prayer taps into that unseen dimension for direct results in the material realm. By reading this book you see the interaction take place.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 417 | Next ›

This Present Darkness
This Present Darkness by Thomas Nelson (Paperback - Jan. 18 1993)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.01