5.0 out of 5 stars This book has great sentimental value for me.
Published on March 29 2002 by Andrew Parodi

2.0 out of 5 stars wallowing
depressing. (Ha) really, though, i just can't imagine anyone wanting to put themselves through that kind of hell everyday. i think that we need to spend more time reading the many powerful novels that are out there - ones that let us laugh, cry and celebrate all the aspects of life's ups and downs. i think the book was written in the best intentions and with a true...
Published on March 10 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has great sentimental value for me., March 29 2002
Andrew Parodi (Oregon, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Language of Letting Go: Hazelden Meditation Series (Paperback)
I had just read Ms. Beattie's famous/infamous "Codependent No More" and was inspired by her revolutionary ideas: I didn't have to depend on others for approval; I didn't have to base my self-worth on how helpful I was to friends; I didn't have to over-react to everything that happened in my life; I didn't have to think negatively about myself; if I didn't cause the problem then it wasn't my responsibility to fix it.
As a teenager about to enter the "real world," it seemed all I heard from others was what I was "not" doing right. I should know more than I did and be more grateful for what I have; what college did I want to attend? Why wasn't I more ambitious? What's more, I was odd for being frightened by the fact that the world as I knew it was about to fall apart when all my friends moved away to college. Raised among drug addicts and alcoholics, it had been a difficult life thus far. And apparently, if what teachers told me was any indication, it would only get more difficult as I took on the responsibilities of being an adult. Melody's book gave me something that I so desperately needed and could find nowhere else: compassion.
"Codependent No More" was so comforting that I wanted to "live" in its pages. I felt I had entered a new world, and I didn't want to leave. I wanted a way to remember everything I had learned from Melody Beattie about "owning my power" and being compassionate with myself. I wanted a way to "stay on track." I wanted a "guide," something of a daily ritual to keep myself mindful of the liberation she had introduced me to. To that end, I sent Melody Beattie a letter thanking her for her work and asking if she knew anything about "Codependents Anonymous" groups. I was honored to receive a reply, and she directed me to the national headquarters for CoDA. I began to go to the meetings at the now closed "Journey's Bookstore" in Beaverton, Oregon, and that is where I found this book, "The Language of Letting Go". These meditations helped keep me focused on what I had learned, and the meetings allowed me to share what I had learned. And this all enabled me to do what I had wanted: "live" in the pages of Melody's compassion.
Melody is a poet. These meditations are not "scientific" or technical, and they are not even really "meditations" per se - they are more daily reminders, notes from Melody, on how to find happiness within oneself, and how to be compassionate with oneself when such happiness seems impossible. There is no "fancy" language that will necessitate a dictionary, and no unattainable goals are suggested. There are no come-ons to suggest that your life will not be complete unless you buy her other books. These meditations feel like letters from a friend, a friend who enjoys her life and is happy to share her personal insights and situations she has learned from; that is one of the most enjoyable things about this book, the personal stories Melody shares. There is no "finger pointing" in this book. I very faithfully read one meditation per day during the remainder of my last year of High School, and it made life bearable and gave me hope that things would get better (they did). The underlying message of this book could be: breathe, smile, relax, let go.
If you are looking for a structured way to practice what you have learned from Melody's other books, I would recommend these meditations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing!, March 30 2009
This is a daily reflection book with a different reading for every day of the year. I have been reading this book daily for most of the past ten years and continue to experience new insights about self, others, and interpersonal relationships.

Melody Beattie has become recognized as an authority in the field of addiction recovery and codependency. If you are affected by addiction in any way, whether directly or through a loved one, this book will touch your heart, stimulate thoughtful reflection, and help you heal and change your life.

At A Home Away addiction recovery retreat, this is a standard morning reflection we read from every morning after breakfast. The powerful sharing that is stimulated often forms the cornerstone of the recovery experience of many of our guests.

Regardless of whether you consider yourself working a program of recovery, anyone interested in personal growth and improving the quality of relationships would benefit from this book. I strongly recommend it be used as a daily reflection, and not read through as a text book.

I also recommend this particular edition over "More Language of Letting Go". As useful as that is, this original has the basics not to be missed.

John Derry, A Home Away Retreat, Kelowna, BC, Canada

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice to find I am not the ONLY ONE, April 10 1999
By A Customer
Co Dependent No More helped me greatly. It was like a slap in the face and a big wake up call. So I had to buy this book as well! Because ,I could not let go of relationships in my life that had died long ago. I was obsessed with any and all people,upon knowing them for two minutes. This guide is very inspiring and helpful,helps you get through the day. Melody's books were suggested to me by an excellent Therapist.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than letting go, Jan. 6 2012
L. Power "nlp trainer" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
I had been thinking about buying a book on this topic for some time to further my self improvement process.

This book is about so much more than letting go. It is also about personal power. When you let go of something, it loses its power to control you, and you move forward with your life in a more empowering way.

This book is set up with daily meditations on different issues. If you were to open any page at random, you would probably find something very useful. It is easily read, and as you read can feel the shift in your perception, as these simple to follow principles make a lot of sense.

If you are like most people, there are plenty of things you need to let go of, and you probably have no idea what some of these are. The first step is to identify that a change needs to be made.

Here you will discover many ideas you can use to improve your life. There are too many for me to list in a review, but here are a few biggies:

Attachment, guilt, blame, seeking appoval, codependency, fear, doubt, controlling, family issues, perfection, martyrdom, denial, grief, anger, victimhood.

You replace these non serving beliefs with something more empowering, as you start to practice detachment, self approval, develop an abundance mentality, an attitude of gratitude etc.

There is a principle in psychology that if you do what you have always done, you will get what you have always gotten.

So,let go and move forward. Imagine how pleased you will be when you have made a lasting change in your life. All lasting changes in your outer reality are accompanied by changes in internal perception.

I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tells you what it really means to let go!, Jan. 13 2003
By A Customer
This book tells you what it really means to let go and what happens if you truly let go. Many times we think we have let go of something in our heads but we are just in denial. Our heart has not really let go. This book has helped me overcome some of the most painful experiences in my life. If you want to really understand what letting go means, I'd also recommend "The Ever-transcending Spirit" by Toru Sato. After you read this book by Toru, you will feel very free and understand how life is actually quite simple and extremely beautiful.

5.0 out of 5 stars I carry this book with me like a bible!, Oct. 29 1997
By A Customer
Having read the book 5 years ago, I still pick up the book everyday, especially when I feel those codependent controlling emotions resurfacing. The book literally saved me from myself the self-defeating behavoirs of trying to control life. It has changed my life. My book is falling apart from use, it is my daily spiritual guidance and encouragement. I couldn't live without it. Thank you from a very codependent who was brought across that bridge into the light. This book has saved me, in financial crisis', in my love relationship, in every aspect of my life. It has taught me that I cannot control life. My screen saver here at work says, "You cannot control people or events... trust, believe and let it go, just let it go"! This book is powerful, a life saver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Melody lives in my head and in my heart, July 12 2001
Rev. Randa L. Norman (Mead, OK United States) - See all my reviews
I have had this book since shortly after it was published. I cannot tell you how many I have purchased for friends and family. Now I have just purchased one for my granddaughter. Whenever I find myself, and sometimes others, at a point of conflict I turn to "The Yellow Book" for comfort and solace and just good sound thinking. Melody lives at my house!, in my head and in my heart. Her ability to verbalize her connection with God, her soul and her circumstances is phenomenal. No one should be without this wonderful book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excuse this second hand review, June 8 2000
By A Customer
My husband was going through a very difficult period last year. Being a librarian I have access to *lots* of self-help books, and brought him a wide variety to read. He says this one helped him the most.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Language of Letting Go, Sept. 28 2001
Allison Kennedy (Brisbane, Queensland Australia) - See all my reviews
I have owned a copy of 'The Language of Letting Go' since its original publication in 1996 and am still finding it useful and pertinent to my daily living. I bought the book at a time when I needed some guidance and this book provided this and more. It has allowed me to understand that what I feel is both normal and natural and that I should not deny emotions and thoughts that inevitably surface.
I have suffered from post-viral depression, stress from studying, loneliness and yes, co-dependency. Melody Beattie, in this book has helped me to realise that I shouldn't try to push my fears and needy emotions aside. Rather I have come to realise I should just let the feelings go, and realise I can't control everything in my life.
I am still using the book, not everyday but when I feel I need to. Inevitably I find what I need in each daily meditation. This has always been a daily tonic to me.
Recently I lent my book to a good friend who is going through a very rough time - She was involved in a bad car accident she was told she should have died in. Since that time she has suffered from an eating disorder and has tried to push her closest friends and family away from her, afraid that she could hurt us with her pain. I know this book has helped her enormously, she told me so. Now I'm buying one for her. I think this is probably the best gift I could give her.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lifeline, Aug. 8 1999
I'll admit it -- I read this book through a crisis and a time of life that saw transitions everywhere. And while I'm still reeling from pain, and disbelief of the events that have happened to me in the past few years, I am already so much better from reading this book.
When I find myself tempted by defeating behaviors, reading one passage reminds me why I don't want to continue down that road any longer.
The funny thing is, I never saw myself as a codependent or as an addictive person. It doesn't matter what type of turmoil you're going through -- this book WILL remind you of a better way of life.
It truly is a lifeline. I keep a copy at work and am discovering I'll need one at home to. If you struggle with any type of negativity, this book can help remind you that it's really going to be okay.

The Language of Letting Go: Hazelden Meditation Series
The Language of Letting Go: Hazelden Meditation Series by Melody Beattie (Paperback - June 1 1990)
CDN$ 19.99 CDN$ 14.43
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available