5.0 out of 5 stars Ancient Wisdom made practical and accessible!
Published on April 7 2002 by Michael P. McGarry

2.0 out of 5 stars New Age, New Age, New Age. . .
Published on Oct. 25 2002 by WDMax

5.0 out of 5 stars Ancient Wisdom made practical and accessible!, April 7 2002
Michael P. McGarry (Berkeley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sevenfold Journey: Reclaiming Mind, Body and Spirit Through the Chakras (Paperback)
This is one of my favorite books, and one I recommend often to friends. It's topic are the chakras, the seven energy centers of the human body. After an introductory chapter, it devotes a chapter to each chakra in depth. Unlike so many other books about chakras, though, this book does NOT just talk & talk & talk about them. Talk feeds the head, and the chakras are about whole-body experience: being able to give a precise verbal definition of the third chakra is NOT at all the same as having a healthy third chakra! This book thoroughly acknowledges that, and for each chakra, recommends a wealth of approaches --- including word association exercises, journal exercises, yogic stretches & exercises (all illustrated with photographs), partner bodywork (again, photographs), and sacred rituals --- for each chakra. Because of the richness and depth of the treatment of each chakra, this book is ideal for someone quite experienced in energetic bodywork as well as for someone who barely knows what a "chakra" is. It can be read cover to cover, or can be consulted as a reference book when issues arise with a particular chakra. If you follow the program they lay out, doing all the exercises for all the chakras, there is almost no way you could avoid experiencing some measure of personal growth and transformation. I can think of no other book that better deserves the epiteth of "User Manual for the Human Body." I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical Guide to Using the Chakras for Self Improvement, Dec 28 1998
By A Customer
The Sevenfold Journey is a wonderful guide to using the chakra system for self improvement. After providing an overview of the chakras, the book goes into much more detail about each one, including related foods, colors, symbols, etc., and causes and effects of difficiencies in each chakra. Each chapter also provides several practical ways to work on strengthening the chakra through journal exercises, physical exercises, and related activities. This is a book that cannot be read through quickly. I have been working on it for several months and have only made it through the first 4 chakras. It has been a true healing experience, bringing to light the causes of many physical and emotional problems I've experienced and helping me to work through them. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Caorline Myss fans will love this book!, Oct. 2 1999
By A Customer
Caroline Myss fans will love this book. The simple presentation offers a realistic method of getting in touch with the mind, body and spirit in order to bring balance and fluidity to one's energy system. You will be amazed at how this book can foster self-awareness, positive emotions, and incredible insights. If you are living in the upper chakras, this book will ground you and help balance you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chakra Enlightenment Simplified, May 20 2001
This is a great starting book if you are like myself that had heard the term, "Chakra" but didn't know too much about it.
I had recently gone to a psychic faire and heard that my 3rd chakra was out of balance, and not knowing much more than that, got this book, and I am pursuing right now how to bring it more into balance.
Very insightful and easy to read. I read about all the various chakra's and then I am really tuning into the third one to see what can be done, to make mine functioning more fully. So this book can be used on a single focus or for general learning of the entire body system.

2.0 out of 5 stars New Age, New Age, New Age. . ., Oct. 25 2002
WDMax "wdmax" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I began to read this book and put it away thinking that I was having a bad day and was not open and receptive. A few weeks later I picked it up again and continued to read it hoping that I might be open to its message. Again, I was not impressed on my second attempt although I felt a bit more open than on my first reading. I am not an expert in chakras but I am doing a good deal of reading in the subject lately. What I am learning is that chakras in the west are predominately cloaked in "New Age rhetoric" and chakras from the east (India, Vedic, Yoga) are centered in reality, not real (tangible), but real (cultural). If you are comfortable in the "New Age", then this book is for you. You will find the terminology and phrases right in line with typical "New Age" subject matter. If you are looking for a real (cultural) definition and or therapy you might want to look elsewhere. Chakras are subtle energy pathways that are an intricate part of Yoga practice (Yoga in its entirety).
This book has its place and there are those that will find the information and exercises helpful, I was not one of them. I have been interested in eastern philosophy for many years and find that the truth lies at the source, not in the west. We westerners have a bad habit of interpreting eastern philosophy and culture without truly understanding it. The New Age takes the bits and pieces and try to make sense out of it or create something altogether different. There is no quick western "New Age" way to remove what ails you. Your answers lie in the East and they will take time, knowledge, and practice. Thanks for reading my review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective Guide Through Your Inner Journey, Sept. 10 2013
Judith provides the map and meaning of the symbols to find your way inward in this self-help book. I highly recommend this book for anyone wishing to look more deeply into their past as a basis for understanding their present & looking forward.

The Sevenfold Journey: Reclaiming Mind, Body and Spirit Through the Chakras