5.0 out of 5 stars This Book is For Everybody

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really saying anything new
Published on Nov. 30 2001 by mp541

5.0 out of 5 stars This Book is For Everybody, Dec 12 2002
This review is from: Feminism Is for Everybody: Passionate Politics (Paperback)
This is the best "primer" to feminism that I've ever read. It's a great read for people who know nothing about feminism or who are only familiar with mainstream society's myths about feminism, because it offers a concise and easy to understand history of the movement. hooks also clears up misunderstanding on the definitions of the terms feminist and feminism. She touches on problems within the movement and where we're at now. I also think this is an excellent book for seasoned feminists to have on hand. For one thing, you can find the quotes and passages you're looking for with ease...and it also helps to have read a book that you should be suggesting to those new to feminism.
Finally, I disagree with the reviewer who said this book is only for the "fringe" because hooks points out "our feminist pioneers [were] privileged, educated white women." Um...THEY WERE for the most part. If you're looking for a whitewashed version of the history of feminism then this book isn't for you. Like the feminist movement itself, this book cannot address sex and gender without also addressing race and class. Also, nowhere in the book does hooks imply that housewives are excluded from feminism. The book actually touches on the fact that most of the work done by women (including especially unpaid domestic labor) is still unpaid and undervalued in this society.
The amazing thing about this book is that hooks is able to compress so much information into such an easy and interesting read. You won't put it down except maybe to get your hi-liter.

5.0 out of 5 stars bell hooks rocks- and so does her book, Sept. 17 2001
Book Reader "fiandacafiandaca" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Feminism Is for Everybody: Passionate Politics (Paperback)
Feminism is for Everybody is a great book for third wave generation feminists. Most young feminists of today don't know the history of feminism that bell hooks recounts in this book. bell hooks explains how the current feminist movement lacks a strong sense of sisterhood, and one reason for that is our lack of participation in consciousness raising groups. We need safe, sacred space in which to work out our internalized sexism. We need to learn about feminism outside of the classroom as well as inside it. We need to come together across the lines of race, class, and education, and demand a revolution.
hooks also dicusses some of the differences between "reform" feminism and "revolutionary" feminism, and why knowing about the distinction is so important. That helped me to understand one reason why today's feminism seems to exclude women of color and poor women so much.
I highly recommend hooks' book for women (and men) who are new to feminism and to those who've been involved in the movement for a while. I think she has some excellent and important things to teach us about our movement and where it needs to go.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for a beginner, Dec 27 2003
"lejentle" (Pleasant Grove, UT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Feminism Is for Everybody: Passionate Politics (Paperback)
In "Feminism is for EVERYBODY", Hooks skims over her ideas, current topics and past writings. I think this is a fine book for someone who is ignorant to feminism or a an individual who is interested in Hooks.
The introduction was my favorite part. How she states that as soon as she mentions the word "feminist" without fail, people get shifty and uncomfortable and talk about how crazy feminists are, how manhating, butch like, etc. Then go on to say she must not be like those "wierd feminists". When in reality, most people have no idea what feminism is, which is why she wrote this.
The only reason why I would not recommend this book to anyone is my own personal bias and opinions. I do not agree with everything she has written. However, her writing is easy to read and she writes in a way to entice everyone. She is kind and open, not aggressive and rude, but still assertive and gets her point across. She is also wise to not attack men, instead she attacks the patriarch, because that is a way of believing, it is not a sexuality, and that is what needs to be brought down.
Like I stated, it's compelling and easy to read, it's short and almost anyone can relate to it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction to bell hooks, Aug. 22 2001
titilayo (Barbados, West Indies) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Feminism Is for Everybody: Passionate Politics (Paperback)
This book is a good introduction to bell hooks' feminist critique and thinking. Having read others of her books and been intrigued and challenged by her ideas, I found that this book presented some of her concepts and philosophies in a simple, readable way. The book consists of several concise chapters, each covering a specific topic -- including spirituality, anti-violence movements, female beauty standards, male feminists, love, child-rearing, and many others. Whether or not you agree with what hooks says, this book is an excellent way to get and idea of what she is all about.

5.0 out of 5 stars bell rocks!!!, Oct. 28 2010
M. Weedmark (Ontario CANADA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Feminism Is for Everybody: Passionate Politics (Paperback)
This is an awesome book for young women and young men to help them gain and understanding of how complex feminism is, and at the same time, how simple it is to understand, interspersed with compassion and empathy for ALL humanity. It isn't harsh like Lee Maracle's initial book on feminism "I am Woman" (which is also an excellent book for a native perspective on feminism). There are as many types and styles of feminism as there are women. bell rocks!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for Everybody, Sept. 22 2002
This review is from: Feminism Is for Everybody: Passionate Politics (Paperback)
bell hooks has provided an insightful, intellectual look at feminism that is approachable and accessible. hooks gives us hope of living in a world where we all can be free --- free of bigotry, racism, sexism, classism, and homophobia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interested in feminism?, May 17 2002
E. Davis - See all my reviews
This review is from: Feminism Is for Everybody: Passionate Politics (Paperback)
A well-rounded starter for anyone interested in true, historical feminism. I say "true" because it seems there are more and more pop culture books with a "feminist" or "grrrl" theme to them. I hope that all young woman (or all women) will come across this book for the real story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really saying anything new, Nov. 30 2001
This review is from: Feminism Is for Everybody: Passionate Politics (Paperback)
I have always admired and respected the formidable intelligence of bell hooks. I have read her books since Ain't I A Woman when I was still a sophomore in college. While I don't agree with everything she says I feel her vision is quite insightful, but Feminism for Everybody is just recycled rhetoric, which has been a pattern of her books as of late. I feel this book is like every other book she has done, saying the same old things without any new insight or enlightenment. The one thing I notice is that for all her suggestions she never has a concise game plan on how to solve things based on her theory, although when she does criticism she is the first to write of other authors who don't share any type of solutions based on their rhetoric.
This book is good for people who are ignorant and have a fear about feminism. It is a good introductory book, but if you're a seasoned reader, or activist I suggest you move on to something more substantial.

2.0 out of 5 stars Feminism Is For Everybody except........., Aug. 1 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Feminism Is for Everybody: Passionate Politics (Paperback)
As a life long feminist, I have always espoused that feminism is about inclusion. This book opposes that belief. The title would lead one to beleive that Ms. Hooks feels the movement of feminism should include people from all walks of life.That is not what you will discover. She refers to our feminist pioneers as "priveledged, educated white woman", and feels fit to use the term "housewives" throughout her book to describe woman(mothers) who do not work outside of the home.I haven't heard anyone use that term seriously for a couple of decades. Apparently these two categories of women are not fit to wear the "feminist" label.
The background she provides for the early days of the feminist movement is educational for someone new to the movement. But, when all is said and done, she is a fringe feminist and one needs to understand that before reading this book. I found it somewhat difficult getting through this book with the numerous editorial errors!

5.0 out of 5 stars Important, thought-provoking, and appreciated, May 23 2001
This review is from: Feminism Is for Everybody: Passionate Politics (Paperback)
Bell Hooks (Distinguished Professor of English at City College, City University of New York) once against demonstrates her exceptional ability as a cultural critic in Feminism Is For Everybody: Passionate Politics. Hooks writes with her usual and persuasive candor on a wide ranging spectrum of personal, national, and international contemporary issues arising from feminist politics and the continuing struggle to create an equalitarian, unbiased future against the cultural barriers raised by patriarchal, racist, and homophobic attitudes, policies, and practices. Feminism Is For Everybody is still another important, thought-provoking, and appreciated contribution by Bell Hooks to feminist studies.

ARRAY(0xb0462864)

Feminism Is for Everybody: Passionate Politics
Feminism Is for Everybody: Passionate Politics by bell hooks (Paperback - Oct. 1 2000)
CDN$ 17.50 CDN$ 12.78