5.0 out of 5 stars Expertly Researched and Written
Published on June 8 2003 by G. Cynaumon

3.0 out of 5 stars Good stress info -- but all solutions are food supplements
Stress is bad for you. We all knew that, but Shawn Talbott explains some of the biochemistry of stress in layman's terms. After reading The Cortisol Connection, you will know WHY chronic stress is bad and what it's likely to do to you.
Published on Feb. 19 2004 by David Spero

5.0 out of 5 stars Expertly Researched and Written, June 8 2003
G. Cynaumon - See all my reviews
As a clinical psychologist, I've studied the subject of cortisol and how it affects weight loss and multiple other health-related aspects. Beyond a doubt, this is the definitive work on the subject. Dr. Talbott is ahead of the curve with his research and perspective. If, as a consumer, you are interested in the "facts" about cortisol and how it can help you to lose weight and maintain good health, this book is mandatory reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative and well writen book, April 20 2004
C. Holland (Salt Lake City, UT United States) - See all my reviews
My wife and I have two children under the age of three, we both work, eat mostly vegetarian and organic foods, and we exercise regularly, so you'd think we have a healthy lifestyle. Wrong. You know how much energy it takes just to find and pay for healthy foods and quality exercise venues for us and our children? After running across The Cortisol Connection, I discovered why we are so routinely frazzled. Dr. Talbott touches a topic that makes so much sense and was completely unknown to us. He offers detailed and definitive explanations as to why our stress levels are so high and how to combat them. I can definitely say that after utilizing some of his advice and supplement suggestions, we feel far less "stressed out" than we used to be. My wife has broken free of her afternoon sugar craving and has lost the 5-10 lbs of stubborn post-pregnancy chub. I highly recommend this book to anyone who feels stressed out by our "modern" way of life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good stress info -- but all solutions are food supplements, Feb. 19 2004
David Spero "David Spero RN" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Much of this has been covered better in other books about stress, such as Robert Sapolsky's Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers. What's new about Cortisol Connection is the strong evidence that stress makes you gain weight. It puts on fat and makes your cells resistant to insulin, which puts you at risk for diabetes.
I'm very interested in this, because I'm currently researching a new book called The Politics of Diabetes. (I should also admit that Hunter House, publisher of Cortisol Connection, also published my first book, The Art of Getting Well: Maximizing Health When You Have a Chronic Illness.) I found Talbott's work helpful.
What I did not find, though, was many good ideas for what to DO about stress. He mentions stress reduction and exercise, but he seems to believe these are not realistic goals for most of us in our fast-paced society. Nearly all his recommendations are for food supplements - vitamins, herbs, minerals, amino acids - over 50 in all. And he really doesn't prioritize among them. I still have no idea where to start with these supplements, which ones have strong supporting evidence and which don't.
I also found his reference list really aggravating. I like to check references, both to learn more and to confirm that the author is playing straight with the facts. Talbott combines all the references for the first five chapters (six pages of references) into one long list, without numbers. So there's no way to tell which reference goes with which paragraph or claim in the book. The supplements actually have many more references than the information on stress does.
So if you are inclined to seek health through supplements, this may be the stress book for you. If you don't like investigating supplement claims and prowling around health food stores, you can still get some good information about stress here, but that's about it.
David Spero RN, author of The Art of Getting Well, Maximizing Health When You Have a Chronic Illness. [...]

2.0 out of 5 stars The idea is valid, mostly, Aug. 16 2013
This review is from: The Cortisol Connection: Why Stress Makes You Fat and Ruins Your Health - And What You Can Do About It (Paperback)
The dieting ideas were outdated, but the info on how cortisol works was great. Talbott needs to revamp his advice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why a perfect diet doesn't always mean perfect results., Nov. 20 2003
As an owner of a metabolism and body composition lab, I have seen some people who just can't seem to get results equal to the efforts put forth. After chalking my own slow metabolism up to genetics, I had a major blood panel and hormone panel done. I found that my Cortisol level was very high and with some research I found this book. Wow! What an eye opener. Dr. Talbot explains exactly why stress will defeat your efforts with fat loss and even why your energy levels are zapped. He also has a sensible plan to manage it and get your body and health back on track.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cutting-Edge Theory Backed by Real Science, March 5 2003
As a researcher and author in the field of alternative health, I found this book is a leader in proposing and substantiating an important theory of disease and healing. Stress- it is almost impossible to escape in our busy lifestyles, and finally the firm link to how it is degrading our health has been revealed. Dr. Talbott has gift for pulling together hard science and condensing it into the bigger picture that is easy and fun to read. I recommend it for anyone who is interested in health, stress, and the mind/body connection. This book is responsible for a truely groundbreaking theory that will spawn much discussion among health-care professionals and enthusiasts alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Outstanding Book, Feb. 4 2003
Jon Stuart (Cambridge, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This is one of the most helpful books I have ever read. The author has the ability to explain cortisol and the risks of a chronically elevated cortisol level in layman's terms. Anyone who is struggling with stress, fatigue, or a problematic appetite must read this book. If you follow the book's advice, you will experience an amazing improvement in your quality of life.
The book is an informative resource on dozens of vitamins, minerals, and supplements. I also liked the helpful daily food plans in the appendix. But, I think the most important aspects of the book is the author's overall message: (1) chronically elevated cortisol levels result in numerous health and "enjoyment of life" problems, and could ultimately set the stage for disease; (2) chronically elevated cortisol levels and associated problems are completely avoidable with awareness and behavioral changes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read This Book!, Jan. 20 2003
Heidi Skolnik, MS, CDN, FACSM (Fort lee, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
GREAT BOOK! The Cortisol Connection can do a great deal to help you understand WHY cortisol-control is good for your long-term health, but also HOW to approach cortisol-control using diet and lifestyle. It makes a complicated topic easy to understand. As a nutritionist, I know that people who suffer from chronic stress often are also suffering from lifestyle related diseases (obseity, diabetes, hypertension, depession, and osteoporosis) which now may be linked to the detrimental effects of unhealthy cortisol levels. The Cortisol Connection gives details on diets, exercise and supplements that have been shown to control cortisol levels and promote optimal health (Dr. Talbott's SENSE program). If you have stress, you need this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, Nov. 19 2011
This book is an excellent introduction into cortisol and the health issues surrounding this hormone. I believe this book would be decent starting material for someone looking to improve their health.

I, however, am seeking high performance and optimal health and this book falls short in helping me to meet those. I feel that Talbott's dietary and exercise recommendations are filled with gaps and are pedestrian at best. Furthermore, Talbott lists a number of supplements and herbs that can be used to help control cortisol. While giving in-depth information about each one (which I don't feel is absolutely necessary - these can easily be found with an internet search) he gives little as to how to optimally use these recommendations.

Perhaps the best part of the book is the tips Talbott gives on stress management. I would have loved to see him expand in this area.

Overall, if you're just beginning to learn about cortisol, I can recommend this book. However, if you're already familiar with this hormone and the number of protocols in controlling it, I suggest you go elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars So, now what do I do????, May 31 2004
By A Customer
I knew that stress killed, but makes you fat too! Ouch! This book now shares space with all the mind/body/spirit books I use in counseling. Also check out Sarno's back pain books and "A More Excellent Way" by Henry Wright. These books will help you "Take your peace".

CDN$ 20.95
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available