5.0 out of 5 stars A Timeless Help

2.0 out of 5 stars CHANGING CAREERS? THERE ARE MUCH BETTER BOOKS
Published on Aug. 1 2000 by RobbieW

5.0 out of 5 stars A Timeless Help, March 7 2002
Kathryn P. Harper "Mindful One" (San Jose, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I owned various copies of this book many years ago but was not ready to tap into the potential I sensed it would release in me. Instead I pursued a long path toward education and training as a counselor, but then came to a threshold that I couldn't step over. Job stress prompted me recently to take vacation, and I spent many hours soul searching using this book. The various exercises led me to articulate my vision and renewed my energy to continue on a path I'd spent years pursuing. The result was a confirmation of what I intuitively knew about my vocation and increased confidence to act. The section on networking, researching, interviewing, and negotiating gives practical guidance. Lastly, the section on "finding one's mission in life" provides gentle discourse that accommodates and respects the reader who does not necessarily share the author's religion. Now that I have effectively used this guide, I plan to share the strategies in my new position as an employment specialist working with mentally ill adults. I am grateful to Mr. Bolles for his dedication to this work and for inspiring hope through his pragmatic optimism.

2.0 out of 5 stars CHANGING CAREERS? THERE ARE MUCH BETTER BOOKS, Aug. 1 2000
I am a career coach with eight years of experience working with people wanting a new career - a better fit with their talents, more meaningful, a better work environment. If you want to choose a career that will be very fulfilling as well as something you will be successful at, forget about "Parachute". It just doesn't have the depth and wisdom it takes to coach you through this most important life decision.
Another career counselor who reviewed "Parachute" recommended that you get two other books instead. I agree. They are "The Pathfinder: How to Choose or Change Your Career for a Lifetime of Satisfaction and Success" by Lore, and "Do What You Are" by Tieger. "The Pathfinder" is the best career decision book ever, the seminal text, the masterpiece on the subject - this is, if you are serious about having a great life and unwilling to put up with less. I also agree with the other reviewer that "Parachute" is a great job hunting book, but only if you know exactly what job you are looking for. Reading "Parachute" takes some of the fear and uncertainty out of job hunting. But if you are trying to decide what to do with your life, forget about "Parachute".

3.0 out of 5 stars THERE ARE BETTER CAREER CHANGE BOOKS, March 21 2003
By A Customer
Thinking of changing your career? Here are my suggestions. I am a professional, a former physician, who recently made a 90 degree career change after putting up with work I did not enjoy for many years. I managed to get through the two big problems career changers face : coming up with the courage to make the leap, and the BIG ONE, figuring our just what to do with my life. Now I'm in an exciting, new and different career and doing very well, thank you. I actually like going to work. I recently read this Po Bronson book to see what the experience of making a change was like for others.
If you are thinking about actually making a change, don't waste your money on this book. It is excellent for providing suggestions to job changers, but if your are seeking a more fulfilling career, forget it.
There are only two really excellent career change books. The first is called "The Pathfinder: How to Choose or Change Your Career for a Lifetime of Satisfaction and Success" This is the masterpiece guide to career change. It is a brilliantly written, in-depth guide to all aspects of deciding what to do with your life, and dealing with the courage question as well. I eventually decided to get further assistance designing my new career from the author's well respected career counseling organization, Rockport Institute, but I was a hard nut to crack. You may not need anything more than this book. The other book I recommend is "Do What You Are", a guide to which careers fit your personality. Though this is not really a complete "how to" book, it is very useful. Get these two books and you will be on your way to a more fulfilling life.
Buy "Parachute" only if you want a new job doing what you are doing now.

1.0 out of 5 stars Hopelessly outdated for 2003, July 30 2003
By A Customer
What can I say? This book is totally out of date. There are a few good pages woven in between chapters of useless and erroneous information. Read Don't Send a Resume insted...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book for all ages!, June 8 2004
Cathy "KCKat" (Des Moines, Iowa United States) - See all my reviews
This book is great for people of all ages! It really helps you find your niche in life by doing a little soul searching. I was able to identify my strengths and use them to get a job I love! This book should be a part of all high school and college graduates itinerary before going into the 'real' world. Thank you Mr. Bolles!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Job Search Book, May 12 2004
Joseph J. Slevin (Carlsbad, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Bolle's book is still timeless for job seekers of all kinds. I feel that his book updated each year to meet the current trends in society is critical. He needs to address those issues, like the web, downturn in the economy and the like.
The most critical part of the book is the self evaluation section. This is a very structured process that can be used intutitively as well. Bolles asks you to write a few stories about yourself, then, what did you like and dislike about those stories? What did you do well, where did you fail or feel challenged beyond your abilities? These are the critical areas of the book that take time to get through, yet you can evaluate yourself and understand what you like, it is what you do best, usually.
We excel what we are good at, according to Bolles, this method will help us discover what we are best at.
I have recommended this book to many over the years, and still do. Whether someone is in college, or someone is going through a long term transition after being in a job for a long time or moms returning to the work place, this book will be very instructive for you.
One of his processes is very simple asking you to compare who you would most like to talk with or groups of people you would rather relate with. This is a standard set of tests for some very expensive career consulting, he gives it to you for the price of his book and the time to self evaluate yourself. Then, he breaks down the possible job areas and skill sets related to these groups.
Again, a worthwhile journey for anyone not wanting to wander any longer in the world of work.
JOE SLEVIN
Job Coach

2.0 out of 5 stars My parachute deflated..., Sept. 2 2003
By A Customer
I was confused with this workbook from the second I started using it. I didn't find it helpful in the least.

4.0 out of 5 stars This Book Is A Good Start To Help You Find A Job You Love, Aug. 26 2003
By A Customer
I liked this book because Richard Nelson Bolles writes to the reader searching for a job in a manner that is friendly, and not at all demeaning or condescending. Let's face it, if you wanted a job you really wanted to have, one where when you got home and could not wait to get back to work the next day, and getting paid was only a part of your job, wouldn't that be a job that you could call a friendly job?
Bolles offers some very important advice. He writes in his book, (and I don't think there is anyone with their frontal lobes of their brain intact that would disagree), that the world of searching for a job is one we have come to cordially hate. If you are searching for just a job, this book is not for you. The methods used in the book bypass searching for a job in the newspaper, which according to Bolles is the LAST place an employer will advertise a job opening.
If you feel that this book has good ideas as I did, but you feel you need coaching and help in extracting the specifics of what your interests are, and how they would fit into your next job, I would recommend finding and hiring a career counselor that uses Bolles methods.
If you are miserable at your job, and dread coming to work, pick up this book, read it, and get as much information as you can about career counselors in your area so you can have as broad an amount of information as possible before making your next step towards hiring a career counselor. Bolles method is a process that takes time, but once you get the specifics of what you really like doing, it will propel you forward into your next job, and it will be like a light at the end of a long dark tunnel. Hang in there at your current job for as long as you can, until you know for certain that you found a job that you are comfortable with and know you love and will do your very best.

1.0 out of 5 stars For a complete career change, consider a different book, Aug. 12 2003
By A Customer
This book was not helpful for finding the right career, in a complete career change. I lothed the career I was in. This was the first career book I bought because of the recomendation of several people including a couple of career counselers. I believe people recommend this book because of its popularity and not its content. Finding the right career is not a quick and easy 1,2,3 process, it takes time and consideration. I believe this book makes it a bit more difficult than it has to be. I found this book wordy and lengthy; and it seems to have lots of useless information. The excersizes, while interesting, leave alot to be desired and they are a bit time comsuming. After getting fustrated with this book I bought a much more useful book called "I Don't Know What I Want, but I Know It's Not This".

5.0 out of 5 stars Can This Book (or Series) be Overrated?, July 30 2003
"acounseloreducator" (near Philadelphia, PA, USA) - See all my reviews
[Can This Book (or Series) be Overrated?] As a career & vocational counseling professional, my opinion is that it cannot. This book can be underutilized or misapplied, or a reader may want it to do something that it is not intended to do. (What book can be useful for everyone?) It provides no miracle path to a new or changed career. Nor does it state education or experience is neither helpful nor necessary. (And neither is it saturated with the author's faith beliefs; but some take issue with any mention of beliefs outside their own....) If one already knows the information in this work, of course it will be less useful.
What Bolles does is (continue to) provide information and a way of thinking about one's work life in ways many people do not. What we term transferable job skills are frequently overlooked by career-changers, and this book is especially helpful in this area. The reader is encouraged to explore who they are now - not who they were (which might be why they are not in s job they like.) Most helpful are the various exercises. But, one must put some effort into doing them for the book to be a benefit. This can be a challenge, but is worth the effort.

ARRAY(0xa009b864)

What Color Is Your Parachute? 1995: A Practical Manual for Job Hunters and Career Changers
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.27