5.0 out of 5 stars This is how to begin., Aug. 11 2003
This review is from: Creating Poetry (Hardcover)
Many of us feel an inexplicable upwelling of emotions that long to become a poem but have no knowledge of how to use words to convey either an essence or a slam-up description of the experience. How can we begin to put pen to paper, let alone belly up to the mic at a poetry slam, without this knowledge? This book is how. It covers everything from meter to free verse and how it is used. It explains rhythms, movement, creating a pattern and a point of view and much more. This book includes practices and comparisons, and reading suggestions for seminal anthologies, magazines, and dictionaries. This is information I have not found in my local library...no matter where I've lived.
If you've got a poet in there trying to get out...set him or her free with this book. My own bad poetry has already improved in voice and rhythm. My poet is shaking, but finally free.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, Dec 12 2001
Katina Lewis "Freelance Writer" (Bremen, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Creating Poetry (Hardcover)
This book was an excellently written. I loved the exercises given. They were extremely helpful to beginner and professional poet alike. I recommend this book to everyone. Even non-poets who are looking to expand their creativity.
There is enough background information as well given for the form poetry. I found that helpful and informative.
There were so many poem exercises that I will be doing them for years to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars A helpful guide . . ., March 9 2000
This review is from: Creating Poetry (Hardcover)
. . . for those who wish to learn more about the poetic ways of writing. John Drury has provided straight forward text diving into the creative steps of writing poetry for the novice and expert. Most poets would like to think of themselves as experts, but in most cases they are not. I think adding this publication to your library would certainly help in that venture.

ARRAY(0xb3ad05c4)

Creating Poetry
Creating Poetry by John Drury (Hardcover - May 15 1991)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.10