4.0 out of 5 stars Great Information, June 26 2004
This review is from: You Can Write Children's Books (Paperback)
I found this book very helpful in outlining the begining to end steps of writing, as well as submitting, stories for children. It is written in a layman's easy-to-absorb manner & lays everything out for the reader step by step. It is also very encouraging along the way!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, May 22 2003
L. King "isabow" (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Can Write Children's Books (Paperback)
The book has some really well thought-out entries and some excellent resource material. Of course, as with any reference book, this book will be out-dated in a year or so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, May 22 2003
L. King "isabow" (Atlanta, GA) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional!, March 12 2002
Paula (Elko, Nv USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Can Write Children's Books (Paperback)
For a beginning writer of this type of genre, I found the book informational. It gives different categories for types of children's books and hints on how to write for that particular genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Books on Writing I've Ever Read, Sept. 11 2001
Imperial Topaz (Marrakesh, Morocco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Can Write Children's Books (Paperback)
I have read about 50 different books on writing, and I'd put this one in the top 3. Tracey Dills REALLY knows what she is talking about, and I would really like to thank her for writing this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars The urge to get started., April 15 2001
Atheen M. Wilson "Atheen" (Mpls, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You Can Write Children's Books (Paperback)
I have often thought about writing children's books and bought Tracey Dils' book "You Can Write Children's Books" because I thought it might help me to do that. On first exposure it seemed that all it did was make me feel disinclined to do any such thing. On second reading, it made me more realistic about the venture. What I believe it definitely does is provide one with the necessary basics for writing books for a younger audience: professional style and technique, selection of appropriate venue, cover letters, submission formats, etc. It also helps one define just what type of book one would like to write by providing one with thematic writing exercises and self-examination questions.
I was a non-reader until well into the 4th grade when my teacher began to read to the class. Until that time I had been totally underwhelmed by the contents of most of my readers. Frankly I could have cared less about Dick and Jane. In that one year I went from the simple books designed for 4th graders to "Queen Elizabeth and the Spanish Armada," a junior high level book. The key had been INTEREST! Through the efforts of this one teacher, I learned the crucial fact that there were books out there about topics that interested me personally.
Knowing how I felt as a child learning to read, I will probably try my hand at composing books on subjects that help younger readers develop their interests. It would certainly be a good way for me to use some of the education I've acquired over the years. It will also give me a good reason to research new topics. I may not be successful at getting myself into print, but I bet I have a good time trying. Thank you Miss Dils.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for the beginner, April 23 2000
This review is from: You Can Write Children's Books (Paperback)
This is an excellent book for beginners. It gives an accurate overview of the process of writing children books. The language is very conversational and not too academic which makes it easier to grasp her concepts. In the appendix she list some great resources that would be benefical to any writer--whether beginner or pro.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction to a complex subject, Jan. 14 2000
This review is from: You Can Write Children's Books (Paperback)
Tracey Dils manages to answer most of the questions a beginning children's author asks. Aspiring authors who carefully follow her suggestions will save a lot of time and frustration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leaves nothing to the imagination, very concise, Oct. 4 1999
This review is from: You Can Write Children's Books (Paperback)
The author explains, step by step, all the ins and outs of writing childrens books. I,m especially happy with the list of organizations and groups for professional writers. This would have taken me months to ferret out. I have already started my first book thanks to Tracy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book for beginning children's writers, Aug. 6 1998
This review is from: You Can Write Children's Books (Paperback)
Tracey Dils takes a complex subject and breaks it down into manageable bites. While she doesn't go into great depth, she covers the chlidren's book market in detail. Her exercises lead writers from the first inklings of ideas to finding a publisher. I'd recommend this as the first book for anyone aspiring to write for children.

You Can Write Children's Books
You Can Write Children's Books by Tracey Dils (Paperback - Feb. 15 1998)
CDN$ 14.25 CDN$ 12.83