5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, systematic way to teach children the Faith

Published on July 23 2009 by E. Goertz

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Guide!, May 6 2004
J. P. Meyers "Movie Fan" (Guam, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saint Joseph Baltimore Catechism (No. 2) (Paperback)
I first bought this book because it was so cheap and also that one of my bible study friends in college had it, and we used it occasionally to answer theological questions we came up with. When I joined a different bible study group I started bringing it to those meetings, and it helped us to answer questions a lot, especially with a lot of curious, non-Catholics in the group.
The formula is simple: the writer asks a question on anything from marriage to the afterlife, and then explains the answer in clear, easy to read terms. I was able to read through the whole book in one night, and it continued to hold my interest the entire time. The pictures, though somewhat outdated, do provide relief from the text and occasionally aid in explaining it.
I continue to use it as my girlfriend and I seriously consider marriage - it helps to answer our questions on the theology side of marriage.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, systematic way to teach children the Faith, March 14 2004
Rich Leonardi (Cincinnati, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saint Joseph Baltimore Catechism (No. 2) (Paperback)
Though often dismissed as "pre-Vatican II" and therefore obsolete, the New Saint Joseph Baltimore Catechism is a terrific way to teach children the Faith. Since the book covers basics like Creed, Commandments, Sacraments and Prayer, the fact that it's pre-conciliar is largely irrelevant. When was the last time you discussed the nuances of Lumen Gentium with an eight year old?
Each of the thirty seven chapters covers a topic like "Trinity", "the Eucharist" or "Incarnation" with a reading from Scripture, an explanation of that reading, a Q&A "catechism" and then a series of questions on what the student has just learned. The chapters are about four pages long, so they are perfect for reading to children nightly.
(Parents can brush up on their own catechesis by reading the Catechism of the Catholic Church and reflecting on how its passages elaborate on what is contained in the Baltimore Catechism.)
Book no. 1 is ideal for first through third graders, while the three subsequent volumes are useful for instructing older children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Catholic Educators This is a Must, April 19 2002
Joann Fantina "Three Nephews" (Bernardsville, NJ, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saint Joseph Baltimore Catechism (No. 2) (Paperback)
It is great to see this book is available again. Some
of the most basic Catholic Teachings seem to get left
behind in todays - social service age - this brings
back the basics of Catholic Religious education. Great for recent converts who need specific details. Great reference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some things should NEVER change, March 21 2001
NYJ (Atlantic Coast, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saint Joseph Baltimore Catechism (No. 2) (Paperback)
Such as dogma and doctrine of the Faith. And we see this mentality reflected in the Baltimore Catechism. While "outdated" in the sense that this book was compiled before Vatican II, which was almost 4 decades ago, this book is still entirely relevant for Catholics today. The book is assembled as a series of questions and answers to a number of matters as it pertains to the faith of Catholic Christians. This is the second book, which is targetted to children from middle school and up. I am an adult (i.e.: over 18) and I still enjoy reading this Catechism. The answers are simple and straightforward, and I've found that working as a catechist (R.C.I.A. - Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) that this book becomes a wonderful resource. In addition, since this book has not been modified post-Vatican II, this is a favorite resource of traditionalist Catholics. Overall, I think the book is a good resource for Catholics, the pictures break up what could be tedious reading (sorting through Q&A) otherwise and add a unique "flavor" to this book that it would not otherwise have.

1.0 out of 5 stars Baltimore Catechism #2, July 23 2009
E. Goertz - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saint Joseph Baltimore Catechism (No. 2) (Paperback)
I find it very strange that my review didn't make it. LOL Not surprising though since any negative reviews, like NOT receiving what I ordered did NOT arrive. The seller still wants to know what I THINK of their service. Yet I receive continual e-mails asking me for review on the product. Amazon.ca has a habit of messing up peoples accounts because I can order anything through the U.S. affiliate and never have a problem. Heck just last weekend I ordered a book sent it to a friend in the U.S. and he had it in less than two days. Don't happen here.

Either get your act together or I take my business elsewhere.

Saint Joseph Baltimore Catechism (No. 2)
Saint Joseph Baltimore Catechism (No. 2) by Bennet Kelley (Paperback - March 1 1991)
CDN$ 6.46