5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book
Published on Nov. 8 2003 by Elizabeth Pantley author The N...

3.0 out of 5 stars Cold hard facts?
My son is 13 months old, and has always been an enthusiastic, active (perhaps gymnastic is a better word) nurser. His first year of life had a few rough spots, but was mostly pretty hassle free. Since I now realize that some good facts would have stood me in good stead in that first year, I was hoping to head off any problems for the second year by reading this book...
Published on March 6 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, Nov. 8 2003
This review is from: Mothering Your Nursing Toddler (Paperback)
I nursed all four of my children as toddlers and delight in recommending this nurturing book. While long-term breastfeeding becomes more popular in the US, Europe and Canada, there is still some confusion and unease about the topic. This book provides a reassuring nod to all mothers who are breastfeeding their toddlers. Filled with practical tips, real-life stories, quotes from experienced mothers and glorious photos, it is a joy to read.
Handy pointers about typical toddler-feeding issues such as that annoying twiddling, handling your child's verbal public request to nurse, dealing with critics, night-nursing and weaning.
If you currently are nursing your toddler, or if you are considering the journey, this book is worth owning. I have included a recommendation for it in my new book, Gentle Baby Care: Essential Tips for Raising Your Baby.
-- Elizabeth Pantley, author of The No-Cry Sleep Solution.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good - about the process of child-led weaning, April 12 2001
J. Albanezewalker (Westfield NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mothering Your Nursing Toddler (Paperback)
Clearly written, referenced book discusses child-led weaning, which typically means nursing past the first or even second birthday. Reinforced my own feelings that I should listen to my child and let him decide how long he needs to nurse. The book discusses cultural and historic practices about nursing and weaning (human children were nursed well past their second birthday for thousands of years before the advent of formula). It is an emotional and supportive read. I would give it 5 stars if the author was more supportive of working moms - I work FT and my son has never had a bottle - my company is very flexible. What is needed is a discourse for working moms who continue to nurse and must work in a place that is not nursing-friendly. We all strive to be good moms, whether we work in or outside the home. I would like to see this excellent author better address issues on how to manage nursing one's toddler while working either FT or PT, as well as managing/balancing home life - this is reality for so many women.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Helpful Book!, Sept. 24 2000
This review is from: Mothering Your Nursing Toddler (Paperback)
I read the first edition of this book when my daughter was about 8 months old and it helped me make the decision that it would be OK to keep nursing her past 12 months if I wanted to. I re-read the first edition when she was about 14 months old for practical advice and reassurance. I have since purchased the new edition [which is even better!], and I've returned to it many times over the last year. I've used it as a reference whenever I had a question, and I just recently re-read the whole thing as my daughter's second birthday began to approach. I've certainly gotten my money's worth out of this book and I recommend it to any mother who is contemplating nursing past the first birthday.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent resource for nursing moms, Aug. 16 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Mothering Your Nursing Toddler (Paperback)
As other reviewers have written, this is a compassionate, informative and inspired book supporting the nursing relationship between mother and child. Our culture puts a lot of pressure on the family to create "independent" children. Often this means mothers are told that sleeping with their children, holding their children, and nursing on demand is actually harmful to them. Even committed nursing moms sometimes find themselves questioning their choices when faced with criticism from family or strangers. How refreshing to find a book that shows the *rightness* of a hands-on approach to child rearing.
No psychobabble here! The book is a fun read, based upon the testamony of 1000 nursing couples as well as the author's own experience. Some of the things toddlers have to say about the subject are simply priceless, and the little cartoons will bring a knowing smile to any nursing mom's face. I found this book not only to be a wonderful resource on nursing but on parenting as well. Any woman nursing a child or contemplating nursing a child will find this book helpful and heart-warming.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST EBF book so far!, June 17 2002
This review is from: Mothering Your Nursing Toddler (Paperback)
I have done a lot of research and reading about extended breastfeeding, but this book by far has been the most informative. It incorporates the ideas and principles behind attachment parenting as well. I've also used it to help other mama's! It's simply the best!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good pat on the back, Nov. 14 2001
"maryoh" (Nara-shi, Nara-ken Japan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mothering Your Nursing Toddler (Paperback)
Living as I do far from support groups, I found this book helpful in combating the feeling of being alone. It was great to hear other mother's stories--not just the good, but the troubles and difficulties as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars And you thought you were the only one..., June 16 2001
"apmom" (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mothering Your Nursing Toddler (Paperback)
This book is a must-have for any mother who is still nursing their child past the first year (or thinking about it). If you ever had any hesitations about extended breastfeeding, this book will show you why you should feel good about your decision to continue nursing your child. The author answers all of your questions about the how, why, and when of extended breastfeeding.
This book covers every imaginable topic, including sexuality while nursing, family pressure, tandem nursing, and weaning. The information is very easy to read, and more importantly, it lets you know that you are not alone. Whether your nursing child is 1, 2, 3, or older, this book addresses all of your concerns and questions in a very supportive and informative way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful meditation on motherhood, March 22 2001
J. Kalina (Millburn NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mothering Your Nursing Toddler (Paperback)
As a mom of a 2-yr old nursling, I find myself going back again and again to re-read this lovely book. Raising a toddler is difficult and everyone has to find their own path. Thus, this book doesn't provide the kind of universal "answer" many people are looking for. What is does provide is the support and environment for moms to explore their own parenting.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must-read for all breastfeeding mothers!, March 18 2000
Patty MB "Book Addict" (Missouri - United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mothering Your Nursing Toddler (Paperback)
how wonderful - a book that reinforces the need to breastfeed beyond the typical few weeks or months that most American mothers nurse. i loved this book and am recommending it to ALL of my breastfeeding friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly an inspiration!!!, June 29 2011
This review is from: Mothering Your Nursing Toddler (Paperback)
While I was pregnant, breastfeeding was not something I was looking forward to. It seemed weird to me. Along came baby and I had a wonderful time breastfeeding her. Around 6 months old, I bought this book and it has really inspired me to breastfeed her until she is 12 months old.

My daughter will be 2 years old next month and I am still breastfeeding her. The second year of breastfeeding has really been the best. She does it now because she WANTS and not because she HAS to and it is the greatest feeling in the world when your walking toddler comes up to you and asks for "nee-nee, mommy!" :)

When you feel like others are judging you, read this book and you will see that those who judge are the less educated ones. We are doing what is best for our babies and we (as mothers) know what is better for them - not the other way around!

Keep up the good work to all breastfeeding mothers!

ARRAY(0xb01cae4c)

Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
Mothering Your Nursing Toddler by Norma Jane Bumgarner (Paperback - Jan. 1 2000)
CDN$ 10.92 CDN$ 10.36