5.0 out of 5 stars Touchstone for extended nurses
no, this book doesnt tell you how to wean your child.
no, book doesnt tell you it is OK to wean for X, Y or Z reason.
What the book does do is tell you it is normal to nurse. Nurse into toddlerhood and even into preschool years.
Published on Nov. 4 2003 by kpks

3.0 out of 5 stars BabyLounge.com gave How Weaning Happens 3-pacifiers
Knowing how and when to wean your baby from nursing can be a difficult and emotional experience. Reading How Weaning Happens, published by La Leche League, can be of great assistance.
Published on June 13 2001 by Vicky Collins

3.0 out of 5 stars BabyLounge.com gave How Weaning Happens 3-pacifiers, June 13 2001
This review is from: How Weaning Happens (Paperback)
This book is written from a pro-nursing perspective and is more of a primer about why you should continue nursing book, than it is a "how to wean" guide. If you know that before you purchase the book, then you probably won't be disappointed.
The book is broken down into helpful chapters, such as thinking about weaning, stories of natural weaning, weaning because of medical advice, and gently encouraging weaning, just to name a few.
Throughout each of the chapters there are a number of mini-stories, written by real mothers who share their personal experiences, of how they weaned or, in some cases how they decided not to wean.
How Weaning Happens is a book that is best suited for a mother who is not sure if she is ready to wean, and is looking for support to continue breastfeeding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touchstone for extended nurses, Nov. 4 2003
"kpks" (Irving, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Weaning Happens (Paperback)
no, this book doesnt tell you how to wean your child.
no, book doesnt tell you it is OK to wean for X, Y or Z reason.
My son is nearly 19 months and I am still nursing him. This book is a reassurance for me. It helps to know I am not alone and that my son (or me) is not weird. It reinforces the idea forcing him wean is not going to make him eat more or become independent. It convinces me weaning him for such reasons will surely backfire.
This books strength is its anecdotes. It is heartwarming to read about the struggles and truimphs of other nursing pairs. The diversity of experience is also reassuring. Every nursing pair is unique. The only thing to remember is to savour the few years the child does nurse.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book to help you form your OWN opinion, March 24 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: How Weaning Happens (Paperback)
I am nursing a toddler, and faced a lot of pressure to stop nursing from my mother-in-law and even from my son's preschool. I was surprised that many people viewed extended breastfeeding (after one year of age) as an "aternative" life style, much like gay/lesbian marriages. I find that the overwhelming attitude towards extended breastfeeding in the US is quite negative if not hostile, so I think it is good to have an agressive pro-breastfeeding publication like this one to balance it out.
Of course, La Leche League is pro-breastfeeding and is not going to advise to stop nursing. But, I don't think nursing and weaning is something you could buy a "do-it-yourself" book for and simply follow it. This is mother/child relationship we are talking about here, not a bookshelf. I wouldn't let ANY book substitute for my own opinion, or tell me what to do. "How Weaning Happens" was a great read, and made me feel like I was not the only one in the US nursing a toddler. That alone was invaluable. Other than that, it simply added to my knowledge on the subject and helped me form my own strategy on weaning. You don't need to agree with the approach the book suggests, but I highly advise it as a coutnerbalancing opinion to the predominantly negative view of extended breastfeeding.

2.0 out of 5 stars How whaning happens, June 13 2001
Maura Parsons (Redding, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Weaning Happens (Paperback)
If the purpose for purchasing this book is to wean you child in the least troumatic way, for whatever reason, do not bother. You will only learn how not to wean. But if you don't really have to wean, you might feel stronger about continueing nursing. After 25 months of nursing I have so many reasons to wean I can't even beging to list them. I don't think La Leche Legue will ever help anyone wean. It would be like a catholic preaching buddism. I read much more practical suggestions in "What to expect the toddler years"

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Comforting Guide for Breastfeeding Moms, Sept. 24 2000
This review is from: How Weaning Happens (Paperback)
This book is great! Its easy to read and very interesting [and a pretty quick read]. As a mother who has made the choice to continue to breastfeed past the first 12 months of my daughter's life, it was really reassuring to find a book like this. It gave me very practical information on how to decide when to wean and great ideas on how to achieve weaning when the time comes. I also really enjoyed reading the stories of many other mothers and babies and how they achieved weaning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique book on the child-led/natural weaning process, Jan. 23 2000
ChristineMM (Houston Texas USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Weaning Happens (Paperback)
Wonderful book whose focus is allowing the toddler to determine when he wants to wean, which is also termed "child-led" weaning. Explains benefits of toddler nursing and how the toddler does stop nursing when the NEED to nurse is no longer present! Many stories and quotes from mothers who have "been there and done that"--something that I especially like. Easy to read and informative. Nice for mothers who nurse a toddler, such as myself, to read what may be in store for us in the future and wonder how the weaning process may go for us when that day comes. I learned that every toddler weans in a different way. Great book on subject material that is hard to come by despite the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendations that breastfeeding should continue until at least 12 months of age and beyond so long as mutually desirable by mother and child.

2.0 out of 5 stars How whaning happens, June 13 2001
Maura Parsons (Redding, CA USA) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars it made me cry, June 23 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: How Weaning Happens (Paperback)
It made me cry, all of the beautiful weaning stories. I am nursing my 21 month old girl and purchased the book for some advice. Factual encouragement as to the benefits of nursing a toddler and tips to help you wean a toddler or a baby of any age. It offers 3 different types of weaning and is very positive. A great read for any nursing mother. I have shared it with my friends and family. If your family is asking you why you are still nursing - give them this book to skim through!!

5.0 out of 5 stars an EXCELLENT book about weaning....every mom should own this, Sept. 4 2000
Patty MB "Book Addict" (Missouri - United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Weaning Happens (Paperback)
I loved this book! It put the breastfeeding and weaning relationships into perspective for me. Breastfeeding my child isn't something that can stop overnight, nor should it. Weaning is a process, a natural and loving one and we are going for a child-led weaning. My toddler is now 15 months old and we are very happy to be a breastfeeding family. Thanks to this book, I have support and documentation to prove that it's the best thing - still!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good support for those interested in extended nursing, March 1 2006
This review is from: How Weaning Happens (Paperback)
Let me emphasize that this book is not a how-to guide for those interested in parent-directed weaning. This book encourages child-directed weaning. It presents a number of scenarios in which weaning might be considered by either the mother or the child. Like any good LLL leader, the book provides passive support and avoids judging the reader's motivations.

How Weaning Happens
How Weaning Happens by Diane Bengson (Paperback - Jan. 1999)
Used & New from: CDN$ 18.83