5.0 out of 5 stars the Alpha and the Omega

Published on June 11 2002 by Nina

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars the Alpha and the Omega, March 21 2001
This review is from: The Rider-Waite Tarot Deck (Cards)
Things that are deeply touch people are the things that survive the test of time and are well known. The Mona Lisa, for example, is considered a pivotal piece of art and is universally recognized, even though there are thousands of portraits that are both more realistic and completely finished. Somehow, this piece resonates with people in some way so that it's appeal and visceral attraction never fades.
The same is true of the Rider Deck. As noted in other reviews, there are quite literally hundreds of decks ranging from everything from baseball to vampires to dragons to unicorns. Many people collect Tarot cards, but most everyone starts here with the Rider Deck. Indeed, of the hundreds of books published on the Tarot, almost every book I've seen for the beginner to the advanced uses the Rider deck as an example. Most decks are based in the symbolism of the Rider deck as well and if they don't work as well, it's because they've glossed over the symbolism so pivotal in the Rider.
Why, then has the Rider not only survived but evolved to be an archetype of the tarot itself? I think because it speaks to us and it's the easiest to understand even at a quick glance. The symbolism is so strong that the beginner can easily remember what any given card represents (no mean feat when there are 72 cards to remember and read!) The symbolism is also so detailed and deep that the advanced caster is always able to find deeper meaning, make more and more connections between cards during a casting.
Drawn almost like an illuminated manuscript in solid colors with clear, black outlines before the age of airbrush or computer 3D rendering, there is something timeless about it that connects us to it's rich and deep history. It's not flashy or zippy, but yet it's imagery is everywhere if we choose to look for it (didn't Led Zepplin even put the tarot of The Hermit on one of their album covers??)
While there's certainly nothing wrong with exploring other decks, the Rider-Waite is the perfect place for the beginner, ESPECIALLY because any good book on the tarot will use this very deck to explain the symbolism of the cards. Learn on the Rider, become proficient at it, then, if you like, branch out into something different like Egyptian tarot or the Halloween tarot (my other favorite for it's playful holiday symbolism). Beginning with a different deck and working with it right away will not be as satisfying or as easy to understand as the Rider. Like great art, it's timeless because it resonates with us in deep and profound ways. It may not have been the first, but in many ways, it may well be the BEST.

2.0 out of 5 stars average print quality, Sept. 20 2012
I own larger size Rider-Waite deck which is much higher in quality of paper, color. The smaller deck kind of dissappointed me, not that inspiring.

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK deck, June 11 2002
This review is from: The Rider-Waite Tarot Deck (Cards)
When I become interested in a subject, I research it. The Tarot is no different. I bought this as my first deck based on the reviews here at amazon, and in various books and online sources. The symbolism is very rich, but i found it incredibly difficult to read and interpret. The reason is a simple matter of personal aesthetics: the cards are ugly. Because I didn't like them, I fought them every step of the way. Because of the rich symbolism, this is a very good deck for a seasoned expert, or someone who likes to look at them, but they are definitely not for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars What you see is what you get, June 10 2014
This review is from: The Rider-Waite Tarot Deck (Cards)
Great practice deck, standard size with well rounded corners and sturdy lamination is it a big thumbs-up for me. Don't particularly like the plaid design on the top side of the card. Think it was a strange choice.
I give it four out of five stars because I do find the colors extraordinarily brash 8nd hyper saturated. But then again many people like that.

2.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunate shipping experience., May 29 2014
This review is from: The Rider-Waite Tarot Deck (Cards)
I ordered this item shortly before Christmas, and the delivery date said no later than Friday, December 20th. I was going to a party that same night, and this was part of the gift I was giving. I knew it was last minute, but I had never had problems with shipping from Amazon before so I went for it. Item didn't arrive until December 27th. It didn't even make it for Christmas. Very disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Time Tarot Cards, Dec 27 2013
This review is from: The Rider-Waite Tarot Deck (Cards)
These are great cards if you are just starting to work with Tarot cards. They are great for learning and are recommended by most tarot teachers.

5.0 out of 5 stars very original tarot card, Dec 8 2013
This review is from: The Rider-Waite Tarot Deck (Cards)
fast delivery,very original tarot card.My friend love it very much. also i has a very good quality, it looks very large, too. lol

5.0 out of 5 stars beginner tarot cards, Oct. 5 2013
This review is from: The Rider-Waite Tarot Deck (Cards)
This is a great set of cards for learning the tarot. Cards have a classic look to them and the accompanying book makes it pretty clear when exposing the cards.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleased but not exactly what I was looking for, July 22 2013
This review is from: The Rider-Waite Tarot Deck (Cards)
I am very happy to have this deck and though the images are quality are fantastic I was unhappy to find that they are covered in a gloss that makes the cards shine yes but also more difficult to handle and give them almost a fake feeling, as I prefer the matte finish where you can feel the texture of the paper in the cards. This deck is good and does have to license stamp on each card as well. Overall the deck is fine but was not exactly what I was looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, July 9 2013
This review is from: The Rider-Waite Tarot Deck (Cards)
I like the design of this Tarot Deck very much.
This is the one and only that I would choose.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Rider-Waite Tarot Deck
The Rider-Waite Tarot Deck by Arthur Edward Waite (Cards - Feb. 5 2009)
CDN$ 21.46 CDN$ 15.85