5.0 out of 5 stars Insights from a Reiki Master
Published on Aug. 15 2000 by Joy Cathcart

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly confusing, mostly lists...
Despite the thinness of the book, there was a great deal of information packed in to it, unfortunately mostly in the form of lists and correspondences.
It was effective as a reiki handbook in that it went over the 10 basic hand positions, talked about the history of reiki and the like, but I too found it short on practical information.
Each time I think of it, I...
Published on March 25 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Insights from a Reiki Master, Aug. 15 2000
Joy Cathcart (Grants Pass, Oregon, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Original Reiki Handbook of Dr. Mikao Usui (Paperback)
I became a Sacred Path Reiki Master in the Summer of 1999. After attaining Master level I started intensely reading and studying every book on Reiki and energy healing I could get my hands on in preperation to start teaching Reiki. January 2000 I received " The Original Reiki Handbook of Dr. Mikao Usui" as a gift from my husband. Since January I have been doing the meditations and breathing exercises in the book daily. My healing energy has increased by about 1000% and more. One day while meditating in my minds eye I saw a vision of a Japanese man carrying me. He laid me down and touched my forehead. I physically felt his hand and received a healing. Working daily with the healing techniques in this book gave me the extra training and focus I needed to set up my professional Reiki Practice. I highly recommend this book of all the Reiki books I've read this one is definitely the best. I give it 100 stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book Regardless of the Reiki Community's Opinion, June 9 2000
Marc S. Cwik (Las Vegas, NV USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Original Reiki Handbook of Dr. Mikao Usui (Paperback)
I was attuned to level I in December, 1999, and Level II in January, 2000. As I've been down my own personal journey of reiki and the reiki energy, I am absolutely appalled at the division in the reiki community, and the fight over the claimed oral tradition versus those who want reiki to be reduced to writing. GET OFF YOUR PEDESTALS ALREADY! Reiki is a gift that not only should, BUT MUST be shared with the world, as the world needs healing. This book is a huge step towards bringing the world towards healing. I have been experimenting with the hand techniques of Dr. Usui, whether or not the rest of the reiki community believes the book, and the results have been amazing. The "laser beam" technique the book describes took away pain I had in my abdomen in a matter of just 2 minutes, and prior to this experiment, my reiki was never that effective on myself. BUY THIS BOOK! IT IS A GREAT INVESTMENT AND WORTH EVERY PENNY. Don't listen to the members of the reiki community that want to keep reiki a secret from the world. Reiki is a pure energy, but the energy of these people is simply adding sickness to the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating Revelation of Dr. Usui's Practices, Feb. 26 2002
Alisha A. Henri (Chickamauga, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Original Reiki Handbook of Dr. Mikao Usui (Paperback)
Having read Mr. Petter's previous books, I find that "The Original Reiki Handbook of Dr. Mikao Usui" is the finest of them. The information is delivered clearly and concisely with exquisite photographs to demonstrate the practices the text reveals. One can easily understand and repeat the lessons originally used by Dr. Usui, and these are a marvelous adjunct to one's Reiki practice. For new inquirers about Reiki, the revelation of the true history of Reiki is as fascinating as the legend presented by the Western Reiki lineages. Mr. Petter is to be applauded for honoring Hawayo Takata, who brought Reiki to the western world. I have taught Reiki for 10 years and will use this book in my classes as a required text. It is hoped that, one day, the publishers will create an enlarged poster of the beautiful hand-placement photographs shown throughout the book and collected in the final pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Petter's best book to date!, June 3 2001
Terry Rogers (Gainesville, FL., USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Original Reiki Handbook of Dr. Mikao Usui (Paperback)
As a Reiki master, I am very interested in any new materials or information that is written about Reiki. Having read all of Mr. Petter's books on the subject, I am very pleased with this one!
The color photographs of the many hand positions are wonderful! He has made the information easy to understand and the techniques are all explained simply and thoroughly. I highly recommend this book to all of my Reiki students and anyone who is a practitioner.
I do agree with some reviewers who seem to feel that all of the information would be nice in one volume, rather than the 3 other earlier books that Mr. Petter has written on the subject.
I remember anxiously awaiting his earlier works after hearing about them and being a bit disappointed in their lack of information. It seemed that he was making the information available to the world in bits and pieces. Nevertheless, I appreciate his dedication to Reiki and making this information available to all of us! Thank you Mr. Petter! Bravo! This latest book is a great contribution to the Reiki community! I look forward to reading your next one, as well!

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 Stars for Usui's Part, 3 for Arjava Petter, March 27 2001
Amazon Customer "reikijoni" (Knoxville, TN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Original Reiki Handbook of Dr. Mikao Usui (Paperback)
I am a Reiki Master Teacher and believe that the wonderful information researched and shared by Frank Arjava Petter in The Original Reiki Handbook of Dr. Usui is extremely helpful, beautifully photographed, and interesting.
Dr. Usui's methods shared here are quite advanced and can enhance the effectiveness for someone who has practiced using Reiki and now wants to learn more. I believe that it would be a bit challenging for a novice to pick up this book and learn what they need to know to find out about basic Reiki. In my humble opinion, I believe that there are other more suitable books out there for beginners - Healing Reiki by Eleanor McKenzie is one.
This book should be a part of any serious Reiki practitioner's library. Frank Arjava Petter is doing all of us a great service by researching and sharing this information, and I, like the others, hunger for more information from Dr. Usui. Mr. Petter seems clearly sincere in his desire to share his work with us, however, I would prefer more from Dr. Usui and less from Mr. Petter in the commentary. I thank Mr. Petter for finding and passing along this very helpful and loving, healing information!

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly confusing, mostly lists..., March 25 2002
This review is from: The Original Reiki Handbook of Dr. Mikao Usui (Paperback)
Each time I think of it, I remember the picture of the patient sticking her tongue out and the reiki master with his (or her) finger in the patient's mouth!!! Blech!! While i understand that energy does travel quite quickly through the tongue in to the body, I don't think it very hygenic or safe to do that with a client. I would also balk if another master were to attempt such a maneuver on me.
All in all, this does cover the basics well despite the barrage of lists. It also covers the "crede", which you don't see on a lot of web sites, books, etc...it was nice to have it in full detail. It was also nice to see it written out in Japanese, as the symbols were very beautiful and graceful and made me feel more connected with it.
I can't give it four stars because after I read it originally I never took it off the shelf again. It isn't one that I turn to time and again for reference. In fact, I've been contemplating giving it to a friend who was curious, since I no longer have use for it. Still, in the very basic areas it does suffice, so I must give it a 3.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Original Reiki Handbook of Dr. Mikao Usui, May 1 2000
This review is from: The Original Reiki Handbook of Dr. Mikao Usui (Paperback)
The translation of Dr. Usui's Reiki handbook is a a very significant development for the Reiki community. At last we have proof that Reiki is not an oral tradition and that Dr. Usui gave out written material to all his students. I find the exercises to be useful and that my Reiki healing abilities have increased. The explainations and the insights about the origins of Reiki are also helpful. The color pictures of the hand positions Dr. Usui rcommends for various illnesses and conditions are wonderful. I have tried some of them and found them to work. I am very pleased that we now have such detailed information from the founder of the Usui system to use in our Reiki practices. Thank you Arjava and Chetna for taking the time to write this very important book.

5.0 out of 5 stars REIKI WORKS, June 28 2000
This review is from: The Original Reiki Handbook of Dr. Mikao Usui (Paperback)
I am a practicing Reiki Master. REIKI WORKS on me, myself, on my family, on my clients, bothdirectly and over distance. The refinements in hand positions that I have developed from reading (and rereading, and rereading) Frank Arjava Petter's book "The Original Reiki Handbook of Dr.Mikao Usui" have MATERIALLY improved the results I get. REIKI WORKS BETTER because of this book. Thank you Frank Arjava Petter. Thank you Dr. Usui.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended!, July 22 2001
This review is from: The Original Reiki Handbook of Dr. Mikao Usui (Paperback)
As a Reiki Master I couldn't be more pleased with all 3 of Frank Petter's books! As I was searching for information for my students, I became aware of his first book and have used his research as part of my own classes ever since. I had always felt there were missing links in the history of Usui, but until Mr. Petter took the bold step of publishing his findings, there was little information available. I have read many books on Reiki, and found most just center on the individual's experience but offered no substance other than interesting reading. I wanted to give my students a complete view of the roots of this healing art, and finding that Usui intended Reiki to also be a system of enlightenment only added to the value I found in these books. In my own practice I understand that Reiki, like water, flows into whatever container it is poured and flows out again to conform to another shape. In this way it is the same and yet ever changing. Frank Petter and all those who contributed to his research helped me find the answers. I recommend his books to all my students. They are inexpensive enough to fit into any budget as well as contain a wealth of history. In the spirit of Usui Reiki Ryoho, Love and Light to all of you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Usui's Handbook, Aug. 29 2000
Faith Cuthrell (Warrenton, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Original Reiki Handbook of Dr. Mikao Usui (Paperback)
I have all of Mr.Petter's books, which has indeed added to my knowledge of reiki and expanded my perception of Reiki as a whole.
While a nice book, this third one is a little skimpy on information. Seems we have to buy the next installment to learn more (sigh)
I do hope Mr. Petter combines all of these books into one Manual of Reiki at some point.
I also have researched other versions of Reiki in Japan (and have taken Reiki Ryoho classes), and there is a lot that complements what Mr.Petter is writing about. Different lineages;the wholeness with which Mrs Takata attempted to maintain reiki;verification of Usui's Buddhist beleifs;for some to ignore the growing mountain of evidence and say-none of this exists-is mind-boggling to me.
Keep writing Mr.Petter. But please-one volume is easier to use than 4 or 5 or 6....

The Original Reiki Handbook of Dr. Mikao Usui
The Original Reiki Handbook of Dr. Mikao Usui by Christine M. Grimm (Paperback - Jan. 3 1999)
CDN$ 15.95 CDN$ 11.64