Auto Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Cook All-New Kindle Paperwhite boutiques-francophones Music Deals Store Tools NFL

Getting Real: 10 Truth Skills You Need to Live an Authentic Life
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:$20.43+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 26, 2001
This book is one of the most important books I own. Susan gives us truly inspiring ways to communicate that keep us walking through our days with joy and the ability to honor ourselves, others and the changing world around us. Getting Real is a guide to everyday living that changes both our inner and outer worlds. I have learned so much about myself and find I am more willing to share myself with those around me and live a vastly more authentic life. Thank you Susan.
on April 10, 2002
After reading Radical Honesty I quite accidentally came across this book in the library! And while I found Radical Honesty compelling and challenging, I also felt uncertain of my ability to truly practice the skills Brad Blantoon proposed.
Susan Campbell presents many of the same challenges to her readers, but gives such powerful concrete examples that I found it easier to understand and begin to apply in my own life.
The Truth Skills are clear, very comprehendable, and while simple in that way, for me living them will be a challenge.
I scored high on all of her self-assessment quizzes - and yet I did not read the book and come away feeling like I am some sort of failure as a person, just that I am indeed like most of the people roaming this earth. What makes me different is my desire to change and grow. Where I see myself failing most significantly in my life is in the area of communicating and relating in healthy ways. Learning to live in "what IS" and not what I imagine, learning to relate and not control, and to listen closely to my self-talk, to feel free to communicate and to be ABLE to communicate and to be real, for example, for me will be life changing.
I cannot recommend this book highly enough!
on November 5, 2001
Getting Real is an honest and straightforward book about freedom. Many of us, perhaps most of us, learn from early childhood experiences that it's not safe to be ourselves. We take on false beliefs that become part of our adult lives. This book shows us, step by step, how to free ourselves from the need to control how others view us and find the
freedom that comes from "relating" as opposed to "controlling."
The book is organized around 10 truth skills that help us learn to communicate authentically and discover that "we are most loveable when we are most transparent." When we speak from our own experience instead of from our judments and interpretations, we enter the realm of the here-and-now. We learn to communicate our honesty with presence and compassion, instead of trying to prove ourselves right.
Dr. Campbell, a corporate consultant and seminar leader, has found that when people practice these skills, their fear of speaking honestly dissolves. They develop an unshakeable sense of inner safety and security, so they no longer need to control other peoples' opinions or reactions.
Indeed, Getting Real teaches us everything from how to experience reality and how to be transparent (feeling good about revealing your true self) to how to assert your wants and how to embrace silence in a relationship. Dr. Campbell writes, "Profound things happen when two people sit face-to-face and openly explore their feelings toward each other in the present." Susan Campbell, Ph.D. has, in this reviewer's opinion, given us the ability to see and appreciate our true selves!
on October 25, 2001
Dr. Susan Campbell explains how we can get honest communications in a world of superficial chatter & white lies. In the Aftermath of September 11th, Getting Real has a lot to say about effective awareness practices.
This book provides a set of simple & effective awareness practices that give you ideas on how to discover the freedom that comes from relating more & controlling less.
Having said that, Getting Real will make you work - packed into 231 pages is a trunkful of baggage we carry about, shielding us, distracting us. From "How to Stop Being Right and Start Being Real" to "Experiencing What Is: To get Where You Need to Go, Be Where You Are"; from "Being Transparent: Freedom's Just Another Word for Nothing Left to Hide" to "Noticing Your Intent: Is It to Relate or to Control?"; from "Welcoming Feedback: It's How We Learn" to "Taking Back Projections: Discovering Your Other Side." & so on, Dr. Campbell works us through each process with sidebars, quizzes, examples, explanations, a good Resource Guide & Index.
There's so much to work on - so much to learn, some you might already know - most you won't have given a second thought to until you turn the page & find yourself murmuring: "Ahha!" I felt decades & pounds lighter after I'd worked the exercises & read the book! While Getting Real is hard work - it is good medicine!
I just wish Getting Real had been bigger in size - along the lines of a cookbook with wide margins - so I could lay it flat & make notations!
on December 11, 2001
I cannot speak to how this book will impact others but for myself I found that with each passing chapter I found MYSELF in those pages. I kept thinking over past relationships and how I had done almost every single thing WRONG. This book does not come off as some "new agey" kind of "I'm OK, you're OK" cra*. It just asks you to look at yourself; Look at how you are relating to the world and then suggests a different way of relating.
Ask yourself, "Am I happy with my life, my relationships?" If the answer is no I think this book is worth a read. It gets especially useful if you can get family and friends to participate. That can really help you get through barriers you thought were sealed for life.
on October 30, 2001
on June 5, 2001
Don't be deceived. Susan Campbell's latest book is easy to understand, but practicing her wisdom will be one of your most difficult undertakings. Simple, but not easy. How can we reach out and reach within simultaneously? Staying connected with yourself and with whomever you happen to be interacting with in the moment requires awareness and intention, two aspects of the human experience that are clouded by our conditioned selves. Ms. Cambell helps us know how to do this by getting real, and practice makes perfect. This is the ultimate spiritual practice that requires a commitment to stay with yourself without giving "you" up as you engage with others. Filled with wonderful insights, this jewel takes you beyond the commercial self-help books into a space of knowing how to do what you always wanted to do: be connected and stay there by accepting what is. By using Susan's guidance perhaps we can stop intellectualizing and let our hearts tell us how to proceed. Feeling good is our way of knowing that our last thought was Truth, that our last word was Wisdom, and that our last action was Love. Proceed with Love in your heart and read this book.
on April 16, 2001
This highly evolved masterpiece is a reader's digest condensed version of radical honesty.
Imagine a highly evolved human being who has dedicated her entire adult life to what it means to be an evolved human being.
Imagine investing thousands of hours, countless hours, studying and practicing psychology, sociology, philosophy, cognition, transactional analysis, gestalt therapy, neurolinguistic programming, eastern spirituality, therapy and coaching.
Now imagine this person recently finished elegantly capturing the most powerful insights from this life dedicated to action research in these areas.
This is obviously someone whose life's work is to heal the planet.
Finally, imagine visiting with this Goddess, and engaging in an exchange where these insights are transfused into your consciousness instantly, easily and effortlessly.
Susan's insights are so powerful, simply reading this book is life altering. It is impossible to not be automatically evolved simply by being exposed to the truth skills Susan shares, such as noticing whether your intent is to relate or control, or attachment to being right, or being able to hold different viewpoints simultaneously.
It isn't just the skills Susan shares that make a difference, though that would be powerful in itself. It is the heartfelt way she shares them, and the examples and exercises she shares, that really make these profound yet simple ideas come to life for the reader.
Even more powerfully dramatic, however, is the transformation the reader experiences as one begins to apply the skills and the philosophy to interactions with others. The reader's filters and lenses are forever adjusted, enhanced, expanded, tuned up and refined, resulting in a new experience of life, understanding more fully what is meant by "being present in the moment".
So often we are run by our stories, our interpretations, our beliefs, our assumptions and our habits. Susan shares in language that is easy to understand and apply, how we can take being human to a more evolved place.
I strongly recommend this book as mandatory reading for anyone who is passionately committed to living an authentic life.
on April 14, 2001
This is obviously someone whose life's work is to heal the planet.
Finally, imagine visiting with this Goddess, one on one, and engaging in an exchange where these insights are transfused into your consciousness instantly, easily and effortlessly.
on June 18, 2001
"The important thing is to look honestly at what your need to control is designed to protect you from and whether it actually supports your well being." pg. 88 This is only one of the very valuable quotes I have typed and placed on my refrigerator door... I refer to it every day and thank Susan every day for writing Getting Real.
Another of my favorites is, "If you let fear get in the way of honest communication, you lose your power to create magic".
Magic is what Susan has created in this book. I give it the highest possible recommendation.
Averill Bowers... former reference librarian