5.0 out of 5 stars If you only purchase one
Whether you're just looking to add more fruits and vegetables into your food program, are transitioning into becoming vegetarian or going more into raw foods, this is THE book for you.
Published on March 27 2001 by Revvell P. Revati

2.0 out of 5 stars There are better raw books...
Published on Dec 27 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars There are better raw books..., Dec 27 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Raw Gourmet, The (Paperback)
My husband and I are transitioning to raw foods. We have read numerous books and were prompted to buy The Raw Gourmet because of the cover and the incredible photos inside. Truly, the pictures are stunning. Unfortunately, the recipes lack that certain something. We made a few, but there were no instructions on exactly how to get the results she got in her pics. In some recipes, the photo didn't even show the same ingredients she lists in the recipe! I returned the book to the health food store after one week. There are better raw food books out there. See my review on Rainbow Green...

5.0 out of 5 stars If you only purchase one, March 27 2001
This review is from: Raw Gourmet, The (Paperback)
It's got great photos, sections on; the basics including a guide to using the book and ten raw food kitchen essentials so you can prepare a meal within 20 minutes of arriving home; breakfast; juices and blended drinks; fundamental flavors including soups, sauces, dressings, etc.; entrees and desserts. There is a section on sprouting, food combining, a 3-week menu plan; special occasion menu suggestions, sources and grocery guide.
In the grocery guide, Nomi explains foods which some people may not be familiar with and what they may be used for. Most of the ingredients are common and familiar to most people or, if not, can be substituted for those that are.
In the sources section, she tells where to get many of the ingredients included in the recipes. Living in California, I've found I can get most of the ingredients at my local "natural" (many of the foods I wouldn't classify as natural) foods store, but for someone living far from these sources, it's nice to know where to go. I and my friends have purchased from a couple of these places and found the service and quality of foods to be excellent.
I would suggest that if you don't have one, the minimum to get to assist in making many of these recipes is a good food processor and a good blender. You can always upgrade as you become more creative. Nomi also lists sources for dehydrators, juicers and blenders. I purchased the ones she recommends before I knew about this book and I agree with her assessments.
Nomi was introduced to raw foods over 10 years ago by a holistic physician. At first she was eating about 50% of her foods raw and eventually became sincere about eat raw foods. She "said good-bye" to fibromyalgia, hypoglycemia, mood swings, allergic sinusitis, digestive disorders, including acid reflux and candida. You can see why she is a raw foods advocate.
If you're looking for a good, all-purpose book, I highly recommend The Raw Gourmet by Nomi Shannon

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful salads was my first impression, April 15 2000
This review is from: Raw Gourmet, The (Paperback)
This book has beautiful pictures, interesting recipes of salads, juices and sauces, and helpful information on just about everything you need to know about raw food.
It is a great book for someone looking for recipes on salads, juices and sauces. However, I was looking for raw recipes that would be similar to traditional main courses, because I need help in that area. I don't have a problem making delicious salad type meals and juices, but have a difficult time with preparing a main dish that has a traditional "look".
This is a wonderful book, but it wasn't what I was looking for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, Feb. 20 2002
This review is from: Raw Gourmet, The (Paperback)
Please - Buy, Borrow or Steal this book, and Go Raw. There is no excuse. This book makes meal preparation quick and easy. You can not go wrong. Worth every penny. They don't use wierd, expensive and difficult to find ingredients, and they don't expect you to be a chef like some other books do. I tell you that this book will save your life. Brillient!
Thank you Nomi and Brian. You've saved mine already.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite raw "cook" book, June 13 2003
Melanie "mongoliamel" (Cass Lake, MN, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Raw Gourmet, The (Paperback)
...This is one of the most beautiful recipe books I've ever seen; it doubles as a nice coffee table book! I've always loved cookbooks that show you what the finished recipes are supposed to look like, especially when I'm new to a certain style of cooking (or in this case not cooking). Her book is over-the-top wonderful with lovely photos on every page.
Another thing that makes this book so different from other raw "cookbooks" is that Nomi shows you to find the time to prepare raw meals, sprout, etc. Extras include "Ten Raw Food Kitchen Essentials," a sprouting chart, information about food combining, a 3-week menu plan, and so much more!
The recipes are as varied and wonderful as any cooked food you've ever eaten, from breakfast grains to juices and salads to pies, cookies, and ice cream! Check out the table of contents to see the incredibly long list of different kinds of recipes she has included in this fabulous book. You won't believe how much you can do with raw foods!
I also liked that she includes a notation that shows you which recipes are "properly combined" for those new to food combining. If I had to choose only one of my raw foods recipe books to keep, it would be this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, March 18 2003
This review is from: Raw Gourmet, The (Paperback)
I have followed healthy eating habits for about 10 years with great results. I began with "transitional" type cookbooks and gradually became more raw over time. Great tasting and easy to follow recipes are contained in this eye appealing book. For the beginner in this type of eating some of the ingredients may be a bit challenging to find if you don't have access to a quality health food store. A little perseverance is well worth the effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not so fast..., Sept. 8 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Raw Gourmet, The (Paperback)
This book does have beautiful pictures!! And the recipes are mostly not too complicated!! But it is not a basic book for a beginner...for much of it you need those harder-to-find ingredients, AND a kitchen full of uncommon appliances to prepare this stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, Aug. 14 2002
California Dreamin "sr538" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Raw Gourmet, The (Paperback)
This is a very beautiful book, and is worth buying just for the spectacular food photography. There is also a lot of useful information for dishes going beyond fruit and salad, and hints for preparation. If, like me, you are seriously considering adding one or more raw meals to your diet, this book will be helpful.
Unfortunately most of the meals seem to require a bit of preparation or planning (soaking) and a Champion juicer or similar food processor. (The blank screen on the Champion emits both juice and pulp together instead of seperating the juice).
Thank you Nomi (and Coral).

4.0 out of 5 stars Delicious and Educational, Feb. 12 2002
MKG (Lynn, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Raw Gourmet, The (Paperback)
The recipes in this book are delicious and fun to make. They leave lots of room for experimentation and creativity. The recipe for Asian Paté would knock anyone's socks off!
I found the book very educational and inspiring as well: Nomi does a great job of explaining the benefits of a raw diet and emphahsizes the importance of organic foods. Various not-so-common ingredients are well-defined for beginners too.
My only suggestion for improving the book would be to have the ingredients indexed a little better (for instance, if you're looking for that yummy dressing you made with dulse and red pepper previously, you won't find it under "dulse" or "red pepper" because it's indexed in the back under "Dressing Del Mar")... but this is only a small inconvenience.
Also, I became a little frustrated when many of the recipes I wanted to make required a juicer equipped with a "blank screen"... I have a pretty good (fairly expensive) juice extractor, but it doesn't have a blank screen, so I couldn't figure out how to make the recipes.
All in all, I would say this is a very worthwhile and inspiring book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Guide, May 18 2001
Effie C. Birdsong (New York, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Raw Gourmet, The (Paperback)
This is a helpful book for anyone interested in maintaining a raw food diet. There are recipes and menu plans to can be easily followed. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and refer to it on several occasions.

ARRAY(0xb0d9ac0c)

Raw Gourmet, The
Raw Gourmet, The by Nomi Shannon (Paperback - Jan. 1 1999)
CDN$ 29.95 CDN$ 18.77