5.0 out of 5 stars Are you kidding?
I was astonished to discover that people see this wonderful book as being about stalkers, incestuous relationships, guilt, etc., etc. NOW I know who comes up with the subjects for vile talk shows - and who watches them.
Published on May 26 2004 by JennyJuniper

3.0 out of 5 stars Love You Forever Review
Published on Oct. 8 2002 by Robert Matchett

5.0 out of 5 stars Are you kidding?, May 26 2004
This review is from: Love You Forever (Paperback)
Get a grip, people. This is a book about the deep, unceasing love that parents have for their children, and which they pass on through the family. Love creates love. It takes it to absurd lengths to make a point. If you're taking it literally, you seriously need psychiatric help; or maybe you've never loved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never in my life have I ever been so touched by one book., Oct. 23 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: Love You Forever (Hardcover)
Never in my life have I ever been so touched by one book. I have two daughters, Nicole, 5, and Emily, 2. It is my honor to read to them each night. The process is simple, they pick the stories and I read it to them. But on this one night, reading them a story was not simple. "Love you forever" was like no children's book I have read. In short, by books end I was in complete tears and hugging my two daughters and never wanting to let go. And though I did eventually let go of them physically, this book reinforced in me the thought that as long as I am alive, my two girls will be my little babies forever and always. Thanking you for reaching a part of my heart I didn't know existed. Michael Romeo (romeomj@earthlink.net) Burbank, CA

5.0 out of 5 stars a shared language- a mother's love, April 10 2015
karen kaneshiro (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love You Forever (Paperback)
I was teaching English in central China. I sometimes read simple stories to my class of mixed students, and since this book was written in simple English I knew it would appeal to both my advanced and basic classes, and they would all be able to sign out the book from my "library" to read on their own after I read it aloud in class. It's moving theme of unconditional and everlasting love I felt sure would appeal to all, and did it ever! As I read, I told them of the recent unexpected and early death of my own mother, and how much I missed her. As I read aloud I felt my l throat tighten, and my eyes fill up with tears. My students could not help but notice. At the end of story I gave my students a usual assignment - they were to think of the story and write about it in their journal. I asked them to reflect on their own feelings for their mother (it was near Mother's Day) as they were writing. As I was sitting in my room reading their journals I was astounded at the profound responses the book had brought about, and even the student with the poorest English skills found the words to write about their mother - living or deceases. Never, in all my years in China had I been given such insight into both the country and the people. They were graduate students in university, and many were coming back to school after years of education disruption due to the past 'cultural revolution' and the 'great leap forward'. As I read of mothers who went hungry so their children could eat, or who went without medical care so they could provide for their child/children, I cried. My students were usually not comfortable speaking aloud in English, and always reticent about making any comment that might be taken as a criticism of the government or policies, but this wonderful little book broke down all barriers and even the weakest student found a way to honour their mother. In reading their journals I not only learned so much about family life in China during difficult times, but I learned that love of mothers is something that is universal and binds all of us together in a way unlike any other. Mr. Munsch was able to touch the heart of China in a way no one else could, and I am deeply grateful to him. Mine were not the only tears to fall that day.

5.0 out of 5 stars A marvelous and reassuring book, Feb. 13 2003
Misti A. Delaney (Ann Arbor, Michigan USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love You Forever (Paperback)
I love this book. I was introduced to it by a friend when my older kids were "too old for baby books". But I read it, and choked up -- and I read it to them, and they -- rambunctions preteenaged boys that they were, grinned and hugged me, and "I love yout forever" became a ritual in our house...even though they were "too old". When my first grand daughter was born last year, I sent this book to her, so her Mamma and Pappa can read it to her ... and then I found out that I have another little one on the way, so I'm ordering him his very own copy.
True, Mamma crawling through the winder of her adult son's bedroom to rock him and tell him how much she loves him is a little odd...until you think about the way a very young child sees the world. They want to grow up, but they truly cannot imagine not "needing" Mamma and Pappa in the way they do at two or three. This books reassures the little ones that they can grow up and take their place in adult life and Mamma's love for them won't change. Later, they'll be ready to understand that the love will be the same, but the manifestation will change...but why hurry them to that point? Childhood is so sweet and far, far too short.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for All!, Dec 14 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Love You Forever (Hardcover)
When I read this book I loved it! I don't think many younger ones would really grasp the idea of the mother rocking her son while he was a man. But it definitly shows the love the mother really has for her son. Even if it wasn't really shown from her son to her until both of them were very much older. Many times that is the cirumstance though with relationships between mothers or fathers and their children. When the children are younger they don't really realize how much their parents do for them or how much they mean to them. Yet when they get older, most of the time, these burdons are put on them so they finally know what it's like. They might even recognize it before then. Going back to the book, it's very good because the pictures really bring out how many different things both of them went through. Then at the very end, it told of the mother calling the son, telling him he needs to come see her because she is very old and sick. So he goes to see her and when he got in the room with her, she started singing the song:
I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always...
But she couldn't finish because of her being too old and sick. So her son picked her up and rocked her back and forth, just as she had done to him. And he finished the song:
I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, As long as I'm living, my Mommy you'll be.
When he does this, he shows that he remembers this and he is finally making it up to her, letting her know that he cares for her as well. Even if he didn't show it before. Then, when he goes home, he stood at the top of his stairs, thinking. Then it shows a picture of him with his new born baby girl, rocking her back and forth singing the same song his mother sang to him at night. Most of the time that's how things get passed down from generation to generation with much care in mind. I know this because I have a ring that was my great grandmother's which has been given to me. There's no way I will give it up and when I have a little girl(hopefully I will), I will pass it down to her.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST for all mohters, Sept. 24 2007
This review is from: Love You Forever (Paperback)
This is one of the sweetest books I have ever read - each year as your child gets older it becomes more and more meaningful - I repeat the verse: "I'll love you forever. I'll like you for always. As long as I am living my baby you'll be." to my son all the time - when he has fallen and has hurt himself, when he is tired and I am lying beside him in bed, or just when I want to repeat the beautiful words. He always likes to hear it and hopefully always will! . It is a most treasured book in his library. For my older girl I got two first books from the series Why Some Cats are Rascals, Book 2. It's another MUST HAVE

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing endures like a mother's love, Nov. 19 2002
This review is from: Love You Forever (Hardcover)
Of the books on our family shelf, this is one that will never grow tiring ... and one that we will never outgrow.
This is heartwarming but simple story of a mother's love for her son and how it endures, overshadowing the trials and tribulations of each stage of "boyhood." Each night, she rocks her child and sings her love to him softly -
I'll love you forever
I'll like you for always
As long as I'm living
My baby you'll be
Though her son grows up and moves out on his own, her love for him doesn't dim and she sneaks over to his house late at night to croon to him.
When he has a child of his own, he finds himself rocking his child and softly singing the same song, his mother's love flowing down through the generations.
And finally, when his mother is too old to care for herself, the story comes full circle as the boy gathers his mother into his arms and rocks her gently, softly murmuring the song which so effectively expresses the love that has bound them together.
A word of warning ... after all these years of reading this story, it's still not possible to get to the end without tears welling in my eyes...keep the Kleenex close by.

5.0 out of 5 stars It makes you cry so much, onions are jealous, May 14 2004
David C. Roller (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love You Forever (Paperback)
This is an amazing book. I cannot get through it without bawling like a baby.
I have a 4 year old daughter and a 2 year old son. My daughter and now my son for that matter do not like being called a baby any more. I just tell them that no matter how big they get that they will always be my babies. They don't yet understand that the emphasis is on the word "my" not "babies".
This book depicts a parent who understands her role in life: Pour your love into your child at whatever stage of life they are in.
I really love Sheila McGraws's illustration. They add poignancy to Robert Munch's saga.
I disagree with putting the toilet picture on the cover, though. The book is not really about the antics of the child it is about the love of the mother. If I were the decision maker (which of course I am not), I would put the picture of the mom crawling into her 2 year olds room on the cover. That picture captures the essence of the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love You Forever Review, Oct. 8 2002
Robert Matchett (Costa Mesa, CA. USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love You Forever (Hardcover)
I felt that the story "Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch was a good story for students ages 4-8. There are excellent illustrations that work well bringing the story to life. Children will laugh at the end when the mother drives across town and still sings the song to her son. The children will be able appreciate at the end of the story when the roles are reversed and the father is now singing the song to his own daughter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love You Forever, Oct. 30 2002
Travis (Bay City, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love You Forever (Paperback)
"I'll love you forever. I'll like you for always. As long as I'm living my baby you'll be". This saying is repeated on just about every page. This is a very great book for younger kids. It explains that not everything stays the same forever, yet some things still do. The story is about a baby and his mother and how the baby changes as he grows up but the mother still sings him the song no matter how old he is. The story shows the major ages of a person's life; 2, 9, a teenager, a grown man, and an older man in his mid ages. It starts out he's just a little baby. Then he is two and runs all over the house and flushes his moms watch down the toilet. He grows and he grows until he's 9 years old and he doesn't want to come in for dinner or listen to his mom. The story keeps on going until he is an older man and his mom is sick and very old. He goes over there and rocks her back and forth, back and forth and as he rocked her he sang..."I'll love you forever. I'll like you for always. As long as I'm living my baby you'll be". So I think it was a very good book for young readers.

Love You Forever
Love You Forever by Robert Munsch (Paperback - Sept. 1 1995)
CDN$ 5.95 CDN$ 5.36