5.0 out of 5 stars the one to get first!
Published on July 8 2004 by jed clampett

3.0 out of 5 stars too much nonsense in this book
Published on Jan. 9 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars the one to get first!, July 8 2004
This review is from: Rock n' Blues Harmonica (Paperback)
I see that this book has 5 stars and over 30 reviews so I hardly have to convince any one of how good it is. The author is obviously a heck of a good guy and he talks you through all the techniques and riffs in the book. The fact that he is not only a great harp player but also a great teacher makes this book and cd worth it's weight in gold. Another great section of the book is the extensive list of albums that feature harmonica with every track listed along with the key the harp is played for every song on the album! I got myself a Hohner Special 20 harp which is Jon's top recommendation on his website. This is an updated version of the Marine Band and is easier to bend notes on than that. Make sure you don't pay too much for one of these harps, about 20 bucks is about right. I saw a catalog for homespun that had the Lee Oskar harps (also recommended and quite similar to the Hohner Special 20) for sale for 37.00 which I guess is list price. Yikes! Like I mentioned, the special 20 and the Oskar is about 20.00 if you go online or to the big guitar outlet place that's all over the place. Anyway, thanks Jon, I'll soon be getting your Americana book with the 2 cds. The Blues Harp collection (different author, but also on amazon) is also a fantastic book although of course you'll have to get at least a Little Walter and a Sonny Boy Williamson album to hear alot of the tunes transcribed in this book. I got the versions called "His Best" of both of these guys. One other book that is no less than amazing is the Bluegrass Harmonica by Mike Stevens (also available thru Amazon) Don't pass this by because you may not be into bluegrass, it's got quite a few traditional melodies and originals by Stevens but the main thing is the technique involved is incredible. It involves bending like in the book reviewed here but it goes a bit further into bends and a somewhat advanced technique called overblows which together will teach you to get every note available out of a regular diatonic harp. Also with a cd and again, the tunes and technique here are not to be missed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not the best method of instruction, Jan. 10 2004
This review is from: Rock n' Blues Harmonica (Paperback)
I started learning the harmonica not too long ago and this was the first book I found & bought. I will elaborate where this book shined and where it fell short:
When I started with it, I was immediately was put off by this guy's terrible sense of humor. He teaches the harmonica using inane stories involving Biblical characters and cavemen, basically it sounds like you're participating in story hour for five year olds at the library.
The next thing that disappointed me was the cd. Though very useful, his playing on it overwhelmed me and he seemed to move slowly when I felt he could move quicker and quickly when I felt he should move slowly.
That being said, this book does the job it's intended to do. To get the most from it, jam every day with the cd (no matter how bad you sound) and of course the text is most important. He explains very simply how to jam & harmonize with the I-IV-V blues progression and does a satisfactory job explaining technique and how to develop good technique.
Don't buy this book expecting to be a good player in a month (or even a year for that matter), musical instruments take time to learn and the harmonica is no exception.
If you really are concerned with mastery and you're just beginning, try to find a private teacher, but this book can get you started and motivated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Amazing!!!! by Sylvia Gindick, Nov. 7 2003
This review is from: Rock n' Blues Harmonica (Paperback)
I didn't use this book, but my dad did. All I know is that one day he didn't have a clue on how to play the harp and the next day he did. He even started trying to teach me to play!! I'm positive that Jon Gindick is a fabulous teacher, because my dad had been trying to learn how to play the harmonica for months, but he just didn't get it. Jon's book really helped him. Now my dad won't put his harmonica down and he is constantly jamming! If you are interested in playing th harp, this is the book to get!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended Blues Harmonica method, July 20 2003
Stan Shear (Vancouver B.C.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock n' Blues Harmonica (Paperback)
After having played chromatic harmonica for years, I thought I'd try and play around with this "Micky Mouse diatonic harp". Got a Hohner Pro-harp and Jon's book, and discovered a whole new world out there. If you want to learn Blues Harmonica in theory and practice in a really fun, but no-nonsense way, this is the best I've seen. The book covers all the basics - a bit of music theory, diatonic harmonica theory, riffs, bends, hand effects - all you need to know. But best of all is the companion CD, which Jon talks and plays you through. You'll just want to listen to this for fun. But you WILL learn. Jon has a unique style of teaching that really works, and speaks volumes for his ability, knowledge, and desire to teach you. I want to ultimately get more of his follow-up books and CD's. He's a great teacher, and you'll love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lotsa Harpin' Fun, March 26 2003
Stephen Tye (Milwaukee, Wisconsin) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock n' Blues Harmonica (Paperback)
I started playing harp on a whim with Jon's Harmonica Americana. I then graduated to this book, and they've both been very enjoyable. Yes, as others have noted, some of the text can be a bit corny, but so what? This isn't Differential Equations, it's music, man! If you want to have some fun and learn to play harmonica quickly, the book and CD are great. If you want to do some advanced stuff, Jon provides a discography in the back of the book so you can buy a few CDs and play along. GREAT FUN!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books on blues harp., Feb. 17 2003
This review is from: Rock n' Blues Harmonica (Paperback)
I learned bending note technique from David Harp's "Bending the Blues", and then learned how to apply the techniques to songs from "Rock n' Blues Harmonica". Both books provide a very effective way to master blues harp. Thanks to these great books my blues harp skill improved very quickly. A happy reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great starter, plus good reference., Feb. 14 2003
Edward Mueller (Poulsbo, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock n' Blues Harmonica (Paperback)
There are a lot of books out there for the people who REALLY want to get into the musical theory, but what about the beginner?
Yes, there's a quite a bit of fancyful storytelling about Stone, the caveman hamonica player and his experiences, but that's just one of the things that separates this book from the hundreds of other instruction books that just get too technical for the person starting out.
IF YOU WANT TO GO FROM ABSOLUTE BEGINNER TO CAPABLE HARMONICA PLAYER (with practice), YOU MUST HAVE THIS BOOK!!
Rather than confuse the novice with a lot of theory, Jon Gindick gets right to the heart of the matter... how to develop a "feel" for the instrument, and learn what notes sound right -- then weave that into your own blues improvisation.
Then, if you want the technical info (and, yes, it is really needed), that's in the back.
Bottom line... this is an enjoyable book that breaks from tradition and shows you how to sound good in a simple manner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reading, Feb. 13 2003
This review is from: Rock n' Blues Harmonica (Paperback)
This is a great read even if one is not interested in playing the harmonica/harp. All readers must know by now how good this book is for musical instruction, but at the same time it is very enjoyable reading. I had a smile on my face the whole time while reading it twice. Jon's style is fantastic. With the included CD this item was very helpful and I can't say enough on how good it is. On a scale of five stars this rates a TEN.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock n' Blues Harmonica rocks!!, Feb. 5 2003
J. C. Ceccherelli (Wappingers Falls, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock n' Blues Harmonica (Paperback)
Jon Gindick is nothing short of genius. I've suffered through several books on blues harp without much success. Gindick had me blowing acceptable harp after 2 days. Gindick is an expert. That is not unusual. His ability to convey what he does and how he does it is rare. He shows you the technique was well as what will and what won't work. Gindick maps out the harmonica in such a way that you can play along with any 12 bar blues and not make a mistake. The easy to understand music theory was the key that unlocked the door for me.
Gindick guides you from the basics to the intricate in an easy and enjoyable pace. One of the first tunes he teaches is a bluesy rendition of "Amazing Grace" which sounds great from the moment you first practice it.
If your goal is to be able to play harmonica that sounds great in a very short period of time, Rock n' Blues Harmonica essential. I only regret that I didn't stumble across this book first.

3.0 out of 5 stars too much nonsense in this book, Jan. 9 2003
This review is from: Rock n' Blues Harmonica (Paperback)
This book contains so much extra nonsense it was rather annoying to read. The book describes itself as containing, "a world of harp knowledge, songs, stories, lessons, etc.. . The bad thing is the "stories" were some nonsense about ficitional characters running around in caveman times and their experiences with music and the harmonica. The book does contain useful info, mixed in with the foolish stories, making it twice as long as it needs to be. I did however find the included CD somewhat helpful. I have a pretty good music background and was looking for something a little less, "age 8 and under", I guess.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xc4f252ac)

Rock n' Blues Harmonica
Rock n' Blues Harmonica by Jon Gindick (Paperback - Feb. 1 2000)
CDN$ 28.04 CDN$ 21.83