4.0 out of 5 stars I just wish this book were in color !, July 3 2001
E. Stanclift "els4, book lover" (Maine, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Discovering Great Artists (Pb) (Paperback)
As a former public school teacher, and now a homeschool parent, I can honestly say I've seen a great deal of art curriculum materials. This book stands hand and shoulders above the rest in terms of what it attempts to cover and the way it brings the great artistic styles into undestandable terms for children and their educators.
My only complaint (and what's kept me from giving this book 5 Stars) is that the black & white photocopies of pictures show so little detail of each artist. You really need to have a good full color guide to the world of art (showing at least one major work from each artist) to be able to use this curriculum effectively.
My hope is that the authors will consider this for future printings. If they do so, I think this will be the perfect art curriculum to teach both hands on art and art history.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile., Sept. 11 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Discovering Great Artists (Pb) (Paperback)
This wonderful book features just about any artist you can think of (most of which I've never even heard of!). It's divided into four chapters: Renaissance & Post-Renaiisance, Impressionists & Post-Impressionists, Expressionists...& Surrealists (say what?), Modern & Folk Art. Each page features a different artist, with a simple sketch of the artist, a brief biography, and several ideas on how to re-create that artist's style. The only gripe I have, which is the reason it didn't get 5 stars, is that there are not nearly enough reproductions of the artists' best work. Many pages show only a picture drawn or sketched by a student in the style of the artist, which I found extremely unhelpful. What would have been great is if the publishers would have included a postcard-size reproduction of the best known artists. I ended up having to buy several other books with postcard-size reproductions to use in class. This book will give you a lot of great ideas, but it's not overly functional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids only? Rats., June 8 2000
This review is from: Discovering Great Artists (Pb) (Paperback)
I'm an adult and I can't wait to try these projects. Who says kids are the only ones that get to play and explore with art ideas? The Gaugin project looks brint and mysterious, and the Michelangelo painting on the underside of a table is a must do. So, let's have an art party and invite only people who like to have fun! (Besides, I'm to busy to learn about all these cool artists in big huge wordy adult books, and these great one- paragraph descriptions -- with a portrait sketch -- are perfect for me. Interesting too.)

5.0 out of 5 stars It was so great somebody stole it :o), April 1 2000
Farah Aria "faraharia" (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Discovering Great Artists (Pb) (Paperback)
This book was very helpful in putting together my art studio curriculum. I teach fine and creative art to small children. I needed more great lessons to expand my classes...This book was so great that it dissapeared soon after my classes started...I have looked everywhere...and assume that it is a lost cause. I am here to buy a new copy. I highly recommend this book for teachers as well as parents. No child is too young to start exploring art! Especially with an enthusiastic adult!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful and diverse, Dec 1 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Discovering Great Artists (Pb) (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book for ways to spark an interest in both art as an activity and art history. I work with kids from ages 2 - 13 and this book has ideas that will work for most of that range. A variety of materials are suggested and the historical information helps bring perspective to the artists work, even for young minds. I highly recommend this for the home or school. I even bought one for my daughter's middle school art teacher for use at the school.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for teachers or parents, Dec 3 1999
This review is from: Discovering Great Artists (Pb) (Paperback)
Intoduce your kids to the great artists by doing projects that imitate the artists style. For example, read a short paragraph about Michelangelo's life and then mimic his technique by lying on the floor and painting the "ceiling" above (tape paper to the underside of a table for the "ceiling").

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Fabulous, May 20 2001
This review is from: Discovering Great Artists (Pb) (Paperback)
I have been looking for a new ways to teach children about art, and this book had all that I was looking for and then some. I am very impressed with the stress on the process over the finished product and the wonderfully creative approaches used to teaching children about art. A terrific book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great resource for elementary art, Nov. 4 2012
This review is from: Discovering Great Artists (Pb) (Paperback)
I purchased this book as a resource for my 5th grade art class. The students enjoy learning about the artists and trying their hand at copying their style.

4.0 out of 5 stars teacher resource, Nov. 1 2009
This review is from: Discovering Great Artists (Pb) (Paperback)
This book was recommended to me by an art teacher. The cross referencing at the back of the book (Great Art Styles and Great Art Techniques) makes it easy to find a well suited activity for numerous lesson plans. The Chart of Contents at the start of the book breaks it down even further into child level and adult prep time. The instructions are clear and concise. One drawback is the lack of actual artist work (in colour or otherwise) to better illustrate the technique. This however was easily solved by going on the internet and displaying the work on a classroom Smart Board. This is an excellent classroom resource book.

Discovering Great Artists (Pb)
Discovering Great Artists (Pb) by Kim Solga (Paperback - May 1 1997)
CDN$ 22.95 CDN$ 15.85