5.0 out of 5 stars You must first believe that the mind controls your health
Published on June 13 2004 by Esprit64

3.0 out of 5 stars Content helpful, type size small
Published on Sept. 22 2011 by Adminder

5.0 out of 5 stars You must first believe that the mind controls your health, June 13 2004
My journey through bad health has been going on now for eight years, cost me over $100,000, and my condition has been hurt more by the MDs who claimed they could fix it -- than was helped by them. Enough was enough. Doctors are more concerned about maxing their fees, assembly-lining as many patients per hour through their offices -- anything -- to overcome the hold that insurance companies presently have on their standard of living. And their patients -- are the losers to such practices. If you are to benefit from Louise Hay's book, you must accept that there is a mind/body connection to health -- a belief that our minds cause our colds as well as our cancers. That past traumas -- or simply bad beliefs -- have sufficient emotional impact on us -- "zapping" us -- into negative thought patterns that lodge somewhere in our bodies, wear us down, cause us to be hurt, in pain, paralyzed with fear, frightened into intertia -- in effect, our bodies to break down into -- dis-ease. That is the premise of this book. Should you believe it? After eight years of seeing top MDs to alternative practitioners, I tired of feeding "the healthcare mill" that makes MDs wealthy -- and me increasingly disabled. I am now fighting my way back to wellness -- exploring many authors based on their mind/body teachings, and using their techniques. My belief that I can get well is what is making me well. The proof is clear -- by the progress I have made.

3.0 out of 5 stars Content helpful, type size small, Sept. 22 2011
Book must be read with an open mind. Her insights on the mind-body connection to pain and illness are helpful, as are the practical suggestions for implementing positive affirmations and releasing past hurts. Insightful for people dealing with chronic pain or chronic illness, who've exhausted the medical options and can't figure out where to go from here. The "companion book" is a complementary add-on, helpful in releasing the past if one is ready to do the soul-searching involved.

Many of Louise's views re: our origin and purpose in life will not be shared by every reader, so one must be able to read with an open mind. For instance, she believes we are reincarnated, and that we choose our present circumstances (good or terrible) prior to our incarnation, as we feel that we need to learn lessons from them.)

I've read several of Louise's works. I found this particular book to have smaller type size, so it's not quite as easy to read, though the human (fallible, though insightful) wisdom contained therein is helpful if ingested with discretion.

Video is an interesting add-on, with comments from several different mind-body practitioners.

5.0 out of 5 stars most enjoyable, May 1 2008
Susan Hampel (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
i have watched this at least 3 times and have enjoyed it every time. it is well worth the money for the extended version. they did a fantastic job of putting this movie together. there is alot of information one can get out of this movie to help with one's life. i have heard nothing but good about this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book!, June 2 2004
A complete eye opener! I was hooked after the first page! A calming approach to a hectic everyday world! Well Done!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, Sept. 6 2008
N. Miousse (Sept-Iles, Québec Canada) - See all my reviews
I just finished watching this movie. It is so inspiring. I'm also reading the book and the movie helps a lot in understanding what needs to be done. Also, all the people who share their views in this movie are not telling you what to do but they explain their beliefs. It all makes sense. As for the extended version, it is the same as what they put in the movie but full length. So far, I only watched 2 (Louise Hay and Doreen Virtue). It's a great addition to the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can heal your life, July 3 2004
Amazon Customer (Uralsk, Kazakhstan) - See all my reviews
I have a gift edition of the book. And it was one of the first self-improvement books I ever read. I am happy that I picked Louise Hay. She is a Master in making people feel great about themselves and cut criticism and megative thoughts that often creep into our minds and try to make us feel miserable. I can tell you that after reading the book you start to work on your mind and finally you change your life. It has exercises and affirmations that do significant improvements in your life and even in your looks. If you buy a gift edition the book of Meditations is really good. A meditation on headache almed and treated mine right after I read it several times. And illustrations... You can buy the book only to see amazing work of Joan Perrin Falquet.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK CHANGED MY LIFE, April 30 2003
By A Customer
I know my story is going to sound like a joke, but here it is: I was working at a job that was substantially below my skill level, with the boss from hell. On top of that, I was overweight, feeling miserable, and well...my life was just not what I had hoped for. THEN, I read this book (May of 1999). It took a while, but slowly but surely my life started to change. At first, I thought the changes were in my mind, but within two weeks, I started to realize that I was thinking differently, and things just started to turn around. The affirmations are just so very powerful --- it is just amazing! Within a few months I lost the extra weight (36 pounds), and I look substantially younger. On top of that, within one year, I got my dream job, with the dream salary (my salary doubled). My friends, and family started to comment about the fantastic turn of events in my life. They are in awe! I do my affirmations every night before I go to bed. Some people have camomille tea before they go to bed, I do my affirmations. Give this book a try you have nothing to lose, and EVERYTHING to gain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent tool for self-improvement, Aug. 16 2002
Mention "affirmations", and some people may immediately see images of SNL's Al Franken as Stuart Smalley ("I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn-it, people like me!"). While the thought of using daily affirmations for self-improvement may seem weird or make you feel a tad uncomfortable, they certainly do work.
Louise Hay has given us the gift of self-love. Too many people berate themselves- perhaps they can't quit smoking, or can never seem to stick to a diet or lose weight. Whether it's a tempest-like upbringing or just plain lack of self-esteem, Louise Hay helps us to understand just how important it is to not only love ourselves, but forgive and accept our flaws when we're less than perfect. Her book goes into testimonials of people she's helped, and also has a wonderful alphabetical list of ailments (from "abdominal cramps" to "yeast infections")and the correct affirmation to use that can help aid that particular ailment. My Mom is a health kinesiologist and uses Louise Hay's book and the affirmations as emotional "homework" to do. EG: I had, yet again, gotten mastitis (breast infection sometimes developed during breastfeeding) for the 3rd time. In Hay's book, mastitis is realted to mothering everyone else but yourself. The corresponding affirmation is "I am important. I count. I now care for and nourish myself with love and with joy." After 3 days of doing this affirmation, the mastitis cleared up on it's own- no antibiotics required. So obviously, I am a loyal fan of affirmations. Give it a go- what have you got to lose?

5.0 out of 5 stars "It's only a thought, and a thought can be changed.", March 3 2002
By A Customer
This beautiful book is wonderful! It seems very simplistic that we just need to create affirmations in our life and many problems will dissapear, but it works. While you are affirming, you will realize your limiting beliefs and that is your starting point for changes in your life. Otherwise, affirmations just become wishful thinking. From personal experience, I have been blaming people in my life for my frustrations and anger. As soon as I wrote affirmations for myself that focus on me, I hardly notice the things about other people that were annoying me. Now, I realize that all other people have been acting as my mirrors and I just didn't want to believe the negative things were really part of me too. Louise Hay explains simply in each section how we create our own problems, provides exercises to clear our limiting beliefs, and gives beautiful affirmations to meditate on. I also highly recommend Shakti Gawains, "Creative Visualisation" to help write more personal and specific affirmations for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars DISCOVER THE REAL YOU!, April 23 2001
Sandra D. Peters "Seagull Books" (Prince Edward Island, Canada) - See all my reviews
"You Can Heal Your Life" is a beautifully written and illustrated book dealing with self-discovery. It is a stepping stone in finding the real person you are and exploring ways that will lead to a more peaceful and happy life. Often, we are our own worst enemies with imaginary fears of what the future will bring, or we are dwellers of our past mistakes, regrets and misgivings. The importance of discovering and accepting our true self for who we really are, and the search for a more fulfilling life, are explored among the pages of this book.
Some of the words here are very much similar to Buddhist Philosophies. It is a known fact that before we can start anew, we must first rid ourself of all negative emotions and habits, more commonly known in this day and age as, "getting rid of the excess baggage." This is a wonderful self-help book that will lead you on a path of positive thinking and leave the reader with the understanding no one is perfect, we all have faults, but we can still feel good about ourselves.
If you are interested in exploring more fully the world of peace, contentment and happiness, I also recommend reading , "Awakening the Buddha Within" by Lama Surya Das and "Healing Society" by Dr. Seung-Heun Lee. Both are excellent books and a realistic learning adventure in self-discovery.

You Can Heal Your Life
You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay (Paperback - Jan. 1 1984)
CDN$ 15.95 CDN$ 11.51