5.0 out of 5 stars You must first believe that the mind controls your health
Published on June 13 2004 by Esprit64

3.0 out of 5 stars Content helpful, type size small
Published on Sept. 22 2011 by Adminder

5.0 out of 5 stars You must first believe that the mind controls your health, June 13 2004
My journey through bad health has been going on now for eight years, cost me over $100,000, and my condition has been hurt more by the MDs who claimed they could fix it -- than was helped by them. Enough was enough. Doctors are more concerned about maxing their fees, assembly-lining as many patients per hour through their offices -- anything -- to overcome the hold that insurance companies presently have on their standard of living. And their patients -- are the losers to such practices. If you are to benefit from Louise Hay's book, you must accept that there is a mind/body connection to health -- a belief that our minds cause our colds as well as our cancers. That past traumas -- or simply bad beliefs -- have sufficient emotional impact on us -- "zapping" us -- into negative thought patterns that lodge somewhere in our bodies, wear us down, cause us to be hurt, in pain, paralyzed with fear, frightened into intertia -- in effect, our bodies to break down into -- dis-ease. That is the premise of this book. Should you believe it? After eight years of seeing top MDs to alternative practitioners, I tired of feeding "the healthcare mill" that makes MDs wealthy -- and me increasingly disabled. I am now fighting my way back to wellness -- exploring many authors based on their mind/body teachings, and using their techniques. My belief that I can get well is what is making me well. The proof is clear -- by the progress I have made.

3.0 out of 5 stars Content helpful, type size small, Sept. 22 2011
Book must be read with an open mind. Her insights on the mind-body connection to pain and illness are helpful, as are the practical suggestions for implementing positive affirmations and releasing past hurts. Insightful for people dealing with chronic pain or chronic illness, who've exhausted the medical options and can't figure out where to go from here. The "companion book" is a complementary add-on, helpful in releasing the past if one is ready to do the soul-searching involved.

Many of Louise's views re: our origin and purpose in life will not be shared by every reader, so one must be able to read with an open mind. For instance, she believes we are reincarnated, and that we choose our present circumstances (good or terrible) prior to our incarnation, as we feel that we need to learn lessons from them.)

I've read several of Louise's works. I found this particular book to have smaller type size, so it's not quite as easy to read, though the human (fallible, though insightful) wisdom contained therein is helpful if ingested with discretion.

Video is an interesting add-on, with comments from several different mind-body practitioners.

5.0 out of 5 stars most enjoyable, May 1 2008
Susan Hampel (Calgary, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
i have watched this at least 3 times and have enjoyed it every time. it is well worth the money for the extended version. they did a fantastic job of putting this movie together. there is alot of information one can get out of this movie to help with one's life. i have heard nothing but good about this movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Psychological Side of Healing, Nov. 7 2008
You Can Heal Your Life is all about using your thoughts to fix the problems in your life. What kind of problems? Well, the book specifically looks into healing some pretty major life areas: relationships, work, success, prosperity, and your body. But wait a minute, did I say the book is using thoughts to heal your body? What's up with that? Is that even possible? Well, after reading this book, I think in many cases, yes, it is possible.

While I think it is the way to go to treat things such as an acute appendicitis with surgery, fractures with a cast, and pneumonia with antibiotics, there are many conditions where conventional medicine blatently falls short. Of course I'm talking about health problems such as migraines, backaches, or stomach ulcers- you know, those kinds of nagging disorders where we all know that stress/mental processes DO play a role. But while few would argue that psychological factors can cause an ulcer, what about more serious conditions such as, say, arthritis?

Well it may not be too far fetched. Consider this. One study of 1,198 subjects found that only 56% of men with SEVERE knee arthritis had any pain (Lawrence 1966). Another study X-rayed 84 seventy-nine year-olds and 76 eighty-five year-olds and found that only 43% of them with SEVERE knee arthritis had any pain complaints (Bagge 1991). There are plenty more examples in the scientific literature, but obviously there two alone show us that there is NO clear-cut association between severe knee arthritis and pain.

ON THE OTHER HAND, when one looks at the relationship between psychological variables and knee arthritis, one does see a clear association. For instance, one study looked at 65 patients (ages 55 to 87) with hip and/or knee arthritis. X-rays, pain, depression levels, anxiety levels, coping styles, and functional impairment were all assessed. The findings? Researchers discovered that the severity of one's arthritis showed little relationship to pain, BUT, psychological variables were strong predictors of who had pain and how impaired they were (Summers 1988).

Along the same lines, Salaffi examined 61 women (ages 51-79) with knee arthritis. Here again, results showed that how disabled someone was, was more related to psychological variables than how bad their knee looked on an X-ray film. Interestingly, both anxiety and depression WERE important predictors of pain (Salaffi 1991). Any one conducting a literature review on Medline will find more such examples IF you're looking for them. While I used knee arthritis as an example, there are MANY more studies on other health problems with similar findings.

All of this should be causing us to raise an eyebrow. The literature is telling us that it is far from being clear cut that things like bad knee arthritis ALWAYS mean pain. And the research is also giving us clues that the mind and our thought processes definitely play a role. So the question now becomes, if bad thought patterns can play a role in health problems such as arthritis, why not in other diseases such as cancer, as the book suggests?

You be the judge. I found that the main value in this book was getting me to look at how our thinking does influence the functioning of our bodies- as well as our life in general. Note that I'm NOT saying that you can think yourself well all the time either.

Remember that while Louise Hay did change her thought patterns and was cured of cancer, she has also written that she used other alternative treatments as well, such as foot reflexology and colon therapy (Chapter 16). Therefore, my advice is to look at ALL the options when dealing with a health problem, one MAJOR one being changing your mental patterns (which is the what the book does a nice job of addressing). And for this reason, I can recommend this book to anyone who needs physical healing or otherwise. Other alternative healing books of interest include The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution. Thank you Louise Hay!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie, Sept. 6 2008
N. Miousse (Sept-Iles, Québec Canada) - See all my reviews
Achat vérifié(Quest-ce que cest?)
I just finished watching this movie. It is so inspiring. I'm also reading the book and the movie helps a lot in understanding what needs to be done. Also, all the people who share their views in this movie are not telling you what to do but they explain their beliefs. It all makes sense. As for the extended version, it is the same as what they put in the movie but full length. So far, I only watched 2 (Louise Hay and Doreen Virtue). It's a great addition to the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book!, June 2 2004
A complete eye opener! I was hooked after the first page! A calming approach to a hectic everyday world! Well Done!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Self-Help Classic, Sept. 5 2010
Ce commentaire est de: You Can Heal Your Life (Paperback)
Louise Hay is such an inspirational figure and she shares some terrific advice and exercises in this book. This is a classic to keep on the shelf and revisit whenever you're feeling down, or when you want to accomplish something and take your life to the next level. It's a book you will read over and over again through out the years so it's definitely a great addition to any book shelf.
This books helps readers to heal the wounds of a rough childhood, heal illness with the power of thought, love and accept yourself unconditionally, and open yourself to the abundance of the universe. It's an easy, light read, but a very powerful book. The reader is asked to participate in the healing process through a variety of exercises. This is a very user-friendly book in that you can read the whole thing or just focus on one section at a time. It's a terrific book that is very accessible to all readers, young or old, whether you read a lot or a little- you will get something positive from this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can heal your life, July 3 2004
Amazon Customer (Uralsk, Kazakhstan) - See all my reviews
I have a gift edition of the book. And it was one of the first self-improvement books I ever read. I am happy that I picked Louise Hay. She is a Master in making people feel great about themselves and cut criticism and megative thoughts that often creep into our minds and try to make us feel miserable. I can tell you that after reading the book you start to work on your mind and finally you change your life. It has exercises and affirmations that do significant improvements in your life and even in your looks. If you buy a gift edition the book of Meditations is really good. A meditation on headache almed and treated mine right after I read it several times. And illustrations... You can buy the book only to see amazing work of Joan Perrin Falquet.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Psychological Side of Healing, Nov. 11 2010
You Can Heal Your Life (Gift Edition) is all about using your thoughts to fix the problems in your life. What kind of problems? Well, the book specifically looks into healing some pretty major life areas: relationships, work, success, prosperity, and your body. But wait a minute, did I say the book is using thoughts to heal your body? What's up with that? Is that even possible? Well, after reading this book, I think in many cases, yes, it is possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK CHANGED MY LIFE, April 30 2003
By A Customer
I know my story is going to sound like a joke, but here it is: I was working at a job that was substantially below my skill level, with the boss from hell. On top of that, I was overweight, feeling miserable, and well...my life was just not what I had hoped for. THEN, I read this book (May of 1999). It took a while, but slowly but surely my life started to change. At first, I thought the changes were in my mind, but within two weeks, I started to realize that I was thinking differently, and things just started to turn around. The affirmations are just so very powerful --- it is just amazing! Within a few months I lost the extra weight (36 pounds), and I look substantially younger. On top of that, within one year, I got my dream job, with the dream salary (my salary doubled). My friends, and family started to comment about the fantastic turn of events in my life. They are in awe! I do my affirmations every night before I go to bed. Some people have camomille tea before they go to bed, I do my affirmations. Give this book a try you have nothing to lose, and EVERYTHING to gain.

You Can Heal Your Life
You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay (Paperback - Jan. 1 1984)
CDN$ 15.99 CDN$ 11.54