Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Cyber Monday in Lawn & Garden

Format: PaperbackChange

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 16, 2010
I am not an enthusiastic fish eater but I do occasionally like to try fish dishes (especially Chinese) and this book is one of the best. As with all Wei-Chuan books there are photographs for each and every recipe. Even though I may not try more than a few recipes I do enjoy seeing the beautiful way in which each has been presented.

Prospective purchasers should be aware that the recipes are exclusively fish and *not* shellfish (although, somewhat curiously, there is a recipe for 'Turtle in Soy Sauce' at page 80). There is also a recipe, at p.78 entitled 'Shark lips in Soy Sauce' and I confess that this is the first I have heard of Shark even *having* lips (although, after doing a bit of on-line research, I learned that shark lips is actually shark skin that has been prepared in a particular way). Still, it sounds an incredibly interesting ingredient and I hope I can locate it somewhere in order to tryout the recipe.

I also am very interested in trying the 'Squirrel-Patterned Fish' (p.37). I have seen similar recipes in other books and wish to be able to duplicate the way the fish is cut before being cooked (unfortunately, this book, as with others I have, doesn't provide the clearest of instructions for the actual cutting technique). The picture of the finished dish is somewhat helpful but I would very much have liked some step-by-step pictures like the ones they provide for filleting fish at the beginning of the book. In any event, that is only a minor quibble that I have with this great cookbook and I heartily recommend it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 22, 2000
This is one of my favorites. The beautiful color pictures are great. The instructions are simple and easy to follow. The list of ingredients clear. I tried many of the dishes and haven't been disappointed yet.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse