4.0 out of 5 stars The amazing power of choices, and other parenting tips
Basically, this book is about how to create a positive learning environment for our children, by giving them control of non-essential choices designed to be the desired outcome regardless of which choice they choose. It also provides some great insight into how to create a trusting and positive environment while teaching some positive habits.
My wife read this book...
Published on Feb. 4 2004 by Michael Erisman

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for my family
Published on Feb. 24 2004 by Amy A Adams

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for my family, Feb. 24 2004
Amy A Adams (Manassas, Va United States) - See all my reviews
Parenting with love and Logic was extremely disappointing to me. I am in the process filling out adoption paperwork for a special needs child. the ideas of (as examples stated in this book) putting my child in the basement when they are having a tantrum and harming themselves, or of denying my child supper because he neglected to feed the cat by 5 PM (on the basis of "Mommy feeds 3 mouths. Since you didn't feed the cat, tonight those 3 mouths are Mommy, Daddy and the cat) are appalling. Many examples involved enlisting friends who would be willing to follow your children home after you put them out of the car, were willing to stay overnight at your home (after your child's waking you up in the middle of the night prompted you and your spouse to go to a hotel) or to hang around the store/mall waiting to see if your child would misbehave, so you could call them and have them take the child home. This book operates on the assumption that children are "Miniature Adults" and if that's your theory as well, perhaps this book will be of value to you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Goody-goody love-and-logic parenting, Jan. 25 2002
Michael J Welch (Saint Paul, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This book's writing style is not my cup of tea. I don't like the religious references nor the descriptive dialogues used to portray a point. Seems a bit patronizing to me.
But the book does have it right when it says "fighting" words are wrong. I strongly disagree with the spanking and cannot advise any parents to use such "power"-tool even on doggy-basics.
What I absolutely dislike are the questioning "love-and-logic" ways of parenting. When you use that technique it is true that the children do not quite feel like fighting BUT (and that is a big but) you coerce and manipulate the children into a mold that fits your beliefs and when the children get to the point to figure that out you will have lost. The choices cannot only be choices that will in the end not let the children learn their lesson.
It is this manipulative undertone of the book that has me up the wall.
If you are looking for an author who approaches the subject from a similiar viewpoint (healthy authority with love) turn to Kevin Leman. His humorous and engaging writing has me enthralled. His books deal at the same time with the parental interrelation as well as the relation between kids and parents. I enjoy that approach and can recommend his writing.
Best regards
Kristin und Michael, right now in Berlin, Germany

4.0 out of 5 stars The amazing power of choices, and other parenting tips, Feb. 4 2004
My wife read this book first and I noticed an immediate change in how she reacted to our rather headstrong two-year old. Staying calm, and giving choices like: Do you want to have milk before you go to bed, or juice? This instead of the battle on whether or not she was going to bed. We find ourselves laughing at some of the absurd choices we come up with, and it's harder than it appears to consistently think this way. What is easy to see is that it works, and works well. Some of our biggest battles over dressing, or going to bed, or eating dinner have become much easier and the "uh-oh" said calmly has stopped some poor behavior in its tracks!
While we both embrace the fact that testing the limits is a natural and healthy way for young children to learn, this book gave some great insights on how to facilitate and not discourage that type of learning, and yet still teach the right behaviors.
I was not thrilled with the overall editing and layout of the book, as it jumped around a bit, and half-way through would say things like: This may not work for children under three! OK, this is information we could have used four chapters ago when the authors were making a point we were attempting to follow. That minor complaint notwithstanding, this is an excellent book and is highly recommended for all parents with young children.

1.0 out of 5 stars Neither love nor logic..., May 23 2002
By A Customer
This book was not helpful at all. It has too many religious references, and also the whole tone is kinda patronizing.
More importantly, it seems to take the idea of natural consequences to the extreme. Don't get me wrong, I truly belive that children have to learn to make their own choices and deal with the consequences, but it is parent's responsibility to guide your child toward the right ones. I don't believe that any parent in her right mind will allow her child to go outside in winter without a jacket... unless she hates her child and wants him to get pneumonia!
And spanking... well, many parents spank their children, but let me tell you from personal experience, spanking is a sign of frustration and hopelessness. Children can sense your frustration which doesn't add any credibility to you as a parent. Also what kind of sick demented person would set a goal of spanking their child as painfully as possible? What most important, this method of parenting doesn't work, as simple as that. Yes, you can manipulate your child into doing what you want, but you are teaching him wrong lesson here. You are teaching him that violence is not just ok, it's the best method of dealing with difficult situations.
If you want a good parentig book, read "Setting Limits : How to Raise Responsible, Independent Children by Providing Clear Boundaries" by Robert J. Mac Kenzie, Robert J. MacKenzie .

1.0 out of 5 stars Not My Favorite, Aug. 31 2000
By A Customer
"Kids suffer too." is about the extent of insight into the effect of divorce on children. These authors use a gender-stereotyped, dogmatic,black and white theory of disciplining kids. They suggest demeaning broadside attacks rather than guidance or setting the child up for success. As an alternative, I would highly recommend "Boundaries"and "Boundaries with Kids"by Cloud and Townsend or "The Explosive Child " by Greene. I was very disappointed with "Love and Logic" and won't buy anymore in the series.Natural consequences are good,this book isn't.

1.0 out of 5 stars No love, no logic here!, June 19 1998
By A Customer
There are so many better parenting books out now that there is no need to read this one! Where is the love & logic in hitting a child under the age of 3 over & over until he complies? Where is the logic in letting a dog be gassed at the dog pound instead of feeding it? One part of the child rearing technique is called Basic German Shepherd commands (come, sit, go, no stay). The misguided authors actually seem to believe in this! It's scary! This book only got a rating of 1 because there was no choice of 0. If you need a book about firm discipline & don't want to train your children like dogs (which they most certainly are not), try a much more humane approach, such as in Jane Nelsen's "Positive Discipline A to Z" or Jerry Wyckoff's "Without Shouting or Spanking." Please don't use this book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Parenting With Love and Logic, May 2 2003
By A Customer
Logic without love!! As a family counselor, I found the underlying principles sound and logical. However, after reading the book and workbook, I too was appalled at some of the examples used, such as advocating sending a small child to school without a coat or lunch. I also failed to see the humor in Basic German Shepherd Training, if that is what it was intended to be. The writing style is patronizing and the authors obviously live in a different world than I do. I can only hope that my clients, or anyone else for that matter, would not follow the advice of the book to ignore a situation where you have observed your child strike another child until they run away crying, or to respond to your child's failing grades only with a demeaning snappy comeback "How sad for you. Not to worry. We will still love you if you do this grade again next year."! I found this and "The Famous Last Words" and "One Liners" not only degrading, but lacking in acceptance of parental responsibility. I am in total agreement with the principle of using natural and logical consequences to teach responsibility, but believe it would be dreadful to respond to the example given of a child's comment "You don't love me anymore!" or "You just don't care about me." with the suggested retorts: "Nice try." or "It must be a bummer having a parent who doesn't care." Children do indeed learn from their parent's model, so don't be surprised if sarcastic remarks result in a smart aleck child! PLEASE do not take this book literally. "Pick Up Your Socks" by Crary or the "SOS For Parents" series are practical guides to teaching 'love and logic' without the borderline abuse, humiliation, and sarcasm. And if you send your eight year old to school for a week without a coat or lunch, (who also has failing grades and hits other children without any intervention by you--a scenario supported by the authors) do not be surprised to see Human Services at your door!

5.0 out of 5 stars BUY THIS BOOK!!!, Nov. 24 2003
I was introduced to "Love & Logic" at a professional development seminar for teachers. I started using the principles in my classroom and eliminated so many of the struggles. I decided to buy the parenting book (this book) for my sister when she gave birth to my nephew. I ended up reading the whole thing, too, and have implemented many suggestions when I babysit for her. My nephew, who is only 2-1/2, is now a master at making choices and understanding that he doesn't get to make all the choices. He recently wanted to buy lemonade and chocolate milk at the store. I told him he had to choose...no muss, no fuss, he chose and put the lemonade back in the cooler. He has been making choices for himself since before he could walk, and I fully believe that the empowerment this book, this system, brings to kids helps them make the really big, important choices later in life. I've used the principles in the classroom and with all my nieces and nephews. They feel like they have control and options while understanding that there are consequences for bad decisions. My husband and I are the favorite aunt and uncle...and we have fewer problems when watching the kids than anyone else. They're happy, we're happy. What more could you want? Do yourself and your child's future teachers a favor and BUY THIS BOOK! I've got my copy ready for my daughter on the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's like having a friend with advice at your fingertips!, Sept. 5 2003
B. Zawlocki (Washington) - See all my reviews
This book was a gift given to me by a professional in the field of child behavior. This book really does help me keep an open mind about my children and offers tools that help a parent cope with a problem instead of just blowing up. As parents we all have to decide how to handle each and every situation as each is different, but this book gives guidelines how to respond in alternate ways to a variety of problems encountered with children. My favorite is the "defiant" child chapter and let me tell you...the advice given there really does work with my kids! It's amazing.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Turned on the Lights for Me, Sept. 2 2003
Penny Stinson (Edmonton, Alberta) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parenting With Love And Logic (Audio Cassette)
I never thought of myself as a 'hover-mother' and felt I was able to step back and allow my kids to learn from their mistakes, but this book opened my eyes to how 'hands-in' I really was in their lives.
In short, adopting the principles laid out in this book has given me permission to let logical consequences do the teaching. It takes me out of the role of monitor and micro-manager, the bad guy, and other villain roles I had been playing.
The detractors snuff on about letting a child go hungry or without a coat -- missing a snack or meal is a choice they make and, no, they will not starve. We have snow here 5-6 months a year -- so our question is 'do you want to wear your coat or carry it?' The distance between the house and the garage or the car and the schoolyard is enough to help them make up their minds at -20 C! You have to be sensible about how you make the premises work in your own family.
The concepts here have given me a strategy for regaining my sanity. My kids are 6, 5 and 4. My book is out on loan, so I'm buying a couple to pass around.

Parenting With Love And Logic
Parenting With Love And Logic by Foster Cline (Audio Cassette - March 12 1998)
Used & New from: CDN$ 22.18