5.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this book!!
Published on March 28 2003 by Wade Sandstrom

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite that great
Sorry, this book is not that great. You get a very brief one or two page article about each country. You don't really learn much about the author, the country, or motorcycling.
He is also an American hater. Whining about how we ravaged the Indians, the buffalo, etc. He is drawn to the poverty of third worlders and disgusted by the plenty of the American...
Published on Aug. 3 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this book!!, March 28 2003
Wade Sandstrom (Longville, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 10 Years on 2 Wheels: 77 Countries, 250,000 Miles (Hardcover)
It may make you quit your job, and find out that there's more to life than money and looking good for the neighbors. I ordered this book with high hopes, and was not let down one bit. Well, I shouldn't say that, I wish it were thicker. As everyone who's ever seen it has commented, the photography is wonderful, and truly comes as close to letting you feel a part of the adventure, as is possible, without leaches down your pants and a bike between your thies. The book is organized into minnie stories, lasting one or two pages, dedicated to a particular country or area. The story is also intriguing, though without the pictures, it would be a bit dry to read as a novel. But it isn't a novel, it's a picture book, and the words and images fuse. The pictures alone are interesting, the story makes them real. The world is full of posers and dare devils, Helge is neither. The book is written in a way that is almost completely devoid of ego. Helge never brags about anything he's accomplished, he seems to be completely appreciative of each situation, and this view point enhanced my enjoyment of "Ten Years" immensly. Ego distracts us from what we are doing, and causes us to focus more on an idea than an action. Helge wants you to know he's just an average guy who descided to do something less ordinary with his life. He's not any better or worse than you, he's just different. If your buy this book, there's a very good chance that you'll catch yourself staring at a wall, imagining yourself into Helge's shoes, or possibly into your own shoes on an adventure of your own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning story. Stunning photos., Jan. 16 2004
By A Customer
Awesome... and beautiful! This is one of the prize books in my collection of tomes about motorycling touring. It's right up there with Ted Simon's "Jupiter's Travels" and Christopher Baker's "Mi Moto Fidel: Motorcycling Through Castro's Cuba," a fascinating and sometimes hilarious, sometimes hair-raising story of a 7,000-mile journey and justifiably the winner of both the 2002 "Travel Book of the Year" and the North American Travel Journalist Association's Awards of Excellence "Grand Prize."

5.0 out of 5 stars This book really touches your heart, Oct. 30 2003
I've discovered this book when ordering some spare parts for my motorcycle at Touratech USA, and it instantly got my attention.
Looks like a book written from the heart, no selfishness on the author, just pure and sincere observation of the people and the places. I even use the book as an inspiration for night tales to my young daugthers, and since I've traveled a lot, the girls believe that I was soemtimes part of Helge's story.
I have emailed Mr. Pedersen for advice on a trip to Patagonia. In no time he gave me his travel tips to get the best out of my bike. A nice person as a whole
Buy this book or give as a gift to somebody that you really appreciate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, Aug. 20 2002
Helge is a man posessed. They say life is a journey well for Helge Pedersen that is literally true. What I especially liked about this book is that he has a truly realistic look at the countries he is traveling and lives and works with the locals to get to know them better. He takes risks that I would never be comfortable with but I can enjoy reading about them from the comfort of my living room. The only negative is the price of the book but you have to expect that I guess with the color photos etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nicer Guy You Will Never Meet, March 25 2002
Noel Hastings "Emergency Medicine MD" (Sacramento, CA) - See all my reviews
If there is one thing I can say about Helge from the little time we have spent talking is that he is honest. His photography in this book is honest. His love of people from all over the world is honest, and his text in "10 Years on 2 Wheels" is sincere. He left home looking to see the world, not conquer it. For anyone who has experienced, or has dreamt of experiencing frosty mornings in places far away with nothing but a tent, campstove and innocent anticipation of the road ahead, you need this book. It is about freedom, seeing the world as a citizen of the world, not as a spectator. Freedom from schedules and ownership, just you and your bike and the goodwill of those you meet on your travels.
Helge has a deep, resonant voice that matches his big Norwegian frame, and no one can tell a story quite like he can. This book is written in much the style that he would tell a story. Do yourself a favor and buy this book, it costs much less than those new rain shells you don't need or that expensive dinner that will remain with you for but a few hours. You will see the world in a way few ever will. Also, if you get a chance to see one of his slideshows and hear him tell his stories in person it is well worth it. Check out his website...

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing journey, incredible photographs, March 1 2002
Erin K. Darling "naive cynic" (olympia, wa) - See all my reviews
Helge is one of those amazing people who can precisely capture a moment on film - whether it's a remarkable shot like that of Olga in a tiny canoe, or his own profile, snapped with one hand as he rides along in the desert, he puts us right there with him. He's a remarkable man, who spends a goodly amount of time leading groups of people on motorcycle tours all over the world. If we Seattle-ites are lucky, he'll then come back and put on a slide show presentation a local BMW shop.
_10 Years on 2 Wheels_ is the story of his incredible journey around the world on his bike. He suffered through truly horrid conditions; multiple feet of snow, scorching hot sun, abysmally wet days and nights...he's given new meaning to the term "gut it out." This book takes you to all of the places he went, and shows many of the adverse conditions he went through. Viewing the photographs, and reading the accompanying texts, the reader is indeed present during Helge's travels. We see unspoken details of people's lives in countries we may never travel to ourselves, the splendor of some of the world's best scenery, and more.
I recommend this book highly to anyone who appreciates fine photography, travelogues, or motorcycles. You'll be shaking your head in amazement throughout the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable!, Aug. 27 2001
Carlo Muttoni (Vicenza (italy)) - See all my reviews
Helge Pedersen is not only a great traveller. He is also a gifted photographer. His words are far from being flamboyant and his cool style reminds me of the best pages of Amundsen's Antarctic Diary. Everything speaks the language of clarity and sincerity. You can see this guy has got some wisdom from having put so many miles behind his back. It is an inspiring reading for motorcycle enthusiasts and wanna-be travellers. I strongly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating!, March 17 2001
Big pictures accompanied by concise, captivating adventures that give a feel for each region. It is a must read/view for anyone interested in the world, world travel, or motorcycle touring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating!, March 17 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Up Close and Personal, Feb. 4 2001
"Up close and personal" is how I'd describe Helge Pedersen's collected tales of his 10 year solo peregrination around the world on motorcycle back. How does Mr. Pedersen tell the monumental story of quarter of a million miles on the road? By treating us to vignettes in words and pictures that embed colorful memory bits in the traveler's psyche. Without totally covering us with the mud and exhaustion that undoubtedly filled many of his waking and sleeping hours, Mr. Pedersen instead treats us to slices of life we'd never in a million years be able to experience. He cleverly weaves a Scheherezadian tale full of people and politics, nature and native customs, friendships and hardships, and with each chapter leaves us begging for more. Each photograph is also a journey in itself, giving us an angle of view that makes us feel we're right in the action as it unfolds. The "Geographic" quality photos are further enhanced by the creative graphic design of the book which sets the dramatic stage for us to enjoy Mr. Pedersen's adventures to the fullest.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

10 Years on 2 Wheels: 77 Countries, 250,000 Miles
10 Years on 2 Wheels: 77 Countries, 250,000 Miles by Helge Pedersen (Hardcover - June 1998)
Used & New from: CDN$ 91.22