5.0 out of 5 stars A must have, June 21 2005
Michel Lauzon (St-Hubert, Québec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Improvising Blues Piano (Paperback)
I'm not a good pianist but I'm playing blues bass since more than 20 years.
I did purchased a lot of books, but this one is really the best. When my teacher saw it, he immediately ask where he could purchased it.
A lot of songs, exercises and explanation
The book is not only about improvising, it's also about all kind of left-hand pattern and I know what I'm talking about. The example on the CD are also great
If at first looks it seems expensive you will see that it is worth every penny

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply fantastic, March 31 2010
Samuel Dulmage (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Improvising Blues Piano (Paperback)
I'm just starting out with blues piano and this is just the book I've been looking for. Great difficulty curve, great mix of theory and practise. I'm also a fan of the excellent "Blues, Boogie and Barrelhouse Piano Workbook" by Aaron Blumenfeld, but I found that the difficulty of the latter book increased too quickly for me and much of the theory was difficult for me to understand. "Improvising Blues Piano" is just exactly right. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best self-learning blues piano book, Oct. 21 2006
Book Nut (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Improvising Blues Piano (Paperback)
I've flipped and browsed thru many blues piano books but this one takes first prize. Lots of graduated examples, a CD, and cool historic photos and notes. Big thumbs up. Get it if you want to learn dem blues.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wealth of information and skills for building., Jan. 2 2013
Collin C. Carbno (Regina, Saskatchewan Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Improvising Blues Piano (Paperback)
The book has a unique way of introducing a concept, giving you complete note example to work on, then provides you with structure to do improvization practice. I've been practicing an hour a day since I got the book, and there is just so much to learn and master. Every piece introduces some new patterns, if a person could master everything in this book, you come a long way to being a professional blues piano player. I can feel and difference in my approach and performance already.

Interesting people stories in the book, and then powerful point by point explanations of some of the things happening on each piece. I've been really impressed with the page of insights the book gives around each piece. Tips for how it works, why it works, ways to play it better, etc. If you interested in blues piano, whether a beginner or intermediate, there is likely lots to put your teeth into here.

Improvising Blues Piano
Improvising Blues Piano by Tim Richards (Paperback - Nov. 1 1997)
CDN$ 44.60 CDN$ 26.30